Neil Jenman

Andrea Sutton??

Does anyone know much about Andrea Sutton who was sort of featured on todaytonight last week? The story started out about her and her 35 properties {cashflow positive} and ended up being shanghied by Neil Bloody Jenman. There may have been something to learn.

I saw that report,

didn't understand what in hell it was about...

As you say, it started out interesting, and I would have liked to have known more about how she did it, and her in general.

But yep, there was flaming idiot Jenman, yet again, spouting bullshyt.

I think this story deserves the "Worst editing EVER" award...

I really have no idea what it's point was.

However, a transcript can be found here .

I'm not sure if this was another attempt at media-fear-mongering trying to 'burst-the-psychological-bubble"

Who knows?

Aparrently not channel 7.

asy :D

Jenman is a sensationalist.

Current affairs programs gain ignorant eyeballs from sensational stories.

The two are made for each other.

Sensationalists rarely speak logically or objectively, even if some of what they say is quite valid.

LOL...........

Sack the editor of that story, what a mess!!

The topics quite simply don't link together.

It starts out as a positive story explaining how people can better themselves and ends up as a rave at unscrupulous shysters.

If they had continued the first topic to its logical conclusion and explained about due diligence, Mr Jenman could then have confirmed the need for dd.

Too easy.

Macca :)

Hi,

Why the uninamous critcism of Neil Jenman ?

He is an intelligent, erudite and honest man trying to save people from being ripped off, which is no bad thing.

Just because he has the bravery to have a differing view of real estate than everyone else, he is bellittled and criticised endlessly.

He is an innovator and innovators ALWAYS succeed, as he is now.

I have spoken to him a few times on the phone and he is neither
a "sensationalist" or "a flaming idiot".

To paraphrase the TDT story:

"Author and renegade real estate agent, Neil Jenman, is one of the most feared men in the industry"

I can read a lot of fear in this thread.

Originally posted by brains
Neil Jenman is an innovator and innovators ALWAYS succeed, as he is now.

Ummm Next Computer? Wang? Sinclair? Sausage Software? Cray Computers? Sarich Orbital? DEC? All innovators, no survivors. Successful only depending on your metrics.

Originally posted by bundy1964
"Ms Sutton's passion for real estate is shared by her daughter Elira, 12, who is already a landlord of three properties."

Who would give a 12 year old a loan to buy a property?

:confused:

Umm My eight-year-old daughter owns shares with money I loaned her. Technically, her trust owns them.

When she decides to own an IP I'll guarantee the loan. When someone owns 35 Properties the rest of the family notices. Dinner table conversations become very educational.

Musicians' children often become musicians because it is a family value.

Dynastic wealth comes from the same place -- if combined with a few enterprising robber-baron ancestors ;)

Regards

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner

"Ummm Next Computer? Wang? Sinclair? Sausage Software? Cray Computers? Sarich Orbital? DEC? All innovators, no survivors. Successful only depending on your metrics."

Are they just failed businesses or failed innovators? You could type a list all day of failed businesses, especially ones as successfull as your list above.

Innovation incurs risk, but great reward.

Generally, followers rarely succeed to the same level as innovators (but have less risk) and people who criticise innovators rarely succeed as well.

Generally, followers rarely succeed to the same level as innovators

This is not the way I see it. Innovators come up with the idea - and then the established and well financed people buy the idea - innovation by acquisition !

On the flip side... Microsoft are an example of one of the best "following" companies in the IT industry - they rarely come up with an original idea - instead they take someone elses concept, re-work it and make it work. They are the masters at this.

This is why you never buy a release 1 Microsoft product... release 3 is the one which will actually work !

Counter example of course would be Apple - but then they do have a potted history of innovation through plagiarism as well as some genuine innovation.

Innovation is all well and good - so long as it is bounded in good practice and an ability to deliver. Too many people spend so long trying to come up with the better mouse trap, when if they had simply improved the delivery and management of the existing traps they had, they would have caught many more mice in the meantime !

That was indeed a very strange story - changed halfway through from a success story to a warning....Overall it seems to me to be saying 'don't do what this person has done cause you'll get burnt'.

Tall poppy syndrome perhaps? - Or just good TV to create a controversy where there was a clear and unambiguous message.

If we're going to get Ms Sutton to a Freestylers, how about also getting Neil Jenman - it would be very interesting to hear him talk about property investment without the 'watch out for RE Agents' stuff. I'm sure he must have something else to say.....

The media has really started to pick up on him as a scaremonger - he debated the head of the VIC REI on ABC radio a few weeks back as well.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Sim, point taken, but:

Innovation by acquisition is an oxymoron the way i see it.

I was sort of referring to people or companies who operate in an old/established industry and innovate the way they do things to be successful and get a jump on their opposition who do things as they have always been done.

And nearly every company with a "first to market" product or service will benefit while competitors are catching up.

"bounded in good practice and an ability to deliver. Too many people spend so long trying to come up with the better mouse trap, when if they had simply improved the delivery and management of the existing traps they had, they would have caught many more mice in the meantime"

Companies/individuals will not succeed if they do operate the way you describe above, regardless of wether they are innovative or not.

Neil Jenman didnt invent real estate he just trying to change the way things are done and make it more transparent and honest.

