New blinds - what colour

I have a renovated IP that I need to put blinds in. Problem is that I don't know what colour is good.

Planning on getting Vertical blinds (i tend to find verticals allow for light while giving privacy at a cheaper price than getting the dual roller blinds).

Trying to figure out what colour works well. The walls are painted Hogs Bristle Quarter (off white yellowy colour) and the ceilings/trims are painted White on White.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Front of the house is polished floor. Rear of the house is a whitish gray tiles.
Kitchen is white, wardrobes are white with mirrors.

neK,

I dislike verticals for rentals as I find the cords and the little bits linking all the verticals get broken, easily. Thus leaving a poor looking blind.

Roller blinds with a tough calico/vinyl are great for IPs. They cost a bit more but are well worth it.

We just got our duplex finished with these for approximately $3,000. Have a look at the below link for what I am talking about.

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/D...526-82BLongSt_Rangeville_zpsa363246b.jpg.html

neK,

I dislike verticals for rentals as I find the cords and the little bits linking all the verticals get broken, easily.
In Canberra, they don't have much thermal insulation. However, in the granny flat we're building, we have double glazing.

When we rented the verticals didn't get broken- we had a toddler at the time.

What was your cost comparison vertical vs roller blinds for a single window?

I also hate verticals - even though I currently have them in my PPOR.

For my IPs Ive gone with a white wooden venetian. Bought them online cut to size. I did the whole house for around $1000.

http://www.cheapa-blinds.com.au/Timber-Blinds-C35.aspx

Pics attached - sorry you have to turn your head.

With that colour scheme I would go white.

Attachments

• Old Blinds.JPG
    Old Blinds.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 120
  • New Blind Bed 2.JPG
    New Blind Bed 2.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 116
  • New Blind Bed2.JPG
    New Blind Bed2.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 112
I also hate verticals - even though I currently have them in my PPOR.

For my IPs Ive gone with a white wooden venetian. Bought them online cut to size. I did the whole house for around $1000.

http://www.cheapa-blinds.com.au/Timber-Blinds-C35.aspx

Pics attached - sorry you have to turn your head.

With that colour scheme I would go white.
I have those in our PPOR. The wooden slats can break easily. I saw the broken carcass of one set of blinds in an IP- they stayed together for a few years before breaking down completely.

neK,

I dislike verticals for rentals as I find the cords and the little bits linking all the verticals get broken, easily. Thus leaving a poor looking blind.

Roller blinds with a tough calico/vinyl are great for IPs. They cost a bit more but are well worth it.

We just got our duplex finished with these for approximately $3,000. Have a look at the below link for what I am talking about.

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/D...526-82BLongSt_Rangeville_zpsa363246b.jpg.html

I was thinking of going roller blinds but then got confused as to what to put for the sliding door. Also short of getting the dual roller blinds that is used for sunshade, how can you let light while still providing privacy?

The blinds im looking at are around $110 for 1500w x 1000d. Some roller blinds I've seen are around the same price.

I got 15 windows + 4 sliding doors (its a granny flat + house that Im fitting out).

Last edited:
Got a quote back for Verticals (89mm, premium block out fabric) - $3k (covers house + granny flat).

Most of the cost was in the doors... a little more expensive than I was hoping for, but its something that needs to be done.

Did a comparative quote using NobullBlinds, roller came out at 3.6k.

So what are you thinking of going Nek?

I'm not a fashionista, but could you put verticals on the doors and rollers on the rest?

Hi Roachy, I ran that same idea by my wife beforehand - i thought it was good idea.

She said no (because it would look weird). :)

Thought about rollers in windows and curtains on sliding doors.... i think that would look ok, but property manager says stick with verticals. Safer option overall.

Always make window coverings the same colour as the walls. Verticals on windows and blinds on glass doors are the usual way to go and dont look weird.

I got an old set of verticals if anyone wants them.... or should i just throw them out?

Not too bad condition, could do with a wipe.
Was going to reuse them, but then it just wouldnt look right... whole new house, old blinds in some rooms.

Back