Negative gearing safe, says Swan

Why the hell do they think that we would provide housing in an often -cf environment without some sweetener. I certainly dont think that the CG is enough reward, especially considering some the the crap we have to put up with tenant-wise !.

From the article:
Addressing an Australian Council of Social Service conference in Canberra yesterday, Assistant Treasurer Nick Sherry said the government wanted to position tax reform as a long-term undertaking. "We will be encouraging a genuine national debate by approaching tax reform with an eye to the next decade and beyond," he said.

I think Assistant Treasurer Nick Sherry should have more accurately replaced the word "decade" in his quote, with the word "election" to read: "We will be encouraging a genuine national debate by approaching tax reform with an eye to the next election and beyond," :D

Why the hell do they think that we would provide housing in an often -cf environment without some sweetener. I certainly dont think that the CG is enough reward, especially considering some the the crap we have to put up with tenant-wise !.

there in lies the beauty... bannish this -cf stuff forever and allow the market to reflect reality. the risks taken are simply too great to justify the measly returns on offer.

it's coming up to Easter, tiem to start thinking about which eggs my tenants would like. maybe one of those great big dinosaur eggs - whoo hoo! that'll get em on board and hopefully they won't stick the fry pan on the laminex bench top

there in lies the beauty... bannish this -cf stuff forever and allow the market to reflect reality. the risks taken are simply too great to justify the measly returns on offer

I don't have strong argument againts this, as long as they do address all government taxes and banish stamp duty & land tax etc that also distorts the market.

Governments can't pick their poison. Its all or nothing.

I don't have strong argument againts this, as long as they do address all government taxes and banish stamp duty & land tax etc that also distorts the market.

Governments can't pick their poison. Its all or nothing.

Hey Buzz,

You missed one. If we can't claim negatively geared interest losses (like in the US) on investment properties, then in similarly to the US we should be allowed to tax deduct the interest bill on our PPOR's ..........then we can all gear ourselves to the hilt and purchase trophy homes to outdo the neighbours, friends and relo's most of whom we can't stand anyway. :rolleyes:

It would be nice if we could secure non-recourse loans on a NINJA (No Income, No Job or Assets) basis and have the flexibility of posting back the keys to the lender via "jingle mail" if we're jack of our commitments.

Then we would be in good company and the US wouldn't feel so alone. :p

I hear the Sovereign Islands have many trophy abodes for sale at the moment and they're on special............Maybe a stint up north is beckoning.............

Back