Netflix

Anyone know which provider is best value for Netflix AU?
Criteria:
  • NBN
  • Speed 50Mbps ideal
  • Unlimited data
  • Mobile plan deal is a plus, I'm considering moving out from TPG

Currently Optus sounds enticing, $90 per month deal for unlimited data at 25Mbps, plus phone line etc (not important) - I will probably up the speed for the Ultra HD netflix option. But at 24 months contract ....

Also $10 off mobile plan - the $30 mobile plan without discount has a deal for 1.5GB data which is better than TPG

I use "StreamGuide-Netflix Worldwide" app on a lot of ocassions to see whats available. (both android/apple)

It can show everything available to netflix across all the regions.
For shows not available to OZ, then you just change countries with your dynamic dns account of choice (I use unotelly).

This would mean you might be able to get most of your viewing data quota free but balance (overseas) would be data counted.

I use "StreamGuide-Netflix Worldwide" app on a lot of ocassions to see whats available. (both android/apple)

It can show everything available to netflix across all the regions.
For shows not available to OZ, then you just change countries with your dynamic dns account of choice (I use unotelly).

This would mean you might be able to get most of your viewing data quota free but balance (overseas) would be data counted.

Nice work! I'll give that a look. Cheers.

Just random ones from memory, I'll have a proper look over the coming days but I think I'll be canceling after my free month and sticking with the USA one based on what I've seen so far.

Based on your list, the Australian Netflix subscription is priced too high by $8.98 a month.

Just a thought with Au$/US$ we would be paying roughly an extra 25% for US product.

Depends what you want to watch though. It's worth 25% for us as, based on my quick list, almost nothing of what we currently enjoy is even on the Aus version.

I'm not holding my breath as to quality yet either, I'll check tonight, but I know the normal FetchTV stuff (both terrestrial and internet channels) aren't broadcast with the 5.1 stereo signal whereas Netflix US though HDMI via an Apple TV is, so when watching movies i can crank my surround system up nice and LOUD.

It may be the Neflix via FetchTV also carries the 5.1DD but I'd be surprised as Fetch TV espoused "bandwidth issues" whenever I've seen queries regarding no digital surround availability on their channels.

I'm keen to see what the picture qwuality is like. Our USA Netflix through Apple TV (just standard def version of Netflix) absolutely pees all over the regular terrestrial TV broadcast & internet channels we get via FetchTV on a 60" HD plasma.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but I think the content on the Aus version is supposed to improve after the first year. I think there are issues with existing contracts, maybe with Foxtel, which run another year.

AFAIK, the bare bones price of Netflix accounts are similar around the world when currency is taken into account - except you'll need a DNS/VPN to access them of course (which may have a cost).

Just in case people didn't know.....your netflix accounts are usable in all regions. ie: one account fits all - it all depends on what your ip address is as to what content you're served up.

So, really wouldn't matter if you join OZ or US or UK

Netflix have said they will be adding new stuff every few weeks - the current catalogue is only the beginning. However I wouldn't expect to get any larger in number of titles than say Canada, which has about half the US titles.

There are guides and apps around that show whats available in each of the 20 regions. Using them you can simply change your IP to access something that's not available in one zone or another. It's really strange, but you'll find stuff available in Canada not in US or here. Or UK and not US etc etc.

You gotta watch them VPN's sometimes though. I forget to turn it off and did some Internet Banking. Had a text message from my bank a few minutes later coz I did a transfer to someone from an IP in the US. They thought it suspicious. Good to know they're watching I guess ;)

I'm keen to see what the picture qwuality is like. Our USA Netflix through Apple TV (just standard def version of Netflix) absolutely pees all over the regular terrestrial TV broadcast & internet channels we get via FetchTV on a 60" HD plasma.

From what I was reading over at Internode (my isp), it looks as though we'll be able to use it through mobiles, tablets tv's etc as well as fetch tv.

I've been using a lappy with HDMI for the last 2 years, then a media streamer (WDTV), but I ended up getting a new Samsung bluray player recently and downloaded the app to it a few weeks ago and works a treat. As you say, Netflix is great surround sound.

What? Paying 12 bucks a month for a ridiculously larger range of options as opposed to 9 bucks for a sprinkling of (what it seems) is a very poor selection.

I hear you, peanuts.
Remember I am the fool who has been payin $147 per month for foxtel for xx years.
I am happy we have choice

I hear you, peanuts.
Remember I am the fool who has been payin $147 per month for foxtel for xx years.

