Neighbour has put split system units on my side of boundary (on his wall)

My neighbour emailed me this pic of two split system compressor units overhanging my side lane-way. It belongs to the neighbour on the other side who owns the factory. You can see he's attached them to the side of his brick building but they're on my side of the boundary.

Is this legal? Can I request he reinstall them onto the roof of his factory?
I think they look ugly, block sunlight, could be noisy for the tenants and possibly leak water.

I'd prefer they relocate these units onto the roof of the factory so they're not hindering my lane-way alongside the house. I'll call Moreland council on Monday but thought I'd put it here in case someone knows the law about this.

RtjGKb5.jpg

If you own the air space then you have to write to the neighbour advising of the infringement and a time that the air conditioning unit needs to be removed by.

Is the boundary line the wall of the building? Just checking.

This would impact you when want to paint house
Work on or clean gutters
Work on roof

And the noise problem

Is this an IP?

Is it possible to make money from this situation? Lease that space to them for$100pw? Condition is that end of lease the units are removed?

There is a requirement not to install within 3 m of the boundary. Hmm, 3mm? :confused:

This is to reduce the noise from the units as they are not screened off.

Other things to consider are servicing - how do they access the units?

What if the unit suffers a fusion fire?

Have council inspect and get the owner of the building relocate them onto the roof away from the boundary.

Could be worse, they might have been installed on your roof instead! I had a plumber install one of my external units on my neighbors roof once, true story. I don't use this plumber anymore!

Is there such a thing these days as communication??? I scratch my head at issues such as these,it should not happen in the 1st place.

If you own the air space then you have to write to the neighbour advising of the infringement and a time that the air conditioning unit needs to be removed by.

This sounds legit, I'll ask the Council if it's true.

How did they get them there?

I assume the installer put them up. It's an IP so they must've entered the lane-way through the gate to install them. I'll check with the tenant if they asked permission to enter the property.

Is the boundary line the wall of the building? Just checking.

This would impact you when want to paint house
Work on or clean gutters
Work on roof

And the noise problem

Yes the brick wall is the boundary and you're right it will impact me if I need to paint, access roof or clean gutters etc.

Is this an IP?

Is it possible to make money from this situation? Lease that space to them for $100pw? Condition is that end of lease the units are removed?

Yes it's an IP and thanks for your idea to lease them the space!
Maybe I can give them two options in writing:
1/ Remove them from the wall and reposition them onto the roof including the water drainage conduit within 30 days, or
2/ Don't remove them and sign a lease to keep them in situ for $100 per month.

There is a requirement not to install within 3 m of the boundary. Hmm, 3mm? :confused:

This is to reduce the noise from the units as they are not screened off.

Other things to consider are servicing - how do they access the units?

What if the unit suffers a fusion fire?

Have council inspect and get the owner of the building relocate them onto the roof away from the boundary.

Yes good point about how they can be serviced without trespassing on my property. I'll ask Council about it.

Following on from CHAOSs great suggestion,tap into the air cond and get some free air cond?
Next door has a hide for doing this,erect a 8 foot fence between brick and house,barb up top,preferably electrified and padlock the gate.

Sure, without being indignant or petty, make the neighbour aware that he is using your airspace.

Best not to make a big fuss over something so small. Who knows, you may someday need to buy-out your neighbour and it helps to get him on-side.

Sort it out over golf and beers, I say. I daresay he owes you a few drinks for this infraction.

Back