Neighbour attitudes to IPs

Warning rant forthcoming.

Neighbour recently extended their home. Neighbour takes down boundary fence. Building rubble is dumped on our property. I speak to the neighbour who tells me they didn't do it the builders did so it is not her problem. We have tenants moving in, we suck it up and spend a day cleaning up their building rubble and moving the temporary fence to the boundary rather than a metre into our yard. Our yard is spotless.
The new fence goes up months after their renovation is complete(which we are responsibly paying out half share despite the removal of a perfectly fine fence that did not need replacing). Go to the IP and in our yard we have again a collection of building rubble, bricks, concrete, bluestone blocks and the temporary fencing all in our yard. The neighbours yard is spotless. I go and see the neighbour and ask them to remove all the building rubble and the temporary fencing and place it in their yard as it is their stuff. To which the neighbour says well I didn't do it the builders and fence guys did. This is a couple in their fifties. They have no consideration for the tenant and her small children either. I am surprised the tenant hasn't complained or withheld rent.

A different IP. A while back we spent time clearing vegetation for a new fence. In the process we discover it was actually their creeper, planted on their side that had taken over the fence and our shed. We suck it up and get the job done. There is a section of fence not replaced because they didn't want to cut the trees. No problem. A few months back we go to the house to attend a maintenance issue to find they have decided to cut and prune trees both on joint boundary and some of ours hanging over theirs and kindly dump ALL the cut vegetation into our front yard!

So I am bewildered at the rude behaviour of older people and their attitude towards tenanted properties. Oh it doesn't matter if we dump our waste there its only a rental. The owners won't care. Or they are young and they are fit enough to remove it if they don't like it. Or perhaps its more than that - they can afford an investment property so they can afford to clean this up. There are often threads bagging the lack of responsibility and attitudes of younger generations - I think there are some in each category.

Yes I will go and have a cup of concrete now, refocus on the big picture and end goal, and then jump on re.com to look for the next opportunity :). Thanks for listening

The EXACT same thing happened to my investment property. Next door started building a unit and decided to remove the side fence and dump building material on my property, and use my property as access for his property.

I called up the owner builder and told him he has 24 hours to remove his belongings from my property and put up temporary fencing other wise he will be "sorry" and left it at that.

Everything was removed next day. Occasionally building material would be placed in my back yard and it was material I needed so I helped my self. Poor guy had to buy a lot of things twice but who in their right mind does not secure a building site?

Regarding the fence, I think he tricked you as you are not liable to pay. If you read the building permit the builder must replace fencing at their cost and cannot ask neighbouring property for half.

Neighbour issued us with two quotes for a new fence not sent by registered mail either so we could have ignored. I realise that we could have taken the we are not required to pay route but we wanted to have a say in what they intended to put up. Yes legally they have to replace with what was there but once a fence is up good luck fighting that one. Anyways the fence guys have done an unsatisfactory job and the business owner failed to meet us there to resolve. There is a bow in one section which wouldn't happen if they used a stringline. And a different section the neighbours aren't happy with either.

In relation to the items left in our yard. If they are still there next weekend we will just remove. That is easier than trying to get the fence guys to pull the fence down and rebuild it in a straight line.

I had a near altercation with the neighbors builder about 20 years ago. Rain caused runoff to deposit a torrent of muddy water into our swimming pool the morning of a childrens party .

Rather than coming in an apologizing he came in and tried to down play it saying that every time it rains his compost heap gets washed into his pool ( he's a f...ing moron isn't he .. I didn't say it but that's what I thought ) and some implied threats

Luckily , just as I was about to start responding with all of the people I knew out at Mt Druitt who would be happy to do me a favour , my wife came out and I took a big breath and didn't .

My experience is that Builders, as a group , have absolutely no consideration to the neighbors when they're on the work site . If we are asked for access we say no .

In the situation where the owners denied responsibility and said it was the builders responsibility , I would have politely reminded them " they're working for you , I'm a very reasonable person , BUT it's completely inappropriate for YOUR building material , rubble to be on OUR side. If that's not gone by the end of today , I'll ring up the council and inform them of what has happened "

Don't rant and rave , Just stand your ground.

Cliff

Doesn't just happen with Ip's

I have a neighbour who dumps all the leaves and twigs that falls on his property
from my over hanging trees , problem is the trees are on waterfront land and in the
protection zone so cannot be removed , The pile is growing as he dumps them in the
same spot ,must be a metre high now , does not bother me.
Its probably annoying him more because he has to look at the pile every time
he looks out his window. Taken about 2 years to get to this point.

Hi Seachange

I did point out to the neighbour that she employed the builder and therefore was responsible.
I really wanted to barrow all the stuff and dump it on their front lawn. Unfortuately 40kg bluestone blocks are not that easy to move. Or old concrete double laundry troughs as we had the pleasure of removing for them last time.

Hi Seachange

I did point out to the neighbour that she employed the builder and therefore was responsible.
I really wanted to barrow all the stuff and dump it on their front lawn. Unfortuately 40kg bluestone blocks are not that easy to move. Or old concrete double laundry troughs as we had the pleasure of removing for them last time.

Those things are worth money. You should have sold them!

The problem, which I have learnt from my previous neighbours, is that you give them an inch and they take a mile. You just need to give a polite but firm "no" to requests from the outset.

Maybe rent your IP to a corporate tenant such as ATSIC or Dept of Correctional Services. Share the love. I'm looking to do that as a little thank you to my previous neighbours.

So what's the legal stance on this - just toss the stuff (where possible) back over to their side of the boundary?

Split the rubble 50/50 on the basis the fence is jointly owned and turf their half back over.

Branches cut from your tree overhanging their yard-they are all yours so suck it up.

Back