Neighbour has built new wall near fence

Our neighbours are updating their backyard and a new wall has been put in, from what can be seen their side looks great with stone features inlaid, the landscapers have also laid huge concrete planter boxes along the rear fence, looks great and they've spent a lot doing a great job, the work caused some issues with our washing etc whilst they were doing the work...not to fussed over that, but notice would have been nice, similarly when they high pressure cleaned and water/cr*p etc came through the fence onto everything on our side

Can anything be done re the wall as the photo is the view we have of it, or is it a grin and bear it situation?

Angle is due to neighbour being up higher than us

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 231
It probably does need approval.

Would you be happy with it there if it looked better? slap some render or paint on it maybe at the owners expense?

An amicable solution with your neighbour will save a lot tension between you and them if council ask them to remove it.

Generally I'd be happy if my side looked good and would ignore that it's a little taller than the fence.

When I build on the boundary I have to have face brick facing my neighbour so that it doesn't need render etc and is attractive.

I'd just ask nicely for them to make it attractive on your side (render etc) which may mean they need access to your side to do it.

A wall must have foundations and reinforcing at regular intervals. It could blow over / fall over or subside - even with wind. The higher it is the more essential it have a DA approval. The foundations would require inspection / certifying. It is hollow, solid, reo bars, ties, rendered, exposed face bricks, part of another structure later etc...

The normal process is to notify neighbours if it exceeds certain limits. It is visible but that's not in itself grounds to seek neighbour consent / opposition. The proximity as a fixed structure and it's engineering more a concern.

Search your council DA approvals. If not ask Council. They had their chance to do it legally. It may need to be demo'd / rebuilt. Typical of landscapers do this. Its visual appearance less an issue and integrity a bigger issue. Imagine if its part of a illegal pergola that later collapses onto your side killing someone.

that looks *****house!

depends how well you get along with your neighbours how you proceed? but they should do something to rectify it for you. a 6 pack definitely wont cover that!

Heck Paul you"re a brickie as well as an accountant , what a combination lol,

I'd build a higher, longer wall on your side. See how they like it lol.

Attach a lattice fence topper on your side, making sure it goes past the brick wall on each side - even another 2m and stop it in the middle. Perhaps a nice shade of mission brown or bottle green. :D

Back