Microsoft dont generally take someones idea, they buy the company to get the technology/intellectual property, and if they cant buy the company they will unscrupulously screw the company anyway they can till they have market domination, hence their court case. They are truly the evil empire.

(even tho i use their products...haha)

Originally posted by Aceyducey

The media has really started to pick up on him as a scaremonger - he debated the head of the VIC REI on ABC radio a few weeks back as well.

Oooh!!

What was it about??

Who won???

I looked for it on the ABC search engine, but couldn't find it. The closest I came was: this report But this is the president of the REI Aust, not VIC, so I don't think it's it. Can you have a look? Thanks :)

He has released a book recently and has been in the media spotlight quite a bit lately (debating everyone:), obviously promoting his book, which went straight to bestseller lists by the way.

The Real Estate Institutes of all states are like the Law Society, a watchdog of the industry policed by members of the same industry. Its like complaining to your mother in law about your wife.......what a joke..........

The QLD government is soon going to replace the law society as watchdog over lawyers (with some type of government dept.) as it has just become a joke...and the states should do the same with their respective R.E.I.s

Hi All,

I personally find Neil Jenman to be a very interesting haracter. If you have ever dealt with a Jenman real estate office you know that they take a different approach than mosts R/E's.

I really like to buy from them but would never sell through them.

regards

Davids

We've taken the opposite view - we'd be happy to sell at least our PPOR through Jenman because they are good at maximising the sales price.

However we would not buy through Jenman agents because they negotiate too well on behalf of the Seller....

Give us a run-of-the-mill starving RE Agent who wants a quick sale and will pressure the vendor to accept an OK offer any day (and we don't even have to pay them the commission).

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi Ace,

The Jenman system is constantly trying to employ sales staff that are not from the the 'industry' so as they can train them in there own style.

What I have found is that many of these sales people are left wanting in many areas of negotiation. Many that I have dealt with are only new to the business and fail to meet the challenge when asked questions relating to defects etc. The one big plus I must admit is that every one I have dealt with is extremely honest and upfront.

The Real Estate Institutes of all states are like the Law Society, a watchdog of the industry policed by members of the same industry. Its like complaining to your mother in law about your wife.......what a joke..........

Sorry Brains, I think you are a little off track with this. The Real Estate Institute(s) are not a watchdog, by any means.

They are a member body, same as any other membership society. From the REIQ Website

Formed in 1918 the Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ) is the State’s peak professional association for the real estate industry and exists to support member real estate agents with information, products and resources that complement their business practices, which in turn ensures professional service for the public.

The "Watchdog" for the Real Estate industry is the relevant state Office of Fair Trading. This is the body who licenses us, and also the correct place to voice any problems you have with an agent.
I agree that the REI in each state also takes public complaints about members, and has a mediation arm who will assist in problems between the public and the Member. But don't misunderstand their function.

hope this helps clear things up :)

davids,

Thats a fair point but you'll find the real estate industry is absolutely full of people from other proffesions/trades/whatevers.

The Jenman way of thinking is that these people are indoctrinated in the traditional (some might say dishonest) ways of the real estate industry and so on and on it goes.

The reason they like to get fresh people is to get them in the Jenman way (some might say honest) as their introduction to the real estate industry.

You have just got to admire the guy and what he has done, all against the odds, trying to change a whole industry and its (some might say dishonest) ways.

And asy, thanks for putting me straight on that one.

I'M with you ACEYDUCEY,

I would sell through a Jenman R/E but not buy off them for the same reasonsas you.

There is a R/E here on the North Coast that operates the Jenman way, and all of there properties have high prices and are on the market for a longer time than most.

I agree they really go all out for the sellers best price.

As for Jenman, Real estate Mistakes was a very good read and it surely opened my eyes about R/E's.

Originally posted by voodoo
There is a R/E here on the North Coast that operates the Jenman way, and all of there properties have high prices and are on the market for a longer time than most.

Interesting point Voodoo..

Irrespective of whether this is a Jenman or Other agent. (I am commenting on the theory)

I have attended listings where I have told the vendors what I believe to be the true market value of the property and they have wanted to list it at MANY thousands over this.

(Don't misunderstand me, I am not always right on price, no-one is)

But, I have for example told vendors that I believe their house would fetch $180k. They are adamant that it is worth $200k.

I always told them my 'catchup theory' and let them make their own mind up.

Sometimes we listed the property at their price, with them in the full knowledge of the situation, Sometimes we listed the property at the price I intimated, sometimes we listed it in between, and sometimes (but not often!!) another agent listed it.

My 'cathup theory' is, that irrespective of what you list the property at, the market will eventually catch up.

For instance, if the property is actually worth $180k, and it's listed for $200k, once the market catches up (which may be a month, it may be a year) the property will sell.

It's just that I believe the vendor's need to be made aware that a price higher than the market price can (not always but usually), precipitate a longer time in the market.

I would rather loose the listing than list it dishonestly. I have watched agents list high (buy the listing) and have seen disheartened vendors suffer through... (I know of one agent in an area I used to work in who's often list properties at 20 - 25k over their true value, on a 160 day contract... Thats SIX MONTHS... You can't call that a good thing...)

That being said, if the vendor wanted it listed high I would comply (so long as it's not ridiculous, like $400k on a house clearly worth $100k).

What are other ppl's thoughts on this?

Back