New Bathroom

Looks great boeman.

I just had one of those double shower heads installed in our new bathroom. They are quite cool.

It's amazing how much you can save if you're handy and willing to do some work yourself. I'm on the otherside of the spectrum - not handy, so my bathroom reno was a tad (ok - a lot) more expensive.

Cheers

Jamie

You could, but most builders wouldn't.

Even with a reflux valve, it is all about ensuring there is no threat of a water build up since there is no hob. So a channel grate collects it rather than your floor.

Practicality is fantastic, I love mine and the house I built my parents with a couple of more grand versions is quite amazing if I do say so myself. I would always take the option over standard since it presents nicer and opens up the house to the demographic of disabled and elderly.

Why do you have to use a reflux valve? I have never heard of this being done on a shower?

Why do you have to use a reflux valve? I have never heard of this being done on a shower?

It is a contingency builders prefer to use in most cases.

In the event of a blockage in a normal shower, you have the 150mm or thereabouts where water could start filling before spilling over into the bathroom.

With a reflux valve, if there is a blockage, it acts so the excess build up from the blockage will not come back up your shower waste.

Not a must, just a preferred method on new builds for worst-case scenarios.

John - I'm not a fan of the smart tiles personally. Much prefer the channel grates.

Wow. Nice work boeman! Quick question if you don't mind. Where abouts did you go to source for your vanities and cabinets? I'm currently researching to renovate a bathroom as well. (assuming you were trying to minimize your cost as much as possible yet not sacrifice on quality?)

Wow. Nice work boeman! Quick question if you don't mind. Where abouts did you go to source for your vanities and cabinets? I'm currently researching to renovate a bathroom as well. (assuming you were trying to minimize your cost as much as possible yet not sacrifice on quality?)

Ended up getting it from the Bathroom Outlet (I think that is their name) in Osborne Park. Opposite Trend ceramics.

By the time I got my cabinet maker, a stone offcut and a basin all through work, it was easier and cheaper to spend the $700 and get the whole kit (minus mixer and pop up waste) from them.

Soft close, includes handles. Not great quality but more than acceptable.

Awesome, will go check them out soon!
How about tiles/tiling?

I work in a management position at a large Perth builder.

Tiles I got cheap from our regular supplier, tiling was a cheap cash job also from a tiler I have always used. Unfortunately cant help you there as they were personal favours.

However, if you go to the larger tile supply shops, for instance Prestige Tile Gallery, they can help with a supply and install service.

Recommend full height rectified tiles, mine are a 600x300. Looks nicer, easier to clean (tiny grout joins) and waterproofs the entire room essentially (not 100%, but no dampness on walls if the shower is too hot in a small room).

Is this one of those showers without a door.

Yep. Just a fall to the grate and stand behind screen.

Doors cost money and closed in the room too much.
Bathroom looks awesome, boeman, well done. :)

As an aside, and purely a personal thing, after using walk-in showers at hotels several times, I'm having a door on my new PPOR shower. Why? I found it too cold! When you have a contained area, the steam builds up and warms up the air in the shower cubicle significantly. Even in relatively warm climates, I found showering in a walk-in shower unpleasantly cold.

If you're not convinced, I suggest before you swap a closed-in for a walk-in, try having your next shower with the door open, and see if you like it. (Many probably do, and good for them. :))

Bathroom looks awesome, boeman, well done. :)

As an aside, and purely a personal thing, after using walk-in showers at hotels several times, I'm having a door on my new PPOR shower. Why? I found it too cold! When you have a contained area, the steam builds up and warms up the air in the shower cubicle significantly. Even in relatively warm climates, I found showering in a walk-in shower unpleasantly cold.

If you're not convinced, I suggest before you swap a closed-in for a walk-in, try having your next shower with the door open, and see if you like it. (Many probably do, and good for them. :))

Could explain my choice.

Ms boeman has her showers so hot I can barely touch it with my hands. I, on the other hand, have luke warm/cold showers... Weird, I know.

Can solve the problem with the double shower head though, plenty of water everywhere to keep you warm.

That is the plan for my bathroom reno. How much does it cost of the screen. Did you replace the wall after remove the bathtub?

Screen and mirror were $410 installed. Note it was from a supplier at work who did me a deal on it all.

Bathtub sits against the wall, so no replacement of the wall required as once its out there will be an existing wall on all sides, albeit a little damaged if you are as sledgehammer-happy as I am. Just rip it out and the tiler will patch and float to make good ready for waterproofing.

Screen and mirror were $410 installed. Note it was from a supplier at work who did me a deal on it all.

Bathtub sits against the wall, so no replacement of the wall required as once its out there will be an existing wall on all sides, albeit a little damaged if you are as sledgehammer-happy as I am. Just rip it out and the tiler will patch and float to make good ready for waterproofing.

Does this kind of walk-in shower cheaper to install than ones with doors?
I have IP with oldish bathroom and would like to renew it to this kind of style if possible (I have it in my current apartment and love it, doors make shower cramped)
Bathroom2.png

Does this kind of walk-in shower cheaper to install than ones with doors?
I have IP with oldish bathroom and would like to renew it to this kind of style if possible (I have it in my current apartment and love it, doors make shower cramped)
View attachment 13037

Well, yes it should be, but kinda a case by case scenario.

The money you save on a framed door may be lost on the channel grate, depending how long it is. Also I think in general if the room allows it that a pivot door screen is a more professional finish in most scenarios.

I too like the look, but I did mine mostly not to close off the room. For yours I would actually entertain the idea of a framed door and screen where the bath is. Then the bottom of the frame will provide even more of a fail safe from water overflow since it will be hobless.

looks great! well done

question, with the sloping tiles, did you simply put extra glue?

Ive found that whether DIY or pro, the extra glue causes tile unevenness,

using 300x300 tiles

looks very nice!!!!

I have exactly the same dual shower head at home. Highly recommended !!!!

Pesonnally i hate to say is not so good for investment property as if it was me i spend more than 30 mins enjoying myself in the shower with the new shower head amassing a large water bill!!!!

hahaha sorry Boreman but if for sale and practical view then is a real plus.

looks great! well done

question, with the sloping tiles, did you simply put extra glue?

Ive found that whether DIY or pro, the extra glue causes tile unevenness,

using 300x300 tiles

Sloping is achieved in the prep. The floor where the bath was is recessed concrete. So just added blue metal dust to the screed and screeded with about 25mm fall to the grated end. So tiles just followed this with even gluing

Back