New computer set up

Hi All

Finally getting rid of the old and bringing in the new.

I don't need anything fancy.

I really only need computer for emails, scanning, researching using google, that's about it. I have I pad, but I still want an office set up with computer.

Would like some recommendations from IT experts, have not looked for years and years no clue whatsoever as to what would be suitable.

Thanks
MTR:)

Hi All

I really only need computer for emails, scanning, researching using google, that's about it. I have I pad, but I still want an office set up with computer.

Would like some recommendations from IT experts, have not looked for years and years no clue whatsoever as to what would be suitable.

Thanks
If that is really all you need it for, then just walk into JB Hifi and grab one, anything on the market will be suitable for you. Pick something mid range price pointed and buy it

Try something that sells for around $500 to $700. You probably don't need new keyboards, monitor etc although these are real cheap - or maybe you will because the old ones are 9 pin connections and not USB, but you can get adapters.

An all-in-one PC might be an option. They'll do what you want and will save some desk space. Here are some options. We have a couple at work and they can cover browsing and checking emails that's for sure.

If you have an iPad or an iPhone definitely consider purchasing an Apple computer. I made the switch from Windows to Mac a few years ago and have never looked back. Yes they cost more, but I find the expense worth it for the reliability and stability. Gone are the days of rebooting, constant security updates, virus scanning, disk defragmentation. My Mac works beautifully with my iPhone and iPad, and it all just works.

Once you go Mac, you never go back!

I'd just grab one of those German desktop pcs that are always on sale at Aldi - medion is the name of the brand. They're usually really good machines - especially their laptops.

Get any brand name laptop or desktop with 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, inbuilt wif-fi and, if a laptop, a screen size 14" and above if you want a DVD drive. The rest of the specs don't make much difference for an email/web surfing machine. $400 should do it easily, assuming you have a screen already for a desktop. JB Hifi is a good place to purchase from in this price range.

Hi All

Thanks

BigW had one for around $320 :D

When I set up my office I am installing dual screens.
We have them at work and they make life soooo much easier.

It would only cost a couple of hundered $$ to set up as well.

Blacky

Exact same needs as you. But I was looking for a laptop.

Went to jbhifi 2 weeks ago, got a toshiba one for $300. A satelite 11" one with a 500gig and celeron cpu.

Thought all I'd need was something cheap because I wasn't using it for much.

Big mistake, was a heap of rubbish. Slowest computer I've used, and the touchpad would constantly stop responding, etc...

Took it back for a refund. Then went to MSY and bought a gigabyte laptop for $118 more = $418. It's a quad core pentium processor, 500gig hd, and double the ram at 4gig with 2yr warranty. Really quick computer and a full 15" screen. Highly recommend MSY (they are much cheaper than other stores) and highly recommend that laptop in case you aren't set on the idea of a pc with a tower.

After my PC carked it I bought a 10 inch laptop for$235 and 22 inch monitor for $130. Works great and so cheap. I connected my mouse to it. No dvd but when I connected my printer I didn't even need the drivers. It automatically downloaded them from the web. I can plug in an external dvd if needed.

Then went to MSY and bought a gigabyte laptop for $118 more = $418. It's a quad core pentium processor, 500gig hd, and double the ram at 4gig with 2yr warranty. Really quick computer and a full 15" screen.
That's why I list 4GB RAM as my first minimum spec recommendation as it has the largest impact on performance on a basic PC. Do not get a PC with 2GB RAM ever.

FWIW, an SSD in lieu of a mechanical hard drive is the second greatest impact on performance, but is over priced for a basic PC. eg. My desktop PC with SSD boots up in less than 15 seconds.

OK,$25. :D

Seriously, the reason going up to 4GB costs around $100 more is because other components get up specced too eg. hard drive, CPU. It is still worth the upgrade cost for the RAM alone.

I can therefore simplify my recommendation to: buy the cheapest name brand laptop/desktop with 4GB RAM.

I've got 4 x 19" monitors and an adapter that lets them run from any dual output video card spare if anyone is interested. The reason: I made the mistake of connecting my desktop PC up to my 55" TV and, due the awesomeness of such screen real estate, it has become a permanent fixture in the family room. :D

You've only got yourself to blame on that one HP.

One drawback I've noticed with my faster technology is that I'm chewing through data much faster! I'm getting videos on demand! Ooohh mama, they can't be real lol.

Back