Network Monitoring

I make a statement that I want my son to aim to be a good bred winner, and some assume I believe women should be bare foot, pregnant, and uneducated.

Then the likes of CJ come along and allude parents have no rights to limit a minor's independence and free will.

This type of ill considered and puerile challenge is deliberately provocative flaming. And has reminded me of the downside of discussing values based issues on a public forum.

I am not a rogue. Neither my partner or I are small minded uneducated child beating homophobe red necks.....and unfortunately this is the only pigeon hole some posters have available to put considered conservative people into.

My partner has been a primary school teacher for 26 years, 20 in the public system and 6 in a private Anglican school. She has several post graduate qualifications in behavior management, and acts as a mentor and senior trainer of other teachers in the primary and secondary schools. I would suggest she has clearer insight into the effects of parenting techniques than anyone on this forum. I have also had a consultative role in dealing with Gen X parents whose children are not fed or exercised healthfully, disciplined properly, have a profound lack of routine, and diminished capacity to focus their attention long enough to learn much at all.

The values I have expressed here are shared by my partner.

Winston: I have no issue with you wanting that for you son, just like others had said here, it is good for you to take a strong interest in wanting your children to succeed, especially much better than those who take none at all. It was not the bread winner statement which irked me, but that in combination with the assumption of Lil Skater in the future primarily being a good wife and mother. If I have misunderstood what you have stated I'm sorry, I just find the inference that a woman's role being that primarily as backward.

If I have misunderstood what you have stated I'm sorry, I just find the inference that a woman's role being that primarily as backward.

I'm quite the "feminist" but I never took his statement to mean what some people are saying. I thought he just meant that if she chose that role, she'd probably want to be a good one. Didn't think he said she should become one because she's female.

I think Simon made a good post, everyone is different, with different values and we should perhaps respect one another's opinions rather than criticise and throw insults at each other.

I don't know if I'm reading this thread wrong but I saw WW's actions as trying to protect his son and family from destruction such as

That and then some Invstor. I actually would prefer all kids (girl or boy) avoid the downside so they can get about building a better world for themselves and all....via vision, aspiration, self discipline, education, insight, determination, mental & physical health, and lots of other things some find uncool....

No, I do realise at 17 you're not seen as an independent. However at 17, I bought my own car, paid insurance, petrol, repairs etc myself. Most of my peers had their cars bought for them and didn't even pay for their own petrol. I also paid my own phone bill, worked two jobs AND continued to do plenty of sporting activities.

I have been living interstate for the past 6 months, paying my own way completely as an independent. When I moved here it was less than 6 months after I turned 18... Which doesn't make me much older than your Son.

Need I mention, yet again. I am 18, a very similar age to your Son, I live in another state to my parents and hours away from any other family - You have no idea how hard this is for me, but I do it every day. I get up early every day and take myself to work - because I know I won't have a roof over my head, I know I won't eat, I know I won't be able to do what I love, which is skate.

I don't have any friends, besides the ones I have met through my sport or my boyfriend. I don't have a huge support network of people around me to help out when times get tough or help me to run away from the reality which is life, but I've put myself in this position because I wanted to prove myself to everyone that said I couldn't and because I know I can do and be anyone that I want to be and you know what, I'm going to be great - I'm making my parents proud, myself proud and I know I have so many people cheering me on.
I think one of the issues here is that we don't know WW's son. We don't know his temperament. We don't know the family dynamic, and we also don't know WW's parenting style, other than what has been mentioned here.

I would presume that WW's son has many issues (we all do, not just singleing him out) that form the special idividual that he is. The same as you and I, and everyone else out there does.

Your upbringing would probably have had some similarities and most probably many differences based not only on our style of parenting, but also on your own strengths and weaknesses. Your pigheadedness (for want of a better word), and I don't mean that harshly as it can also be a great asset, determination and inner resolve are somewhat unique in someone, not only of your age, but of most people I know. This is a good thing.

We wanted both of our children to be able to stand and do exactly what you are doing by the age of 18. To help teach you the value of money, we were harsh (compared to many parents) and made you pay for the things you wanted. Nothing makes you appreciate something more, than having to pay for it themselves. I remember well, you being so proud of your little car that you bought yourself and defending yourself against some of your peers who bagged you out for owning it. Mind you, they didn't even have a car and were getting much more money than you, with your little part time job, courtesy of Centrelink.

