New IPhone plan for teens

Must be a talented girl to be in yr ten at ten years of age!;)

Not quite that talented! She's 14 turning 15. She's skipped one year of school completely which has been awkward in the past two schools with people she went to primary school with. New beginnings now that I've completely changed suburbs.

Sorry - I've just re-read that she is IN year 10 - not 10 yrs old.

In that case - definitely go with the phone ... does she have her own laptop too?

Your daughter is lucky to have met some nice people with all the changes. it is harder in high school I think! there has been a lot of pressure on her as her old school starts yr 11 in term 4 of yr 10 so it's been a very crammed year. The idea is for her to be able to make video's and stuff with it as she doesn't have her own device to do that. Some girls from her old school were visiting the boy next door on the weekend and they were all discussing how many times they have had sex. I'm grateful she hasn't clicked with a lot of people in her past schools and grateful she wants to spend some of her leisure time on an iPod dEvice.

Sorry - I've just re-read that she is IN year 10 - not 10 yrs old.

In that case - definitely go with the phone ... does she have her own laptop too?

Oh, I was wondering where you were coming from, thought you may have done too much wine taste-testing or getting mixed up with my youngest.

Our family lap-top spends more time out of order or in repairs (6 week blocks in repairs and then returned faulty) so I'm about to take it back in. I recently bought the cheapest in the shop so she could do assignments - around $550. And realised it's pretty slow, but OK until we stop moving around and switch back to a PC. I think maybe between the cheap laptop and an 8GB iPhone she can make do for a couple of years and then buy something better herself when she's working.

Technology (iPhones/smart phones/iPads/tablets blah blah) is now the way of the world, I don't particularly like it but with teens, I have to put up with it.
My kids MUST have a laptop or tablet for ebooks for school. (School rules)The licence for the ebooks lasts 12mths and is only about $15 dollar cheaper than the book itself in some cases, I suspect eventually this will come down when they figure out what to do with all the businesses that print these school books (and constantly bring out new editions with bugger all updates to keep the money coming in but that's a different topic...sorry!)

We were prepared to buy a dell or equiv. one daughter wanted a mac book, we made her pay the difference and it was her Xmas gift, yep, I am that miserable!

The next daughter was happy with the standard laptop as she wanted to hang onto her money. Also a Xmas gift. As are 10 professional driving lessons. Heck if we are giving up 70hrs of our time to teach them driving, it is more a gift for us but hey, thems the breaks!,

The next two will have to have them next year and same deal.
They get pocket money. Some of their chores are compulsory, they are part of the family after all but they can earn extra for extra jobs. They buy their own credit with those jobs or go without and use wifi.
Eldest daughter got a P/T job and bought phone on contract, 'sold' her other phone to us and we changed the screen, replaced the battery and gave to another child as a birthday gift etc etc.
We also need to get the two younger ones phones this year as it's a new school, much further away and I need to contact them, same deal, this is what we will buy you, you pay for your own credit with extra chores and if you want a better phone you pay the difference.
I still think we are spoiling them!!! ...but they have manners and know how to behave on the upside, on the downside, it doesn't seem to make them any more careful, even when they are having to replace their own screens from dropping them! (Or if we replace them it is generally a birthday gift with a movie ticket for them and a friend to soften the deal!)
It is tough for parents trying to keep a balance, and keep up with the way the world is going.

Investor, my advice would be to decide what you are prepared to do and let your daughter meet you some of the way. You could say you were prepared to get her an 8gb but are going to a 16gb because of recent events but if she wants 32gb she does xyz to make up the difference (part cash/part chores) and do a deal on phone credit. I personally prefer the tel-stra pre paid set ups, they are good value and more reliable coverage if that is an issue.

Some schools require kids in the lower grades (i.e. Year 4 and up) to have iPads :eek:

Mine, Have BYOT (bring your own technology) at their current school. A bit better than a private boys school here in Brissy where my friends kids have to rent the tablet preloaded with books...costs a fortune and breakages/losses etc must be fully covered. Several hundred $100's per annum...:eek:

You could say you were prepared to get her an 8gb but are going to a 16gb because of recent events but if she wants 32gb

Thats one of many things I hate about apple all that money to purchase and no expansion slot ( and probably no usb otg either)
How technologically backward is that?

I personally prefer the tel-stra pre paid set ups, they are good value and more reliable coverage if that is an issue.
Aldi uses telstra's network and its a fraction of the cost

Yes, technology explosion in past 5 yrs! I was talking to a guy recently with 4 kids that required iPads in primary school, he said he just couldn't afford it and thankfully moved house and changed schools. My sons high school next year is considering compulsary bring your own IPad so bit the bullet and got him an iPad for 12th bday last week.

Technology (iPhones/smart phones/iPads/tablets blah blah) is now the way of the world, I don't particularly like it but with teens, I have to put up with it.
My kids MUST have a laptop or tablet for ebooks for school. (School rules)The licence for the ebooks lasts 12mths and is only about $15 dollar cheaper than the book itself in some cases, I suspect eventually this will come down when they figure out what to do with all the businesses that print these school books (and constantly bring out new editions with bugger all updates to keep the money coming in but that's a different topic...sorry!)

We were prepared to buy a dell or equiv. one daughter wanted a mac book, we made her pay the difference and it was her Xmas gift, yep, I am that miserable!

The next daughter was happy with the standard laptop as she wanted to hang onto her money. Also a Xmas gift. As are 10 professional driving lessons. Heck if we are giving up 70hrs of our time to teach them driving, it is more a gift for us but hey, thems the breaks!,

The next two will have to have them next year and same deal.
They get pocket money. Some of their chores are compulsory, they are part of the family after all but they can earn extra for extra jobs. They buy their own credit with those jobs or go without and use wifi.
Eldest daughter got a P/T job and bought phone on contract, 'sold' her other phone to us and we changed the screen, replaced the battery and gave to another child as a birthday gift etc etc.
We also need to get the two younger ones phones this year as it's a new school, much further away and I need to contact them, same deal, this is what we will buy you, you pay for your own credit with extra chores and if you want a better phone you pay the difference.
I still think we are spoiling them!!! ...but they have manners and know how to behave on the upside, on the downside, it doesn't seem to make them any more careful, even when they are having to replace their own screens from dropping them! (Or if we replace them it is generally a birthday gift with a movie ticket for them and a friend to soften the deal!)
It is tough for parents trying to keep a balance, and keep up with the way the world is going.

Investor, my advice would be to decide what you are prepared to do and let your daughter meet you some of the way. You could say you were prepared to get her an 8gb but are going to a 16gb because of recent events but if she wants 32gb she does xyz to make up the difference (part cash/part chores) and do a deal on phone credit. I personally prefer the tel-stra pre paid set ups, they are good value and more reliable coverage if that is an issue.
some good idea's, thanks, my daughter was just asking yesterday if she could do extra chores and earn a bit of extra income.

I wish my kids had had iBooks available.

It would have saved so many extremely heavy school bags.
true! My daughter was telling me she just downloaded the Math textbook after she asked teacher for help

Off topic but aldi are actually pretty close to opening up in Perth. Theyre planning 70 stores, already have a distribution centre site and have planning approval for their first 3 or 4 sites.
yay! That's great news, will look into more. I remember reading about 14 months ago they had plans to be here in two years but hadn't seen any other news. Will look it up!

Back