Negotiating

Hi,

I'm just about to complete on the purchase of a three cottage dwelling in Canberra.

I thought I hadn't done a great deal of negotiating a price. We came in at below asking price, but $2,500 rather that the $10,000 starting point.

But the vendor was quite happy. In her new place, she had the carpet, in good condition, and gas wall heating unit removed- and let me have them for the cottage which doesn't have heating. She's going to remodel her kitchen shortly as well, and will give me the stove which is much better than the one in the cottage.

So I've learnt a lesson. Leaving good will can help.

Somebody a while back asked about negotiating. I don't think there were any replies.

I'm in the middle of a book which I'm learning a great deal from, and which I would recommend. It's called "How to get the Be$t Deal Every Time... without rubbing people the wrong way". Some great ideas on negotiating everything- from real estate to your kids. Well worth a read. (It is an Australian book).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Aaaah,

The old "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" adage!

True...

You will never get anywhere pissing off the other side in a negotiation. Always leave them feeling that they won. You might be surprised what else happens!

asy

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 1.1

>
> From: "Asy ." <[email protected]>
> You will never get anywhere pissing off the other side in a
negotiation.
> Always leave them feeling that they won. You might be surprised what
else
> happens!

So asy,

When will you be taking the negotiating magic tour national?

Jas

To paraphrase Charles Mackay - By the vile arts of stock-jobbers!

Reply: 1.1.1

working on it, Jas.

Getting there...

asy

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 1.1.1.1

I've been listening to a guy called Roger Dawson who has written about negotiating, not just real estate but in life. Some very useful info.

Back