new oven for IP - scary reviews

Hi all, I have a IP that needs a new wall oven and a new cooktop. It isn't a fancy house, so I want to buy closer to the budget end (about $600 for each). The problem is, the reviews for new cheapish but not super-budget (think Bunnings) ovens on productreview.com.au are for the most part appalling ! Everything from exploding glass, uneven heating, doors that don't shut, knobs that fall off, poor service under warranty, etc etc. I know product reviews tend to attract the angry customers, but I have never seen a product category with so many negative views.
So... I was wondering if any landlords can tell me the brands they use or don't use. Any help would be much appreciated, as at this point I am almost to scared to buy anything that isn't a Smeg or Meile.
Cheers, Ali

I purchased a Lofra a couple years back - it's a budget line from the good guys. No complaints so far.

Cheers

Jamie

I called a chap who did repairs on ovens when I was looking for one a year or so ago. He told me he would buy (I think) Bosch oven, and maybe another brand. He rarely gets them to fix.

I'll see if I can dig up the email to confirm but you could call a couple of service companies who cover different brands and ask them the question of "what is a good reliable oven that you don't have to repair much?" and see what they say.

If I can find the email (I know I filed it somewhere safe :eek:) I'll come back and update this post.

Edit: Still looking for the old email but found "jcappliances" on ebay who purchased an appliance from us a while back which he would have fixed and onsold. He has lots of different brands and would be a good person to ask.

I called a chap who did repairs on ovens when I was looking for one a year or so ago. He told me he would buy (I think) Bosch oven, and maybe another brand. He rarely gets them to fix.

What if no one buys Bosch because they're known to be rubbish, so that's why there's less of them to fix? :p I kid, just playing devil's advocate haha.

As above but I go to 2nds world for brand new stuff. Just bought a 60cm Westinghouse with excellent reviews from Choice - cost $639 or something then another $150 for the delivery, fitting and removal of old oven.
Bought a Bosch cooktop from there too. Best value. Couldn't do better elsewhere.

I'm sure we're all savvy enough, but just a reminder to keep receipt of all renovations if you plan on doing a depreciation schedule or in the future.

Or if a schedule's already been done, try contacting your original provided to ask if they can amend it.

Hi all, thanks heaps for the replies. Wylie, Great idea to ring the appliance repair people to see what they do and don't have to fix! I'm going to do that today. Thanks for the other tips - I also do like seconds world -2ndsworld.com.au - because sometimes you can get new products at a good discount. Wattleido, I'll read the choice article also, so thanks.
Cheers, Ali

Hi all, thanks heaps for the replies. Wylie, Great idea to ring the appliance repair people to see what they do and don't have to fix! I'm going to do that today. Thanks for the other tips - I also do like seconds world -2ndsworld.com.au - because sometimes you can get new products at a good discount. Wattleido, I'll read the choice article also, so thanks.
Cheers, Ali

Was it a free standing natural gas stove? Can you please share the model because I'm after one now but can't access Choice.

No, not free-standing. Electric. It's a 60cm but there are bigger. It's this one I think.
Westinghouse POR663S
It's either this one or the tougher sister. Stainless steel, 80 litre capacity. Has knobs instead of digital for my particularly clutzy tenant. Easy to clean for my cleaning-challenged tenant.
Very popular.

Was it a free standing natural gas stove? Can you please share the model because I'm after one now but can't access Choice. This one looks good for $939:
http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/freestanding-chef-gas-oven-stove-cfg517wa/

It's a wall / fitted oven and electric. Yeah this one looks ok. I nearly bought a similar one from Appliances On-line a few months ago (different property) but because of the PM's mix-up, the handyman had already put in one which I had said was too expensive. Ended up getting the whole thing for a few hundred cheaper. You might be better off seeing what the property manager's handyman can come up with.

Last edited:
Back