New IP (Maintenance Question)

Hi there
My first post and first IP.
It was originally our PPOR but we had to move interstate for work.
Anyway have a tenant since March and alls fine. First inspection yesterday...

1. Leaking bathroom sink in to cupboard - wasn't when we left - fair enough
2. Door handle to bedroom wardrobe loose - was when we left

and this is the weird one...
3. The inspection lady tried another house on the same block of units by mistake when arriving and was able to enter our neighbours house! The key was said to work in both. They believe our lock needs to be changed as is a security issue.

Can I get your views on #3? The place is 3.5 years old, and all 3 units were built by the same builder. We never tried our neighbours house so didn't know of this fact.

Can this be claimed on the builder - even after this time? Is it worth it?

As a newbie and advice - also any other good things to know about being in this business with the PPOR as an IP , CGT, Depreciation etc would be good . Thanks!

Hi there
My first post and first IP.
It was originally our PPOR but we had to move interstate for work.
Anyway have a tenant since March and alls fine. First inspection yesterday...

1. Leaking bathroom sink in to cupboard - wasn't when we left - fair enough
2. Door handle to bedroom wardrobe loose - was when we left

and this is the weird one...
3. The inspection lady tried another house on the same block of units by mistake when arriving and was able to enter our neighbours house! The key was said to work in both. They believe our lock needs to be changed as is a security issue.

Can I get your views on #3? The place is 3.5 years old, and all 3 units were built by the same builder. We never tried our neighbours house so didn't know of this fact.

Can this be claimed on the builder - even after this time? Is it worth it?

As a newbie and advice - also any other good things to know about being in this business with the PPOR as an IP , CGT, Depreciation etc would be good . Thanks!
I would get a locksmith in ASAP and change the locks.Its too long to blame the builder,they are probably still on construction keys which would explain the keys fitting the other unit.
You would need to get several keys cut ,one for tenant, one set sent to yourself and one to realestate.

Maybe start with front and back doors, Locksmiths are like any other Trades people you pay them,and the "ATO" pays you back,end of story
I think you have done well,one leak in the sink,one door handle maybe one hours work for a handyman,if you want to understand the way the property system works use the "Search" tag and read as much as you can welcome to the site..willair..
'

2nd the advice- get the locks changed but I'd still chase the builder for reimbursement if possible. May not be worth the stress however.

You can't really chase the builder for the reminbursment of the locks - my experience is that these locks are installed randomly - so they didn't do this on purpose.

You can save money by getting: homewatchsecurity.com.au - Shane 0433464894 - for your smoke alarm servicing. For a nominal amount extra - ~$140 p.a. - they will change the security screen doors as required between tenancies - unlimited callouts - if your property is in Brisbane.

Regardless of how you do it - you do need to make your property secure.

You can't really chase the builder for the reminbursment of the locks - my experience is that these locks are installed randomly - so they didn't do this on purpose.

You can save money by getting: homewatchsecurity.com.au - Shane 0433464894 - for your smoke alarm servicing. For a nominal amount extra - ~$140 p.a. - they will change the security screen doors as required between tenancies - unlimited callouts - if your property is in Brisbane.

Regardless of how you do it - you do need to make your property secure.

Thanks for that. Yes thought it was a long shot for the builder now. The Agent is arranging someone to do all the repairs and lock change with one person so that should save.
Property is in WA so its quite hard to coordinate without the agent really, so relying on them for the repairs.

Back