neighbour and fence

we have a new neighbour moved in recently.
There is an existing 1.2 m chicken wire fence on the common boundary.
He is going to install a 1.8 M white color bond fence immediately adjoining to the common fence say 1 inch within his side of the boundary.
I am extremely not happy about it.
Can he just do anything he wants just because he has money and wants to make his house a fortress?
Can I do anything about it?
Who should I talk to ?

Hi Windmill,

Start with the local council, if you can, go there and talk to someone, that way you can ask as many questions as you like.

These may be things you don't want to hear - sorry about that - but your neighbour wants his privacy and is entitled to it. It's clear that you probably aren't going to get on with them now anyway so it's probably best your on opposite sides of the fence. Ever heard of the saying "Good fences make good neighbours" - it's a saying for a reason. ;)

As it's on HIS property there won't be anything you can say or do about stopping him putting up his choice of fence UNLESS he's breaking some council regulation which you could check up on. Some councils don't allow colorbond, some have restrictions on height etc.

I would suggest you learn to love it, especially the fact that you didn't have to pay for any of it, :D and once it's erected treat it as a support and attach lovely brushwood fencing (or something else you like) onto it OR grab a spray paint gun and spray it a colour you prefer on your side.

Olly

The neighbour is perfectly in the right here, assuming he is breaking no council regulations. In fact you should be grateful as he is paying 100% of the cost as that is not typical at all.

I have to agree with what others have said. If it is within council regulations then there is nothing you can do about it unless he asks you to pay half.

If he wants to make his house a fortress he has every right to - a mans home is his castle and all that. Really can't see why you are so upset to tell the truth.

Like the others, I really can't see what all the fuss is about.

Wish the neighbours on all my props did the same.

If you really object to his fence preference, and you could afford to go halves in an alternative, mutually agreeable style, would that not provide you with another option? And perhaps promote a more enjoyable neighbour?

Reactions: Les
Back