New Budget Kitchen

Hi All - I need to put a new kitchen in my first IP - It is in Brisbane on the north side. Can anyone recommend a good budget kitchen/cabinet maker in the north side area

Thanks

Mick

I was having a look around Bunnings hardware last week.
They have all sorts of kitchen cabinets, sinks, bench tops... everything you could want for a cheapish kitchen!

I priced Bunnings and it wasnt that much cheaper than Harvey Normans! Around $10000 for a basic set up Yikes! Then I found this couple who had just started operating, they use Granite Bench tops (Bunnings and HN used laminates) and the same set up, with granite and some great internal fittings is going to cost me $5500! OK, this is in Adelaide, but my point is that to look around for some of the smaller operators who do the work themselves and dont have the high overheads!

Hi Rob
It is CAA kitchens - they often advertise in the Home Section of the Sunday Mail, towards the back of the booklet. I gave away their ad to the plumber who was also going to check them out otherwise I would have their telephone number - their showroom is close by so I dont ring them - I just go in and ask!

24 Magill Road Norwood - Just opposite the Maid (and Magpie Hotel)

They say installation will take 3 days for a largish kitchen; and they work late at night to get it done; they take Credit Cards; and once ordered, it takes 6 weeks to get the cupboards made ready for installation. They had the very glossy white cupboards that HN said was their top quality finish! 10 year guarantee too. They also have the dishwasher/oven/cooktop/exhaust package for $1900 using Nobel brand (Italian)

They are a Chinese family who do all the work - and they are getting very busy too!

I have just put in a kitchen from Bunnings, you buy the cabinets in flat packs and put them together yourself (easy as) comes with instructions, cost me about $3,000 plus another $1,000 for my mate to help me install it.
My old kitchen was the woodgrain look with lime green benchtops, now it`s white cabinets with black benchtops, huge improvement. :D
I think thats all you need for IP reno`s, they look pretty good too.

plus another $1,000 for my mate to help me install it.

Geeze BJP1,

That's a mighty expensive "mate". I have been using a kitchen company who subbies the installation work out and they are only paying $550 to the installer.

Maybe it was a big kitchen?:D

Aimy

Thanks Pushka.
What a coincidince. I live just near there, too. Adelaide is such a small place :)
Thanks again and have a great New Year!!

Rob

Hi Mick

There is a place in Brisbane, I think it is called Second Chance or something like that, that sells secondhand kitchens. From memory it is at Kangaroo Point. I've never been there, but from the advertising it seems that the kitchens are all relatively new and are in good condition. They also offer an installation service.

Believe it or not, some people buy brand new houses or units, don't like the kitchen so replace it before it is even used.

May be worth checking out.
Marg

It's definitely worth checking out - the stock available obviously varies a lot, and you have to take the "whole kitchen" (some with, some without applicances). Unfortunately, they didn't have what we wanted when we went.

It's also worth checking out the auctions - Cam Brown in particular has some amazing stuff, much brand new. They do both cabinets and whitegoods. Check out the details in Saturday's Courier Mail.

Cheers
LynnH

I often agree with Wylie, she's obviously very intelligent ;)

And I will again now - you just can't go past Ikea on some things, and kitchens are one of them. I put in a whole bunch of the Udden free-standing units in a student accommodation last year, and they look very up-to-the-minute and are unbelievably inexpensive. (Perhaps too contemporary for the older market, but very appealing to the young.) http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/categories/rooms/kitchen/11836/

Just plan on spending a good portion of a day at Ikea planning out the kitchen (the staff are very helpful, but it's time-consuming) then picking up all the items from the warehouse. And don't even think about trying this on a weekend!

Last edited:
Hi Aimjoy,
That was to make up a bulkhead and install overhead cupboards as well, plus nothing is cheap here, everybody wants their cut too (big cut) :D

keep the old?

have you thought about keeping the old cupboards and bench top and getting a contractor in to re-laminate the whole lot, you can choose the colours and effect etc. of course replace the doors and fittings but just another idea to save in costs

Just with the IKEA benchtops - be careful as we have had problems with water somehow getting between the joins and lifting the top layer of the benchtop.

have you thought about keeping the old cupboards and bench top and getting a contractor in to re-laminate the whole lot, you can choose the colours and effect etc. of course replace the doors and fittings but just another idea to save in costs

Thanks Cougar - the current kitchen is too damaged to re-use - i did think about it but the benchtop is some weird stone type substance that is falling to bits and the cupboards are falling about due to water damage. There were no splash back tiles and I think this contributed to that damage.

Cheers

Mick

if you were to do an ikea kitchen but have granite cut to sit on top, it would be pretty hard to pick as ikea wouldnt it? can you spot it a mile away is what i am asking?

Yes, I think it would be hard to pick as Ikea - we bought a custom kitchen for our home for several times the cost of the Ikea ones, and honestly, I can't see any difference in the quality of the cabinets. Next time, it's Ikea for home, too!

We did a lot of research before buying our kitchen. We eventually got one from Yato Home Improvements for $4000 - white 2pac with granite benchtops. It's flat pack and although there aren't any instructions, my partner and I managed to put the base cabinets together in a day. It was fairly easy - anyone who has put together any flat pack furniture could do it. We should be able to install them this weekend.

I must admit that the ones from Ikea that we looked at were quite expensive - maybe we were looking at the wrong kitchens! The new line of kitchens at Bunnings are quite impressive but the one from Yato worked at cheaper and better value for money.

Back