New Business/New Lifestyle - Finish 9 -5 August 25th!

I finish my 9 - 5 on August 25th. I can't wait. Hubby and I are just back from a four week trip over seas and I gave notice before I left (by a few weeks - as much as I dislike the place, there are people who I don't want my decision to have a massively negative effect on).
We've launched our own business (with a third partner who is not as involved). We've constructed it in such a way that we get a lifestyle similar to that of which we'd want if we could retire. We get to travel around Australia, stopping in different places for a few weeks at a time, checking out new areas, meeting new people, and get almost three months off over winter for travel overseas. :D

We've set ourselves up as adventure racing and mountain biking event managers. I also run an online AR coaching and online personal training business. This means we can operate from anywhere unless we're actually running an event. Adventure racing is mountain biking, orienteering/running, kayaking, and anything else we choose to throw in (ie tubing, rope work, caving etc).
We currently cover from just north of Brisbane, down the coast through Sydney, Melbourne and across to Perth. We organise events ranging from sprints (up to 4hours) to 24hrs, 100km mtb races, and stage events (so tour de france on dirt, and a lot smaller/shorter).

There is a lot more behind the scenes (liasing with councils and landowners, sponsors, competitors, other event organisers, corporates who want something different for their christmas parties/conferences, suppliers, charities, etc) than people at first think, but it's well worth it to us. I love the interaction and challenge of it.

My day's are about to go from getting up, squeezing in a few hours on the business, heading off to work (highly depressing place, although a few good people), trying to squeeze a training session in, coming home etc. Feeling like I wasn't going anywhere/accomplishing anything. From the 26th most days will involve getting up, spending a few hours on the computer answering emails and dealing with people, head out to set a course wherever we are, liase with a local landowner/council, pore over some maps to try and find new locations, and a bit more course setting (could range from heading out on Jervis Bay in the kayaks, to mountain biking out the back of Wellington Dam in WA, to running around pine forrests north of Brisbane). Some days will be stupidly long (for example running a 24hr event) and I've got the toughest boss in the world to answer to (me, myself and I). But we're doing something we love, which will allow us once we have kids to spend a lot of time with them and show them a lot of Australia.

It will set us back a few years in the investing goals (I will be updating my sig line soon), and there will be some hard bits (just getting financing at the moment was hard enough). But we're doing it for the lifestyle (and hopefully make some money to go with it!).

Thanks for reading if you got this far! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
that sounds fabulous Mooze. Congratulations and I hope it all goes well for you. Being self employed can be a real love-hate kind of thing (kinda like marriage). it is great that your business is something you are passionate about. :)

FANTASTIC new Mooze!

Myself and my partner are also trying to work out a way to escape the 9-5 rut and get into a lifestyle business, you sound like you have hit the nail on the head.. best of luck with it!

Back