New Motorbike

I need a treat, not that I deserve one at all, but I have rationalised that buying a new bike would be therapeutic. My current Ducati SS is unregistered and unloved, after we had a falling out some years ago.

I have been a Ducati man for as long as I remember, which means I'm also getting a bit old to sit on one for more than 10 mins, the hips and knees just won't do it. I'm not into cruisers such as Harleys, or really quick Japanese bikes, just a little style and character.

Any suggestions ? The Guzzi V7 does look interesting...

Check out some of the naked bikes around these days. I went from a Fireblade to a KTM Superduke around 4 years ago, my back thanks me for it every day. Much more comfy and still wicked fun. Ducati have the streetfighter, theres a newish one from Husky Nuda which i think has a BMW motor in it. Aprillia Tuono V4, MV Augusta brutale, Triumph Speed triples etc.

They're a good step away from a pure sports bike into something that's still just as fun but a bit more forgiving on the body.

I've got a Street Triple R and can't recommend it enough. Rides like a dream, it's nice and upright and still has plenty of punch.

Mr Angel suggests the V7 will be comfortable but not as powerful as some bikes. Best thing is to take one for a ride to judge for yourself. He said you can do a lot worse. Guzzis are cheaper to service than Ducatis, cheaper too on tyres. He said the Brevas are easy on the hips.

I've had a Yamaha MT01 for a few years and it's a great bike. It's got character, style and oodles of torque. They've whacked a cruiser engine into an sports/naked frame and it works really well. Low revving, upright sitting position, wide comfortable seat (not cruiser wide), an smooth, easy ride for commuting as well as through the hills & don't let the engine size put you off, it's a very easily handled ride. Can recommend for your pleasure :)

But if seating position, etc is going to be a large factor for comfort then I would recommend getting onto some of the above recommended bikes for 15-20 minute rides and see how it feels...

Since you like Ducatis, I recommend you test ride the multiple riding personality Multistrada 1200., which has an excellent balance of performance, comfort and utility.

Ducati S4R (Testastretta version) owner here.... wouldn't give it up for anything!

130hp naked bike in stock trim (mine is over 140hp with full Termignoni race pipe & computer setup) that I've had over 260 kmh at the Phillip Island MotoGP track.... remember, no fairing! Mon-Fri it is my "workhorse"... seriously. :D

Twins have a power delivery more amicable to road conditions IMHO. Lot's of torque and no need to maintain the high RPMs required when riding 4's.

If I was considering a more "gentleman" friendly ride, I'd be looking seriously at the BMW range... ;)

Thanks for the feedback :) I've added the Street Triple and the Aprilia Shiver to the list. Don't really care about the horsepower, just nice ride and feel and a bit of style. Having said that, the Monster 696 might just be a bit gutless. Budget excludes the bigger bikes.

I'll try and get some test rides in the next few weeks and post some feedback.

If you're looking at the Guzzis, there's the Griso, Stelvio and a new California on the way. They're a bit bigger than the V7, and have a bit more poke.

The Diavel is a more upright Ducati, and people seem to like it. There's also a new Hypermotard or something, which has a positive buzz.

Lastly, the BMW R1200R is an upright bike, and better on the road than the GS that everyone seems to own.

You wanted style and character?
Deus ex machina in Parramatta Rd opposite Sydney Uni.
Custom bikes with love and grunt.
Check out the website.
Coffee next door isn't bad either.

Thanks for the feedback :) I've added the Street Triple and the Aprilia Shiver to the list. Don't really care about the horsepower, just nice ride and feel and a bit of style. Having said that, the Monster 696 might just be a bit gutless. Budget excludes the bigger bikes.

I'll try and get some test rides in the next few weeks and post some feedback.

I really didn't enjoy the Monster when I test road it - felt very fat in between the thighs and felt clumsy when maneuvering.

I absolutely LOVED the Daytona 650 (but it's not an upright seating position) and after that favorite test rides were:
Aprilia Shiver
Yamaha FZ8 (super, super comfy!)
Honda VFR800 - ended up getting this. Comfortable enough for touring 600km over a long weekend, with enough zip and power for Sydney commuting. Plus it's a Honda, so would be a nice change in reliability from the Ducati. ;)

Here's my girl.

Attachments

• VFR800 bridge.jpg
    VFR800 bridge.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I absolutely LOVED the Daytona 650 (but it's not an upright seating position)
Here's my girl.

Did you know that the Street Triple is basically a naked Daytona 675 (2006-)? My ST even has 'Daytona' on the engine plate.

Great pic, btw.

Back