Neighbour issue , what do you think of this ?

We've just bought a lifestyle place ,a house on 1 ac , ther'e a 500 ac property running beside it .
True to form , that farmer , only one of 6 other farms he owns I'm told , has the driveway into his property , along my 1 ac side fence. I mean , he owns 1 1/2 kl of roadside , yet this is where he has his driveway , along my 1ac's side fence.
No one lives there but they come and go , usually at 5 or 6pm on a Sunday , Sat' arvo , trucks, tractors quad bikes, again true to form .
This was the only drawback when we were looking at it and that side is mostly treed out and on the opposite edge to the house area anyway , with the shed also in between. Also in the 5 or 6 mths in coming over while we were getting the finance sorted , never once saw anybody use that driveway anyway.
So we figured they must only come over now and then to check the place and it should be right.
They've been cutting across the edge of my nature strip with trucks over the yrs and I could see that so I've started planting that corner out and putting in a rockery to stop it.
It's a beautiful little spot , one of the nicest areas of the property.
Low and behold we're sitting out front last night and he pulls up , waltzes in and proceeds to tell me that I couldn't plant out the outer edge of my nature strip , because he's trucks would run over it getting in and out. He then goes on to try telling us that he use to help out the old lady that lived here before and that I'll "have to" get my big trees taken care of before they fall down - this is all without even introducing himself mind you.
Well thanks very much mate - whoever the hell you are but I'll take care of my own trees thanks very much and if I need advice I'll get it from a landscaper not a bloody farmer .
I mean here's a guy that owns probably 20 million worth of farms and he's waltzed into our little old one ac place , totally unintroduced telling us what we have to do and that our outer strip of our little 1ac is in the way of his 500 ac , so I'll have to right that corner off , cause it's in he's way - wtf :eek:

Needless to say we didn't take kindly to some moron waltzing in totally unannounced and telling us what we can and can't do .
Anyway I said the garden bed and new trees stay mate and if your trucks run over it they'll have to repair it , it's within my boundaries , you've got 500 bloody acs, 1 1/2 ks of road side and what you strut in here like this and start telling us we have to do this or that with our own property and that you also need the outer edge of my little 1ac because it's in your way too ?

Needless to say that was pretty well the end of his visit and he leaves mumbling to himself, I can see your gonna be a hard bloke to get along with .
Hmm , why would that be exactly , because he can't just strut in, start telling us what to do and get his own way !!!!!

So what are my rights with the end of my nature strip anyway , does anyone know ?
I mean we don't want any bs , we just keep to ourselves neighbour wise , live and let live but that was bs !

Cheers

Is it really a nature strip? I thought most "nature strips" are council owned - where does your boundary end on your title?

The Y-man

Talk farmer talk to him that he will understand:
" 'ere geroff my land"
Ensure compliance with birdshot. It's the only way.

Hard to tell, as you've described him thru your eyes only.

He sounds like a typical farmer.

His land, his way.

He's been there longer than you.

He has probably 6x500 acres, you have 1.

...in his mind, you are a newly arrived small bug.

He's treating you like he sees you.

I can see your gonna be a hard bloke to get along with

Hmmm...small bug needs squashing.

Random, you've already done the typical Aussie thing and tried to think you are equal. You're not. He trumps you in almost every way to do with property...the topic of conversation.

Give him his due respect that he will demand from you, given his superior position, and I predict life will become much calmer for you long term.

What is it with Aussies thinking they are all equal ?? The root cause of most flare ups.

I gotta say, I know country people, I have never met a farmer that would not go out of his way to help anyone.

If it's your land, then he should respect it, but you need to go about it the right way.

Your side of the story does suggest otherwise though. Was there any other dealings with them? Did you wave when you saw them first? or did you wait until he came to see you? If it was indeed your first sighting, then he was obviously rude, but he would have been upset that you have stopped him using his land (yes, he was also using yours..but trucks aren't easy to manouver - you potentitally are costing him thousands to relocate his gate, and you didn't talk it over with him. It's obvious from our post that you are planting etc to stop him...he probably realises and finds it rude)

I even get waves driving up to camping spots because farmers are just friendly, and they appreciate when you don't go flying by at 100kms covering their house in dust, and wrecking the road which doesnt get repaired often.
At the end of the day, you won't win if you go down this path. They will know the whole community, you will seen be well known around town as the idiot that just moved in.

My advice? I would either invite him over for morning tea, or go visit him with a few beers, apologise for the bad start and see if you can work something out. If he has that much fence line, he might be willing to move his gate if you talk about it sensibly. Maybe even suggest he could put a bigger gate on at the same time making it easier to get the trucks in. Keep in mind you may be up for a fair share of money unless he does his own fencing - in which case offer to help.

Bikes, truck etc - you are in the country, you will just have to get used to it, that is why people buy big land, to have either quiet or space to do things. The quiet you will get, but only at certain times when neighbours are not doing their way of relaxing.

I know you haven't done it - but if anyone told me to stop riding my bike at my parents (18 acres) where I've been riding for 25 years, after they moved in 2 weeks ago, i would not give them a warm welcome either.

Give him his due respect that he will demand from you, given his superior position, and I predict life will become much calmer for you long term.

Dazz, fair dinkum if you (or anyone else) tried that on me, I'd tell you where you can stick it (although I wouldn't be so polite about it). The bloke has done what any man with a spine and self respect would do - stood up for himself and what is his, how much land this backwoods banjo playing inbred redneck yokel owns is irrelevant. The joker is obviously used to lording it over the granny that used to live there and thinks he can carry it on. Good work standing up for yourself like a real man random.