200.gif

Ouch

So, I signed up for free 1 month Aussie trial yesterday and tried it out at home last night.

Firstly, picture quality was great. It's streamed direct from Netflix by the looks of things, via an app on the FetchTV menu, so doesn't look like Fetch or iiNet are monkeying around with the feed. The Netflix PQ via FetchTV is as good as the USA one via AppleTV and better than the other FetchTV channels.

Sound - sound through the FetchTV box is also delivered in 5.1 DD, (this will probably be an issue for Fetch now as they have always said they couldn't serve up their feed in DD due to bandwidth, yet Netflix via FetchTV do it (with better PQ) with no problems. Now, although the sound was 5.1DD it not quite as good as the 5.1DD through USA Netflix & AppleTV, not that it's bad, just not "as good". That is likely down to FetchTV hardware though I;d guess.

Content wise. there seemed to be a few new movies on there that aren't on USA, (like Captain America Winter Soldier and Shooter), but a lot of missing series. There were other series on there that were not on USA though, like Fallen Skies.

So, I was saying to Emma maybe we need USA and Australia accounts and we'd just monitor it for the free month, see if it's worth another $9 on top of the $10.xx USA one.

Just in case people didn't know.....your netflix accounts are usable in all regions. ie: one account fits all - it all depends on what your ip address is as to what content you're served up.

You are a LEGEND. I hadn't quite paid enough attention to hat you said here until last night. We got half way through Captain America and I suddenly remembered your post for some reason. So, I exited the Aussie Netflix app on FetchTV and signed out. I signed back in to AUSTRALIAN Netflix on the FetchTV app using my USA credentials, and sure enough, it let me in no problem. I have all my favorites etc and it offered up the AUSTRALIAN content. We watched the rest of Captain America with no issues, then I switched on the ApplTV & USA Netflix, same credentials still worked and all the USA content was offered up. The ling of and short of it means it looks like you would be able to sign up for $8.99 Aussie Netfliz and watch it however you like, (AppleTV, streamed from PC or via an ISP & FetchTV) AND grab a geoblock subscription and watch the USA version through an APpleTV similar for NO EXTRA COST (aside form your geoblock subs) on the same login details,. What a great result.

I didn't do a full comparison of what wasn't on Aussie Netflix out of what we watch in the end as now I know we can get both regions for no extra payment there's no need, but for those interested, a very quick comparison showed that on my USA feed I have 55 shows & movies in my "list" but only 5 of them show up in my list when logged into the Australian stream, that's a massive difference even in a small sample pool.

This will be very handy now I know we'll have access to both regions, but I couldn't find it. I found one called iStreamguide at $2.49, was it that one? Doesnt look like they list Australia yet but no doubt it will get added.

This will be very handy now I know we'll have access to both regions, but I couldn't find it. I found one called iStreamguide at $2.49, was it that one? Doesnt look like they list Australia yet but no doubt it will get added.

Interesting.........that's the same app, looks like android version is FREE but apple version needs payment - just another reason I personally don't buy i-things. The android version definintely shows OZ content already when you have it up & running.

As for streaming, you'll find that as long as you use a vpn or dynamic DNS in your player of choice, then you'll have access to that country's programs. The reason for the differences in content is due to popularity in the different countries. If you want more UK stuff, than you change your DNS to a UK one coz that's where the UK stuff is more popular.

And for anyone interested in streaming to their android phone.

It seems Netflix have coded the android phone app to require google dns only so cannot stream other regions.........yet. I suspect android tablets are in the same boat, but will check this morning.

But must say, it streams OZ very nicely on my phone with it's stereo speakers.

Of course, I have no idea about the i-things.

The reason for the differences in content is due to popularity in the different countries. If you want more UK stuff, than you change your DNS to a UK one coz that's where the UK stuff is more popular.

Pretty sure it has more to do with licencing than popularity.

I hear you, peanuts.

If you have Apple TV, you can also buy apps for AFL and American sports leagues (plus others maybe, I haven't used them so don't know the full details) that allow you to watch a full season's worth of games. So no excuse to use Foxtel anymore :p

Foxtel out the door.

Certainly going to be a price war now in Australia with TV streaming, lets see what happens over the next 6 months, still dubious from the posts here whether other suppliers come up with the goods.

Plus you can use iTunes to "rent" new release movies as well.

If you buy a American gift card online, you can access their American store and get movies earlier. Usually $5 to rent a movie for the day

Back