By making you struggle, you learnt that you could have anything you wanted, you just had to work out how. You learnt that you could party and have a good time, without the alcohol. You learnt that you did not need a wardrobe bursting with new clothes. You learnt how to be an adult in an age where many are still not adults and standing on their own two feet in their mid 20's

So you and others, can try to bring me down. Try to compare me to others my age, but I'm nothing like your Son, his friends or my old friends. I don't need my parent's, boyfriend's or Government's money - I'm making my own and holding myself up on my own two feet and will continue to do so.

In all honesty, I really don't think WW is trying to bring you down. He just does not know you. You are definately not the average for your age.
Oh, and for the record. I'm going to be more than a wife and a mother and I love the fact that these are your only goals for a woman, to be a wife and a mother. I'm not a feminist, but I know I can do more in my life than raise children or cook for four.

the assumption of Lil Skater in the future primarily being a good wife and mother.

LOL! I am sure that some time in the future Lil WILL be a good wife and mother, however I would suggest that anyone that thinks this will be her ONLY role just does not know her.

Lil Skater, Your more liberal views are a new phenomenon, no more than 20 years old. I can tell you many of the new freer trends regarding child rearing will have more bad consequences than good. That is my view based on living in many countries and listening carefully to several generations of parents.

You would do well to talk to older people and find out how people have lived before your generation. Read history and understand what your forebears valued, and what you should be prioritizing most.

After you have done this, you might be better prepared to be a good wife and mother yourself one day. In not mastering impulsive behavior, that behavior will control you....and you will be worse off for it. It will deprive you of more options than it will open up for you.

Self discipline and self mastery might sound square and suffocating concepts to you......but I promise you that without it, you will not achieve 1/10 of what you can with it. You will just compete with 85% of the population who don't value these concepts highly.

If you really want to excel at something, you have to learn to apply yourself, be disciplined, master impulse. That is what we prioritize in bringing up our boys. When you have children of your own, you will be free to use all of your new found ideas on them.

Hmmm...... it appears that I missed this post.:(

I am sure that Lil did not at any time make any post detailing her apparent liberal views on child rearing, only her own experiences including how she bought and maintained her own vehicle with her own funds prior to 18 years of age.

FWIW, I am sure that her views, when the time comes, will be much less liberal that those of which you assume.

In all honesty, I really don't think WW is trying to bring you down. He just does not know you. You are definately not the average for your age.

My appologies Lil, it does seem that there was a bit of an unwarrented personal attack there that I missed.

Due to recent events at our place, TBH and I have discussed monitoring the kid's computers for a while. We were interested in tracking messenger and facebook conversations and websites visited.

If anyone has experience and recommendations re software, I'd appreciate it.
I've had a bit of a search tonight but it is hard to know how good these things are.

Hello WW

A bit off topic :), but does your router allow keyword blocking? block any site with specific text - google, the "m" word ---- microsloth ;
Limit the lappy IP's when they have access to the net.
Activate the logging functions that are embedded in the router firmware.

aaarghhh

My appologies Lil, it does seem that there was a bit of an unwarrented personal attack there that I missed.

I am sorry you see it as a personal attack Skater. My comments that you have quoted, were based on some of Lil Skater's earlier views which included :

"He's an adult in a few months and I think at that age they deserve their privacy, if my parents did this to me when I was 17 I'd probably tell them to get f***ed."

I would not have dared talk to my parents like that and never did, but as you have said, there's a range of values out there....and maybe the fault is mine in not being more tolerant of others'.

Hello WW

A bit off topic :), but does your router allow keyword blocking? block any site with specific text - google, the "m" word ---- microsloth ;
Limit the lappy IP's when they have access to the net.
Activate the logging functions that are embedded in the router firmware.

aaarghhh

Hi aaaarghhh. Yeah I've had a look at shutting down various ports.
I have a Billion as a backup router, and will get that out to see if its network rules are more comprehensive. Hope you are well these days.

Hi aaaarghhh. Yeah I've had a look at shutting down various ports.
I have a Billion as a backup router, and will get that out to see if its network rules are more comprehensive. Hope you are well these days.

Make a few rules so TCP:5190 (AIM) traffic goes 127.0.0.0 or somewhere like that.

aaarghhh the bliss of endless timeouts.

cheers

Make a few rules so TCP:5190 (AIM) traffic goes 127.0.0.0 or somewhere like that.

aaarghhh the bliss of endless timeouts.

cheers

hehehe. yeah we've got fixed broadband wireless through a mircowave dish on the roof (there's a RIM between the exchange and us); and whenever there's a strong wind, cloud, rain hanging around Mt Nebo, timeouts r us.

Back