new lock, broken tap then want door latch

Hi all I have a tenant who has been residing in the IP for just a month.

First she requested a security door replaced as it wasnt locking but then this was stated in the condition report. I want to be a nice landlord so I get it done.

Then yesterday she told me the knob for the kicken sink is not turning the thing inside so there is no hot water available for her to wash dishes, the cold water knob is fine. I have been living in that property for half yr before renting it out and everything is good. Do I have to repair everything she mishandled?

Today another call asking me to install door latch on both entry and back door as she feels like there are someone trying to break in..........
I am just wondering do I have to do it for her?? since I thought she accepts the condition of the property as it was when she signed the condition report.

Thx for all your experience

You are required to ensure the premises is reasonably secure, adding an extra door latch probably extends beyond that so you can be nice and do it, go halves with the tenant for it, or make them pay and require that the latch be left behind when they vacate or the door is otherwise repaired to the original condition.

As for the tap good luck proving it was damage and not just normal wear and tear, I think for the minimal cost involved you are better off just getting it repaired without fuss.

First she requested a security door replaced as it wasnt locking but then this was stated in the condition report.
As a LL you have a common law obligation to make sure the property can be secured. The tenant is pefectly within their rights to expect a security door can be locked.

Then yesterday she told me the knob for the kicken sink is not turning the thing inside so there is no hot water available for her to wash dishes, the cold water knob is fine. I have been living in that property for half yr before renting it out and everything is good. Do I have to repair everything she mishandled?
You don't know that it was mishandled. You need to fix this and you need to allow a budget for repairs to the property to cover things like this.

Today another call asking me to install door latch on both entry and back door as she feels like there are someone trying to break in..........
I am just wondering do I have to do it for her?? since I thought she accepts the condition of the property as it was when she signed the condition report.
No, you do not have to do this for her. It was not there when she inspected it. You cannot be expected to install it now. However, if the security door was attended to before now, then perhaps this request may never have come :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It is the landlord's obligation to ensure the property is secure, and in good repair.

These little repairs sound like something an owner will put up with, but a tenant is entitled to have repaired. It is far more economical in the long run to attend to repairs as the need arises.
Marg

thx for all the replys

I actaully agreed and got it fixed all quite promptly within a week but then its just a month and there were already several requests so I was like how many more:rolleyes: anyway I have to be nice landlord by law:cool:

I actaully agreed and got it fixed all quite promptly within a week but then its just a month and there were already several requests so I was like how many more:rolleyes:
I wouldn't necessarily worry about this. Right after they move in is when they're most likely to notice "niggling little things" which an owner might tolerate but a tenant doesn't have to, and I suspect that the number of requests will drop off.

As others have said, two of the three requests you're obliged to attend to, and I'm not sure about the third, it would depend what kind of locks exist already (ie we don't have enough information). The property must be able to be secured, regardless of the security at the time of letting. So even if you were happy to sleep in a house with no locking doors, that's fine, but it doesn't mean your tenant has to, even if it was like that when they leased it.

You have entered into a contract with your tenant. You have expectation of them and they of you. They pay rent promptly and you make necessary repairs promptly.

It isn't about being nice and doing things for her.

I don't think that you have a landlord's mindset. This is not unusual where a PPOR is being rented out for the first time. You feel an attachment to the property and maybe that you are letting someone use your home. Things were good enough for you and so they should be good enough for the tenant?

Time and experience should help this become a more businesslike relationship. If it doesn't then maybe being a landlord is not what you are best at. This is supposed to be easy - no point making it harder than it need be.

As the others say - attend to the little things promptly and try not to take it personally.

Back