Netflix

Apparently Foxtel bought the rights to Netflix in Oz so rumour has it that they will be removing any access to shows that air on foxtel.

One if my friends loves Netflix and is totally convinced it will be rubbish here and that access direct to the US will somehow be blocked.

I know someone who has Netflix and loves it. I think she said they had to somehow join via the US, couldn't join from here. If you want me to I can ask her to explain it to me in words that me, and five year old and any other Luddite could understand and I could report back.

yes report back that would be good, not here in Aus till March, but as per my link I think US version will be way better.

Apparently Foxtel bought the rights to Netflix in Oz so rumour has it that they will be removing any access to shows that air on foxtel.

One if my friends loves Netflix and is totally convinced it will be rubbish here and that access direct to the US will somehow be blocked.

I think your friend could be right, I am going to see if I can get onto US Netflix, don't care about the hassle if its way better.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/11/what-will-the-340000-australians-already-using-netflix-do-now/

It is not illegal per se to get USA Netflix in Australia.

I use it via Un-Block.us and Netflix.com via an Apple TV box. Very easy, cheap and masses of content.

Full Australian instructions and explanation of legalities here:-

http://www.netflixaustralianow.com.au/

Costs us roughly $18 AUD per month for both Unblock-US and Netflix plus your internet connection on top and $100 for the Apple TV box.

Have to say, we love it. We don't watch much TV anyway to be honest, but the last 5 or 6 month we've pretty much watched Netflix exclusively.

We've cancelled out Fetch TV package as everything and more is on Netflix anyway and at better quality. Fetch TV give some b****t about bandwidth issues, compressing the feed a fair bit and only providing two channel sound. Our Netflix feed is insanely good, the picture quality is FAR superior to what we were getting on Fetch TV, (on both the terrestrial channels and their net feed channels) and the Netflix feed carries 5.1 digital sound.

Agree with others too, when Netflix officially launches here it will be a vastly stripped down version in terms of connected compared to USA. Just hope they don't close the USA back doors once the Aussie version is here.

We have it running through unblock-us and the Roku 3 on our 60 inch TV. Full high definition - It is an awesome service and is on demand which suits us.

It is widely believed that the Australian version will be more expensive with less content.

It's awesome. The first world problem I have is that I seem to spend more time selecting a movie then watching one.

Cheers

Jamie

I had it for about 9 months. Apart from how cheap it is for how much content you can access, the good thing about it was how you could geo-surf (using the free Hola plug-in to Firefox in my case) to another country and get different content. eg. The USA Netflix only went up to season 6 for Dr Who, however switching to the Netherlands gave access to season 7.

As good as it was, I found I wasn't using it much after the first 6 months so I cancelled my service. Netflix still keeps spamming me to my Australian email account to come back so, for now at least, they don't care what colour your money is :D

It is not illegal per se to get USA Netflix in Australia.

I use it via Un-Block.us and Netflix.com via an Apple TV box. Very easy, cheap and masses of content.

Full Australian instructions and explanation of legalities here:-

http://www.netflixaustralianow.com.au/

Costs us roughly $18 AUD per month for both Unblock-US and Netflix plus your internet connection on top and $100 for the Apple TV box.

Have to say, we love it. We don't watch much TV anyway to be honest, but the last 5 or 6 month we've pretty much watched Netflix exclusively.

We've cancelled out Fetch TV package as everything and more is on Netflix anyway and at better quality. Fetch TV give some b****t about bandwidth issues, compressing the feed a fair bit and only providing two channel sound. Our Netflix feed is insanely good, the picture quality is FAR superior to what we were getting on Fetch TV, (on both the terrestrial channels and their net feed channels) and the Netflix feed carries 5.1 digital sound.

Agree with others too, when Netflix officially launches here it will be a vastly stripped down version in terms of connected compared to USA. Just hope they don't close the USA back doors once the Aussie version is here.

Thanks for this info, be onto it now.

I subscribe to US Netflix with Getflix as geo-blocking workaround. It has been great so far watching a lot of great TV shows anytime I want. Until Stan/Presto/AU Netflix has what US Netflix has I think I still stay with US Netflix for a while.

The good thing about Getflix is that it is not a VPN services so all your internet traffic is not routed via VPN cauing delays. Also you can put the Getflix settings on your modem so all your devices via this modem can use Netflix USA.

I have my Samsung TV Apps to be set to UK (I changed to UK so I have access to BBC iPlayer for UK content). so that I have native Netflix App on my Samsung TV, so I can watch US Netflix directly from my Samsung TV, rather having to mirror/cast it from PCs/Laptops. Very convenient.

I am watching Breaking Bad season 2 now (yes I know it is late but I am slowly catching up). I cannot wait for The House of Cards season 3.

I have my Samsung TV Apps to be set to UK (I changed to UK so I have access to BBC iPlayer for UK content). so that I have native Netflix App on my Samsung TV, so I can watch US Netflix directly from my Samsung TV, rather having to mirror/cast it from PCs/Laptops. Very convenient.

Similar to how the Apple TV box gets set up, once the Unblock-Us is configured, you reset the Apply TV to USA region and the Netflix app appears. Very neat.

Also worth mentioning that Netflix USA and un-block us do not have contract tie ins, you can quit any time and they both have free trials so you can test it out. I think a lot of the other geo sites are similar.

The only slight niggle with Un-Block US is now and again, when the ISP changes your IP address from their end I get an error on Apple TV to say Netflix is the wrong region, just means I have to fire up the PC, hit the Un-Block us site and press the refresh IP button so they can map the VPN to thw new IP address. By the time I get back to the TV everything is working again.

Just worried I wont be able to set it up as I am technically challenged, please tell me its really simple, don't tell me you need to be a computer nerd to get it up and running.

I still don't have good enough internet for video downloads. ADSL 0.0 here. NBN was promised but everything got frozen on change of government. ADSL2 was frozen due to impending NBN.

Just worried I wont be able to set it up as I am technically challenged, please tell me its really simple, don't tell me you need to be a computer nerd to get it up and running.

It's fairly straight forward, depending on what you are going to use as your 'conduit', (i.e. Apple TV box, Smart TV, Playstation. PC etc).

Have a read through the instructions on that Australian Netflix link I sent you, there's instructions for each device type.

I'll be honest, you'll need someone :)
Ask your daughters if anyone of her friends can set it up for you. Practically everyone I know under 30 has set it up from Oz to connect to US Netflix

I'll be honest, you'll need someone :)
Ask your daughters if anyone of her friends can set it up for you. Practically everyone I know under 30 has set it up from Oz to connect to US Netflix

LOL, love it....you know me well, nothing like confidence building:p
But then again I got you to sort out my drawings, remember that one:)

I find its funny that I am probably the only one on SS that is totally technically challenged, but then again just about everyone on SS works in the IT industry.

Back