Whoops, that wasn't very respectful, was it.

Dazz, I don't give a rats about equality. Someone comes onto my land, they best respect that I am El Presidente and they better respect me and my property. What they do on their plot is their business and I will afford them the same respect when I visit them.

What I call being in a superior position.

farmer.jpg

Dazz, fair dinkum if you (or anyone else) tried that on me, I'd tell you where you can stick it (although I wouldn't be so polite about it). The bloke has done what any man with a spine and self respect would do - stood up for himself and what is his, how much land this backwoods banjo playing inbred redneck yokel owns is irrelevant. The joker is obviously used to lording it over the granny that used to live there and thinks he can carry it on. Good work standing up for yourself like a real man random.

Whoops, that wasn't very respectful, was it.

Yep your spot on mr fab's . Apparently this old a/h has been pushing the whole area around for years .
And Dazz , exactly what I'd expect mate , bs . It makes no difference who owns how much , you respect other peoples property - it's not difficult and all the more reason why he doesn't need the corner of my 1 ac.
I didn't go about thing the wrong way bursting onto his private domain literally telling him how to run his property , rude , you have that one way axxx about .
He auto try a bit of this so called country f'n way firsts if he expects it in return .
And no mate , it wasn't my eyes only my wife was there and she's about the most placid person you'll ever meet yet her first response was who the f'k does this old prxck think he is , he's not coming onto our place telling us what to do.
I realize there can normally be some very nice people amongst farmers as I grew up hanging around our weekend properties and met many over that way - central Vic , some a pleasure to know . But unfortunately over this way they do tend to act like spoilt brats and everyone who's anyone and not a farmer including councils has had no end of trouble with most of them around here .
The council guy actually said to me , it's so frustrating because they have zero respect for other people , their properties , the roadsides , creek beds and on it goes .
He's trying to get new laws through so that they have more law on their side to deal with them .
He reckons at the moment they can pretty well do and destroy whatever they damn well please and he can't touch them, or help out ordinary people, properties, areas and roadsides , having trouble with them

Last edited:
Dazz, I don't give a rats about equality. Someone comes onto my land, they best respect that I am El Presidente and they better respect me and my property. What they do on their plot is their business and I will afford them the same respect when I visit them.

Exactly the way I see it . I also leave people alone and give respect when it's given to me and I usually give that the chance to happen first.
Lucky for me locally , I think , we've heard so many people complaining about this guy , even the council . Apparently also his actual family situations the local joke too because all the kids sponge off him and all hi's properties and he treats them all like shxt pushing them around.
And as far as respect fro wht a person owns , well that goes both ways . I never walk over anyone, ever , unles they try it on me.
But as far as owning lots of land goes , 2/3 of the farmers round here got their land for nothing anyway 50 years back through gov't dairy schemes and the sneakier they were the more land and money they scored through the scheme .
Most of them wouldn't know what a mortgage looked like I've talked to dozens of them and they have zero comprehension , zero , of what normal people go through now to buy property and pay it off as well as do it up and fund reno's

They're on my nature strip outside our property which the council tells me I can plant out anyway I please up to my boundary in line with my nature strip just encase anyone happens to give a toss , but it's up to me to maintain our nature strip .
And considering there's 2 k of 4ft high grass and weeds after my nature strip , why would anyone normally give a toss anyway bhut even with all that this guy reckons he needs my part to run he's trucks in and out ?
He doesn't even need to put in a new driveway all he has to do is throw down another mtr of pipe and truck load of gravel on his side with 2 k to spare and he'd have my corner back and then some.Considering he's a multi millionaire I doubt that'll break the bank and it's not my problem anyway

The fact remains that you don't own the nature strip.
You knew that this guy has been cutting the corner for goodness knows how long - did you really expect him to like the fact that you are obstructing him?
You may have right on your side, but neighbourhood feuds are unpleasant for everyone.
Marg

Someone comes onto my land, they best respect that I am El Presidente and they better respect me and my property.

...or what ??

Pffftt.....respect.....the neighbour obviously has zero for random.

Respect has to be earnt.

Elephants aren't forced to respect ants. Ants are forced to respect elephants.

Random,

The following is a quote from "Neighbors" thread 12-09-2011 by yourself.

"These days I try not to get too involved with My neighbors, not even into a hello, nod or a wave if I can help it".

Well your getting involved!!

I belive that the counsel would hold the Crown Land lease.

On the road licence that I have a lease on, the following are the conditions.

Licence coditions

3.8.1Without the Licensor's prior written approval, which can be given or withheld at the absolute discretion of the Licencor or be given subject to conditions:-

3.8.1.3 plant any vegitation,seed or crop on the licenced land

3.9 Erection of improvements

Erect or permit the erection of any improvement on the licenced land without the Licensor's prior written approval, which can be given or withheld at the absolute discretion of the Licensor or be given subject to conditions.

I agree with Random on this one ... however ... if you've said your logical piece, and your neighbour has walked off with a "mutter mutter" knowing he was in the wrong, you may find that nothing else need happen.

I'd let it lie - just don't expect to be friends down the pub.

the fact remains that you don't own the nature strip.
You knew that this guy has been cutting the corner for goodness knows how long - did you really expect him to like the fact that you are obstructing him?
You may have right on your side, but neighbourhood feuds are unpleasant for everyone.
Marg

+1

-------------------

Back