Neighbour is Stealing Water

Ever since we purchased our house a couple of years ago, I've suspected that our neighbour was using our tap to water his gardens. The water bills always seemed a lot higher than what we had used. So much so, I've purchased a lockable tap, but haven't installed it yet.

Last night I think I finally caught him. We came home late at about 9:30pm and had to take the bin out. When I walked out, I heard some noises in the bushes near the tap. I go back inside and decide its time to fix a sensor light outside near the tap, that i've been meaning to do for a while. While out there i hear some more noises from the bushes, so i get a torch and go to the tap. As I thought, the tap was slightly dripping and the ground directly below it was wet - I hadn't used that particlur tap since the previous day, and it was a hot day in Adelaide yesterday. The only conclusion i could come up with was that someone was using it recently (a couple of minutes). This tap doesn't leak and it was dry this morning.

I'm now starting to read the water meter when i'm not home, and am going to install the lockable tap - although he can easily buy the key at any hardware store.

Has anyone ever been in such a situation before? and if so, what did you do? Do I call the council and/or SA Water to complain?

The cheekiness of people never ceases to amaze me. Yeah, I think I would move the tap. Saves the angst of having to catch him, challenge him and report him etc. You do have to live with him next door.

Why don't you just knock on his door and let him know that someone has been stealing water and would he keep an eye out for you. Explain you are going to be extra vigilant yourself and have called the police.

I imagine that would shame him out of doing it. Would also be beter than accusing him if you are indeed wrong.

It is a shame you are not just good mates with your neighbour - society seems to be worse off since we stopped being as friendly with our neighbours.

Moving the tap would probably be the best option I think.

The tenants we had there complained about him a few times - he seems to be a bit of an idiot, so I dont think talking to him would do much. I've seen him a few times and have said hello as I do with the other neighbours. but unlike the others, he simply walks away and doesn't ever seem to want to talk.

If in fact he was in the bushes last night, I think it would be fairly clear to him that i caught him out.

What a bloody wierdo! I'd knock on his door and confront him (neighborly at first of course), But thats me. I dislike living with unresolved issues, especially ones like this.

If in fact he was in the bushes last night, I think it would be fairly clear to him that i caught him out.

Have some fun.

Change the fitting so it sprays him in the face when he turns it on.

Put some dye on the tap so his hands are stained when he turns the tap on.

Place some doggy poo near the tap so he stands in it when turning the on the tap

Dude, if he is stealing your water why don't you go and have a chat to him about it? Why all this funny stuff? Its getting as weird as him stealing your water.

I agree, just knock on his door and ask him what's going on.

Phil

Since the hose reaches to his property, knock on the door and drench him with the hose! :D

Or take the hose over to his yard and start watering his lawn. When he comes out to question you, just say "thought I'd save you the bother of dragging my hose all the way over here." :D

On the bright side, he was obeying the water timing restrictions - even if it was with your water!! :p

Agreed, it's pretty bad, and shouldn't be happening.

If it was me, I'd confront the bloke straight up and warn him that I'm onto his charade. Most people don't like being yelled at by 6' 6" bikers.

....but then, what is SA Water authority charging for water these days ?? Probably in the region of $ 1.20 for a kilolitre. He's probably stolen a hundred buck if he's been doing it a while. I know, I know, it's the principle of the matter right.

There was some water nazi in the paper a few days ago (he was about 36) who got upset with an elderly gentlemen (in his 60's I think) who was simply watering his front lawn. The young guy approached him and gave him a mouthful of abuse about wasting water. The elderly chap told the guy to p*ss off and sprayed him with the hose.

Naturally both chaps didn't want to back down, so it escalated to a new level. Young guy tackles the old guy and a fight ensues on the old guys front lawn. Things get way out of hand, old guy has a heartache, and despite neighbours trying to do CPR, he dies on his front lawn. Young guy now on murder charge I believe. Two complete families destroyed in one foul swoop. All over 10c worth of water.

Or take the hose over to his yard and start watering his lawn. When he comes out to question you, just say "thought I'd save you the bother of dragging my hose all the way over here." :D

:D While you're there also make a time convienent to him to mow his lawn.

There was some water nazi in the paper a few days ago (he was about 36) who got upset with an elderly gentlemen (in his 60's I think) who was simply watering his front lawn. The young guy approached him and gave him a mouthful of abuse about wasting water. The elderly chap told the guy to p*ss off and sprayed him with the hose.

Naturally both chaps didn't want to back down, so it escalated to a new level. Young guy tackles the old guy and a fight ensues on the old guys front lawn. Things get way out of hand, old guy has a heartache, and despite neighbours trying to do CPR, he dies on his front lawn. Young guy now on murder charge I believe. Two complete families destroyed in one foul swoop. All over 10c worth of water.

Yep, which is exactly why I dont suggest he has a chat with the neighbour. I guess for the younger guy, until he went troppo, the issue for him was an apparent flagrant disregard for water restrictions, and not how much it cost.

I guess for the younger guy, until he went troppo, the issue for him was an apparent flagrant disregard for water restrictions, and not how much it cost.

Apparent disregard is well put. I read that the older guy was actually complying with the water regulations in his area when he was watering his lawn.

i hate confrontation, so i'd go the lock avenue - then he would know that you know - without having to confront him.

if you confront him the first thing he's going to do is deny any knowledge. then you would know he's a liar and he would know that you know he's a liar, which would get his back up even further ... so the situation would only get worse. at the end of the day, you've got to live next to this guy.

with the lock, you are letting him know to back off without any accusations or counter accusations and defensiveness

Set up a video camera, and after capturing the evidence, present it to him via post and with the blackmail letter attached.

Just kidding.

But seriously, I saw a story on tv here a few months ago where a guy was being bullied by his neighbor every time he opened his apartment door, so he did the hidden camera thing above his door, then took it to the police. The guy was charged and jailed for assault.

I'm sure the same action here would achieve a nice result.

Or, go over there with a baseball and bat and.........

Back