Needs or wants

I don't see anything wrong with accepting help just not being dependent on it.

When I had my 3rd child, there was some paperwork to fill out to receive $4000 from the government.

I threw it in the bin!

Later that year my accountant asked why I didn't submit that form and explained that it was not income tested, he lodged it and in the end of year financials I saw that the $4000 was received in one of the accounts.

I also saw people complaining that $4000 was not enough and began listing the expenses associated with having a baby!

I was not expecting help from anyone and to me a gift of $4000 was received with gratitude. Even $10 that I did not earn is a gift.

I have never put myself in a position where I need it and looking after my kids is my responsibility not the governments!

You can enjoy these little bonuses every now and them but I for one will never become a dependent part of that system.

I have never put myself in a position where I need it and looking after my kids is my responsibility not the governments!

You can enjoy these little bonuses every now and them but I for one will never become a dependent part of that system.

Hey Xenia,

That's why your very successful! It still amazes me how many ppl blame the government, their parents, society, circumstances, taxes,bad luck etc etc for the lack of their success. They refuse to acknowledge its totally their doing.

Well done to you!

Leo

Hey Xenia,

That's why your very successful! It still amazes me how many ppl blame the government, their parents, society, circumstances, taxes,bad luck etc etc for the lack of their success. They refuse to acknowledge its totally their doing.

Well done to you!

Leo
In some instances things can be totally out of their control; but it's how they respond to it that is the critical factor.

A child born into poverty, welfare and being a non-contributor (like their parents in this example) doesn't have to follow that path.

It is their free will to decide to opt for a better outcome for their lives, or do nothing about it and make excuses..

The ones who do opt for a better outcome are like most folks here on SS (and many are from poor backgrounds I've noticed) in that smaller group of doers and folks who won't make excuses, or blame an outside factor for inactivity and/or lack of success.

I don't see anything wrong with accepting help just not being dependent on it.

When I had my 3rd child, there was some paperwork to fill out to receive $4000 from the government.

I threw it in the bin!

Later that year my accountant asked why I didn't submit that form and explained that it was not income tested, he lodged it and in the end of year financials I saw that the $4000 was received in one of the accounts.

I also saw people complaining that $4000 was not enough and began listing the expenses associated with having a baby!

I was not expecting help from anyone and to me a gift of $4000 was received with gratitude. Even $10 that I did not earn is a gift.

Ah, yes, Xen! Kudos.

But; you are preaching to the choir here on SS - most here are non-excuse, non-dependent folks and make their own (good) luck.

In some instances things can be totally out of their control; but it's how they respond to it that is the critical factor.

Bayview I completely agree. There is a segment of people who have had much out of their control. I do think its really a small amount of ppl here in Australia though.

Leo

thanks Bayview and Leo

I know that this is the place where people can resonate otherwise people would have no idea how to take all that.

also, I'm happy that we are living in a place where we - those of us who are young enough and well enough to be working and creating money - pay more taxes (relatively to other countries) but have a society where those in need are looked after.

this was by no means meant to be unsympathetic towards those who are unable to achieve but more geared towards a discussion with those who are able.

Being financially independent so as not to rely on the government is a valid goal.

However as long as we pay taxes we will always be interdependent, and if in their infinite wisdom the government provides a tax incentive I can take advantage of I will not reject it.

In regard to dependence on government funding, there will always be people who will not be able to look after themselves and as a caring society it is our responsibility to help these people.

Others will struggle from time to time and as a caring society we should provide support to get them back on their feet.

However no caring society should make it more tempting for a person to be unemployed rather than employed for this undermines that persons value.

Throwing money at the problem does not make it go away, if anything it normalises the issue, leads to intergenerational unemployment, and ever increasing expectation that the government (tax payers) will carry the load.

Unemployment benefits are a solution to a short term issue and in order to receive benefits for longer periods recipients should be expected do something in return.

Andrew

I came from a family who struggled for money. Week in and week out. My mum went without for me and my sisters. When I was in my teens and started my apprenticeship. I was so excited to have money. I spent it like there was no tomorrow.
Then one day something clicked. I didn't want to live the life of struggling everyday. I wanted to to be able to support my family. I started reading, surrounding myself with positive people and learn from them.
What I'm trying to say is, it's a choice. You got to want to succeed. You need have that drive.

?When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you?ll be successful.? - Eric Thomas

Back