Neighbour doesn't want pine fencing. Options?

Hey guys,

Tried searching for this, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
The situation is, we currently have chain link fence all around our property (stupid QLD) and we want to change it to a 6ft pine fence for security/privacy. All but one of our neighbours have agreed on the fencing materials and to pay half. The troublesome neighbour has agreed to pay half but doesn't want timber, or any other material that will block their "view" (which is of our backyard and house). They believe that the pine fence looks "hideous" and that the chain link looks "great". I will be doing all of the labour and also told them that they could have the "good" side of the fence, which ever side they decided it was. And was met with "that's a given, cause our house is ugly enough as it is. But we still don't want a fence that will block our view". They then asked that I move the gates that I had just built (6ft pine) in MY property to separate the back and front yard. You could imagine my response. The reason we want 6ft pine is to stop the dogs from barking at people walking past, gardening, or what ever. We had a complaint from another neighbour and also this neighbour about the barking and we're trying to rectify it but can't if we keep the fence chain link.
My question is, how do we get them to agree? If we can't, can I just get them to pay half for replacement of the rusted chain link and I cover the rest of the cost of the pine fence 'upgrade'. Need some help before I lose my cool.

Cheers,

Roundhogg

ps sorry for the long post.

I've dealt with similar, in Vic.

Usually you can ask neighbours to pay half of the replacement costs for the same type of fence.

I'd suggest quoting for replacement of the chain fence, ask your neighbour for half of that and pay the extra to upgrade.

Not sure about QLD but there is a Notice to Fence you get issue to neighbouring properties here - although it's more a scare tactic unless you want to go to court..

In Qld you can only enforce a fence in keeping with the area. Shaky ground as there are lots of chain link fences still around.

One option is to build a fence of your choice inside your property line so that the entire fence is on your land (survey to be sure). Your fence, your cost. With unhappy neighbours make sure you strictly observe height restrictions.
Marg

To be honest I don't believe you can force any of your neighbours to contribute if there is already a fence there and they aren't interested in upgrading.

It sounds like two neighbours have mutually agreed to the change and are happy to contribute financially, the other is against it.

However the other two neighbours would be well within their rights to say, they are happy for you to replace the fence but don't wish to contribute.

As has been said, if there is a fence already, and you want a different style, your neighbours have no obligation to pay for anything at all.

If you want a different sort of fence, you perhaps are better to leave the existing one where it is and build your new fence just inside it.

Better still would be to tell them you will replace the chain wire with timber at your own expense.

Thanks for the replies guys. The current fence is quite rusted, but probably has 2 years or so left in it before it needs major repairs/replacing. As it is, the dogs are 'picking the eyes out of it' and escaping quite regularly. I just want to get the job done while we're living in the house, cause I don't want to have to pay someone to do it if we're not here in 2yrs.....
Tbh, I'd be happy to pay for the whole thing. But the problem we have is they don't want their "view" of MY house and yard ruined. I'd rather not sour the relationship with these *** bags any further, but if they force my hand into putting a fence on my side then that's what I'll do (if I'm allowed?). They can't come complaining to me that the dogs are barking at them through the see through fence if they don't want a fence that will block them out....
Having come from a nsw country town where high boundary fences (colourbond) is the norm, I find it somewhat perplexing that someone would enjoy looking into my house/yard. Who asks someone to move a 3 meter gate (that took me 2 days to dig, weld, construct etc) concreted 1000mm deep so it doesn't block their veiw? It's in my yard for F's sale.
Once again, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Roundhogg

Not sure if this is an option worth pursuing.
- Get the chain linked fence replaced. And grow a lovely hedge on your side of the fence so that you have some privacy. Simple and effective.

I've found that fences don't stop dogs barking in the majority of cases. They just seem to know you're there & keep on a yapping.

I like a thick hedge as your best bet ;)

Thanks geoffw, that link led me to these solutions.....
1) issue a notice to fence, if they agree, all good
2) if they don't agree, mediation, then off to Qcat and let them decide for us.
3) build a fence on my side, which would leave them with what they call the 'bad side' to look at.
4) plant clumping bamboo up that fence line and let the fence rust to the ground (not the best option with dogs)
At the end of the day I'm going to end up with a solution that blocks them out from my yard, so I can't see them being too happy with any of them.
Ah well, hopefully this gets sorted soon (and somewhat peacefully).

Thanks guys,

Roundhogg

Back