Neighbour filed 3 police reports in 6 days for the tenant

Hi SS gurus,
I purchased a IP No.2 in Ipswich. I live in Sydney. There was some work to do in the house. So I went there for 1 week, and all the work has been done and the property is rented now.

My problem starts when I was there. Both neighbours to my right and left approached me to say hello and congratulations and ask about my future intensions for the property. Both asked for my contact details. One of the neighbours looked the reason why the house was sold.

Anyway. Yesterday, I got a call from the neighbour I was worried from saying that she is at the police stations filing a report against the new tenant. And she will hold me responsible for many things I can hardly remember and she asked for my property manager details. I was quite and I told her that I cannot provide her with any information, and I will speak to the Property manager.

Speaking to my property manager. It was not a surprise as she already spoke to her. And what I noticed from the property manager is that this is the 3rd time she contacted the police since it was rented. The house was rented last week, so almost once every 2 days. First time was noise from the removalist helping the tenant to move. The 2nd time was not allowing the tenant to have a dog in his backyard (she already have 2 dogs).

Regarding the tenant. he is a young man living with his mother. He has been renting through the same PM for the last 3 years without a single issue with neighbours or with rent. The house he was renting was advertised for sale. That?s why they moved to my house.

I agreed with the property manager that she will be the primary contact and I when the neighbour will call me, I will forward her to the property manager.

I would like to get your experiences and feedback for such situations. My worry is this kind of neighbour may be the reason tenants will leave the house. And at this time, I will be in trouble and I may have to sell the house. I am sure it will be a great loss if it is sold in the first year.

Please advise.

Thanks
Ram

Tell the PM to ignore all calls from the neighbour.
If you call the police because someone is moving, then you probably deserve to be ignored.

If it were me, i wouldnt worry about it. PM and Police can deal with it. Im sure Police would have a way of handling nuisance calls - because dogs are council issues and they wont respond well to repeated noise complaints. Guess the long term prob is the neighbor harrassing your tenants.

Last edited:
I think you now know why the previous owners sold.
I would love a neighbour like yours , Im the type of person who would love
having fun getting back at them.

Ignore it.
Her complaints are a reflection of other un handled life problems.
I would not give this any energy at all.

Refer her back to police and let them handle it.

I would say "sorry there is nothing I can do" and hang up.

2 calls a day to pm is harassment!

Tell the PM to ignore all calls from the neighbour.
If you call the police because someone is moving, then you probably deserve to be ignored.

Instruct the PM to log all complaints from the neighbour and keep you informed as there may come a time wherein you will need to act on a complaint.

I would also write to the neighbour informing her that you no longer wish contact from her and to contact your PM directly with regards to the property.

If she is contacting the police over trivial matters, they will soon set her straight.

Instruct the PM to log all complaints from the neighbour and keep you informed as there may come a time wherein you will need to act on a complaint.

I would also write to the neighbour informing her that you no longer wish contact from her and to contact your PM directly with regards to the property.

If she is contacting the police over trivial matters, they will soon set her straight.

This. And keep your own log too if she continues to contact you.

I wouldn't be ignoring it. I would be moving pretty swiftly to curb this sort of behaviour from the offending neighbour.

Who do you think she will hassle if she can't get to you? Your poor tenant.

So I would be trying my best to be shielding my tenant, and looking like I was shielding my tenant too, in case he decides to leave.

the police most likely have put the neighbour on the 'Pain in the butt' list and would be doing the absolute minimal everytime there is a complaint,

alternatively you could ask the local police to give the neighbour a call and tell them to stop wasting their time and that filing false/nuisance calls is either illegal or opening up to civil matters

too much noise from the removalistis!?!?!?! you got to be kidding

I have a property with the same problem. I originally lived there so I know how she is. Unfortunately she is not going anywhere and causes grief to all of my tenants. I agree to keep a log as one day a new policeman or PM could think it is a serious issue when it probably isn't.

Good luck.

Thanks Guys for all your responses. I have included a log, and sent to the PM to keep a inform me about any future complaints.

Looks like the tenant as well is going to respond back. Hopefully they can sort it peacfully between each other.

Thanks
Ram

I have had a similar situation and we advised the Tenant to seek a restraining order against the neighbour.

Your PM needs to ensure that your Tenant knows that they have you and your PMs support and that your PM will make a note when the neighbour calls etc and that your PM will tell the neighbour that such behaviour is not appropriate and your tenant is not doing anything wrong.

Back