Never enough options for our wee rural block

Wow - so many options and irons in the fire for a mere 27 acres.

We're close to canning the idea of the holiday accommodation due to the over $100,000 quoted merely to get additional power connected for three cottages and large start up cost of build, water tanks, septics etc.

So, instead we're looking (and experimenting) with value adding to the produce already on the farm - or being added in the next twelve months for low cost - and there are just so many untapped opportunities.

We inheritated 5 acres of Shiraz vineyard. As wine lovers will know, Shiraz is not a trendy variety at the moment and difficult to sell. Even I don't particularly favour it as a drop ... :eek: ... but a vine takes 5 years to ripen for production so no point in planting anything trendy now as in five years tastes will have moved on.

Instead we are looking at selling most of our grapes this coming harvest (our first) but holding some back for experimenting with producing a Shiraz paste and making "natural" wine.

Natural wine is making a very trendy, underground comeback after being absent for nearly 80 years - "natural" wine is defined as being produced with no chemical spraying and no additives (yeast, sugar, acid, sulphur at every step etc) at all except maybe/perhaps the very slightest addition of sulphur right on bottling. Fermented in traditional ceramic amphorae.

Added to that we are near to harvesting our first sample crop of organically grown garlic - the only additives were dolomite for the clay, stable manure for the nutrients and organic bulk and cow manure tea to keep the worms happy before planting - and doesn't the garlic lurve stable manure!

What an adventure the garlic is in itself - there are just so many options, and we are surround by over 100 restaurants/cafes to target ... green garlic (pulled before clove formation and used like a garlicky leek) - scapes (flower heads/stems used in salads and stirfrys) - fresh garlic (undried) - traditional dried garlic - black garlic (fermented in it's own juices via slow cooking in a solar hydronic oven) - wine pickled garlic ...

... so - continuing on for my "trading name" thread ... starting to think along different lines from Oakey Creek "whatever" ...

We named our vineyard Spotty Dog (Shiraz) early on - even tho we haven't produced a bottle yet - and after our rescue dog called Spot - photo below - and wondering whether to produce everything under the Spotty Dog label.

Spotty Dog Shiraz - Spotty Dog (insert end product here) Garlic - and so on - what do you think? Picture the label of an angular cartoon dog with spots on it's ears and happy, tongue hanging grin.

Life is pretty exciting at the moment - so much planning and sourcing and reading and learning - along with the regular vege garden, orchard, massive landscaping and renovations underway.

Don't know that 27 acres is going to be enough in the end!

Attachments

• Photo1506.jpg
    Photo1506.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Skin is what usually makes it red/pink ... and can leave in or not ... just need to brew a little longer to convert the tannins

Hi Lizzie,

congrats on thinking beyond the set-backs for your original ideas. Sometimes better things will come.

I like Spotty Dog. It is a name used for a variety of businesses as the ASIC search shows. I hope the link is active:

https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/R...&searchText=spotty dog&searchType=OrgAndBusNm

The generic Spotty Dog P/L is taken, however something like Spotty Dog Estate(s) may give you flexibility with product, not only for Shiraz but any future wine as it doesn't limit you to the varietal and may also incorporate your garlic venture under that umbrella. It would appear that the name is still available to register as a Pty Ltd Co whether to trade or use as a trustee for a DFT.....at least you lock up the name.

I am unfamiliar with the Hunter region, however if your eventual audience is beyond the local food trail, then using a name like Oakey would confuse me as it is also a place just out of Toowoomba in S/EQ. You can always mention the Hunter region on the label. A cartoon type picture on the label is also good. Be sure all your products are branded and portrayed with identical graphics. Once you've selected, keep the theme.

Good luck :)

Really awesome news Lizzie.

It's a pity the holiday cottages are so expensive to start up as it would have really rounded up a fantastic place.

You'll have to start a back to nature camping ground with composting toilet :)

I love 'Spotty Dog' too, everyone loves a spotty puppy!
Here's my little pup.
Looks a bit like yours, his ear is on the way back up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 61
I love 'Spotty Dog' too, everyone loves a spotty puppy!
Here's my little pup.
Looks a bit like yours, his ear is on the way back up!

And he has a love heart nose just like my spotty dog! So very cute ... we've managed to discern Retriever, Boarder Collie and perhaps Kelpie in ours so far.

We have the company banner name already - nothing to do with the enterprise - so will be operating under trading names for the various projects.

And he has a love heart nose just like my spotty dog! So very cute ... we've managed to discern Retriever, Boarder Collie and perhaps Kelpie in ours so far.

We have the company banner name already - nothing to do with the enterprise - so will be operating under trading names for the various projects.

I prefer the name Spotty Dog to Oakey. I think it's much easier to remember, and a little bit quirky.

Further to what Player said, get onto the domains too. I registered a business name but then found that not only the .com but the .com.au were both already taken. The .com.au by some chick in NY for her wedding photos- go figure!! So Now I own a few different permutations of what I wanted just to cover my bases. (shameless plug www.iheartmyhome.com.au :D not fully functional yet :()

Further to what Player said, get onto the domains too. I registered a business name but then found that not only the .com but the .com.au were both already taken. The .com.au by some chick in NY for her wedding photos- go figure!! So Now I own a few different permutations of what I wanted just to cover my bases. (shameless plug www.iheartmyhome.com.au :D not fully functional yet :()

Yep. Do this. Spotty Dog Estate is available, (unless I decide to gazump you and buy it now :p ) at the moment, so register it now.

Good for you, wonderful adventure.

I was watching a show about an American who now lives in France who happens to make one the best natural wines in the country, very interesting.

I thought this link is very useful to explain exactly what it is and also outlines the comparisons natural and the norm.:)

http://www.rawfair.com/what-natural-wine

oooooo - thanks for that - we were watching a segment on Landline about it on Saturday regarding Australian's venturing into this perceived "hippy" market which is now hot in the UK, NY and Europe.

Not sure about Spotty Dog Estate ... will try a few combinations and see what's available as a dot com and com au ... I always do this before registering the business name.

Good for you, wonderful adventure.

I was watching a show about an American who now lives in France who happens to make one the best natural wines in the country, very interesting.

I thought this link is very useful to explain exactly what it is and also outlines the comparisons natural and the norm.:)

http://www.rawfair.com/what-natural-wine

oooooo - thanks for that - we were watching a segment on Landline about it on Saturday regarding Australian's venturing into this perceived "hippy" market which is now hot in the UK, NY and Europe.

Not sure about Spotty Dog Estate ... will try a few combinations and see what's available as a dot com and com au ... I always do this before registering the business name.

This is so much fun, I am envious:)

hahaha - well - we got a plague of locusts thru last night ... so it's been drought and now locusts - not sure what we've done but hoping the brimstone doesn't follow.

Hoping the little munchers don't do us out of a grape crop as there is very little available to spray them with ... hubby went down the vineyard and reckons they've moved on already with minimal damage, so I'll double check.

Spent the afternoon sweeping up bucket loads of them off the entertainment area.

Love Spotty Dog, and as its quirky, why not "Spotty Dog Stuff". I would really like natural wine as the preservatives in the stuff don't agree with my stomach these days.

Back