Neighbour abuse and defamation

Hello all,

Here's the situation. There is a strata owners corporation where an owner (at the same time strata executive committee member) regularly abuses another unit owner and also sends defamatory emails about that owner to all executives and sometimes other owners as well. The aggrieved party has already requested to stop this behaviour, but the abuses and defamation keep happening.

What could be the right way to stop this? Would be great to get some advise and maybe something that comes from experience in the similar situations.
Obviously in this case just reasonable talk doesn't help.

Thanks!

Hello all,

Here's the situation. There is a strata owners corporation where an owner (at the same time strata executive committee member) regularly abuses another unit owner and also sends defamatory emails about that owner to all executives and sometimes other owners as well. The aggrieved party has already requested to stop this behaviour, but the abuses and defamation keep happening.

What could be the right way to stop this? Would be great to get some advise and maybe something that comes from experience in the similar situations.
Obviously in this case just reasonable talk doesn't help.

Thanks!

How bazzar. Surely BC should step in when someone is getting abused in a meeting!

I usually find an anonymous letter posted with a bullet and a note saying 'Today this was delivered by mail, next time it will be delivered by airmail' usually brings results!

pinkboy

Keep all the defamatory emails. Keep log on all the abuse.
Save money then go sue them :p
I assume the aggrieved party didn't do anything wrong tho? Why do this person specifically target this unit owner?

If this is in NSW check out the anti bullying legislation .

In our company title block , we had a few issues we were unsure about and had a solicitor john Morrissey , come in and talk to us for an hour or so and answer questions six weeks ago .m He runs work shops for company title management .

He was quite clear cut about the way to go in situations like this and that is to report it to which ever body is involved in supervising the anti bullying legislation ( new legislation ) . They have teeth .

What this person is doing is inappropriate and they should be stopped .

Do that first , and then follow the guidelines .

If they are doing inappropriate things , then it maybe quite feasible to get them kicked off the strata board ... That can be used a lever .

Even go to the point of recording a meeting for record . I've done that when I want to be able to prove what happened , but they would need to be aware you're recording it . If they're dumb enough to send inflammatory emails they're unlikely to object

We are about to include a new house rule saying every one should behave in a polite and civil manner etc ...

Cliff

I didn't read that this was happening at a meeting?

What sort of things are in the emails? What are the attacks about?

Assuming they are unfounded, I would be making a police statement. Perhaps a visit to the abuser from the boys in blue might make them sit up and take notice.

Get someone to Place a dead cat at their front door step. Preferably the abuser's cat. lol.

Oh, alright, that's a bit drastic. Try negotiation (boring!).

Get someone to Place a dead cat at their front door step. Preferably the abuser's cat. lol.

Oh, alright, that's a bit drastic. Try negotiation (boring!).

Yes. Killing a defenseless animal for a bit of revenge is drastic. And inappropriate. There was no lol from me at that comment.

Anyhoo... To the OP.. Have you raised this with your strata manager?

I usually find an anonymous letter posted with a bullet and a note saying 'Today this was delivered by mail, next time it will be delivered by airmail' usually brings results!

pinkboy

My thoughts exactly. Go knock on the persons door and throw a bullet at them and then say the next one is coming a lot quicker

OK VT. it could be a road kill. That way no animal has been intentionally harmed.

Just got to have some sympathy for the poor human victim of abuse.

pinkboy

That's an interesting idea :) Though I am against anonymous messages, because it doesn't help anyone, but makes things worse.

Keep all the defamatory emails. Keep log on all the abuse.
Save money then go sue them :p
I assume the aggrieved party didn't do anything wrong tho? Why do this person specifically target this unit owner?

From what I see so far, the aggrieved party just raises issues that others don't like much or would like to not resolve it. Though the issues are all relevant and not wrong . i.e. the defamatory statement could be "unit x has done this" when it's not true. or "unit x asks for money from the sinking fund" - when the spending is approved by all owners, or "unit x is a lunatic" or "unit x is ignorant and ill-informed".

From experience, nope!
Not everyone want to speak up or get into confrontation.

I totally agree with that - majority of people just don't do anything. We had a situation when at the meeting of executive committe one of the members said " if you touch the strata manager you will see what I am going to do with you". The strata manager was a friend of that person. Nobody said anything in response! Though the way was found how to get rid of that strata manager at the end. :)

If they're serious get an avo.

Thanks for advise! As I wrote above, here's the examples: "unit x has done this" when it's not true, or "unit x asks for money from the sinking fund" - when the spending is approved by all owners, or "unit x is a lunatic" or "unit x is ignorant and ill-informed". All those statements make the unit x owner look like a bad person which obviously damage reputation and may cause serious consequences.

Back