Negative gearing to be abolished July 1

RIP Gillard government :)

RIP renters, yields will go up...

Im with MW, I think some sort of prank as it'd be political suicide if that happend.

Usually when there is changes it applies to any further investments, and excludes properties already held.
I was just reading an article that 1 in 3 homes in Australia is an IP. I was surprised it was so high.

There's no way known Julia Gillard would drop a bombshell like that without a lot of advance warning to us all. You would have been hearing about enquiry after enquiry for months with all sorts of debates and models of impact etc. In short, we would have been "warned" it was coming so it didn't catch us completely off guard and get us all riled up.

Nice try though, might get a few people going...

Cheers,
Michael

Yep, it's been talked about for a long time and it's been on my mind if I wanted to purchase any more properties before it came in.

What a silly idea.

If we couldn't deduct the losses of our investments from our taxable income it would make no sense to invest.
In fact the investors would dissapear and they would need to start providing public housing in an already VERY VERY tight rental market.

They would also have to apply the same principle to other forms of investment eg shares

I also think it is a hoax but bv it is possible for any government to put exclusions or exemptions onto asset classes without changing the nature of other or similar asset classes.

E.g the family home is exempt from cgt, small businesses receive many tax concessions, etc so it would be very plausible to have a restriction on negative gearing for new residential properties without having to change the gearing for other types of investments.

Back