New PC monitor

Hoping one of the IT experts can help.

Am in the process of upgrading my PC. Getting rid of my Fred Flintstone era model.

Wil be taking delivery of new tower (is that the correct term?), keyboard etc next week.

Went out and bought new monitor today and thought I'd hook it up to my old system just to try it out.

Heres where the problem starts.

MY SCREEN IS GREEN!!!!!!

I've had a look at instructions but can't seem to find any instructions re this problem.

Could it be anything to do with configuration?

Hope someone can help point me in the right direction before I go blind trying to use this screen.

Regards
Marty

What type is it? Whats the trouble shooting say?
Hey Rick.

It's an LG 22 inch (is that all you need to know?)

Can't find anything in trouble shooting re "green screen".

Just realised I probably have to install the 'display driver' (haven't done this yet). Would that have any bearing? If I install it on this system (Windows 2000), will that have any effect when I have to install it on new system (Windows Vista)?

Regards
Marty

If it came with drivers to be installed and you havent installed then yes that will be your problem.

Just install drivers on new tower if you have the same problem.

Ok, have installed driver, but still have green screen. Very frustrating.

Why don't they make things that you can just plug in and voila, it works :(

Regards
Marty

Marty
something is wrong mate
Is it green during booting up as well?
i.e before it loads windows?
Is the text of the boot up screen black?
Go into the mainboard setup screen (by pressing the del button before windows starts) and see if the colours are correct

Marty
something is wrong mate
Is it green during booting up as well?
i.e before it loads windows?
Is the text of the boot up screen black?
Go into the mainboard setup screen (by pressing the del button before windows starts) and see if the colours are correct
Hey Ziggy.

Is green all the way through, i.e, before bootup and after.

Regards
Marty

Is it blank green or shades of green (so you can still see the picture)? The latter indicates to me a hardware issue... loose plugs can cause colours to drop out.

If it's just a wall of green, no text, then I'd say it's a driver (software) issue.

Ok, have installed driver, but still have green screen. Very frustrating.

Why don't they make things that you can just plug in and voila, it works :(

Regards
Marty

I know there are plenty of techies here but I was under the impression you didnt need a driver for the screen to work. How did you install the driver with a green screen?

Whem you turn the PC on it should go thru the POST (Power On Self Test) stuff and all that text mumbo jumbo comes up. Even if there was a driver installed or a faulty one it hasnt even loaded up yet so the screen should display fine.

I'd first check your instructions again, then I'd try a new D-Sub or DVI cable (which ever your using).

If you have both D-Sub and DVI connection on your video card and new screen use the one that worked with your old screen. Assuming your still using your old tower.
It sounds like a hardware problem to me rather than a software problem.
If your getting the POST text coming up on screen and then when windows loads up your screen goes green then I'd look at drivers.

It sounds like a hardware problem to me rather than a software problem.
Agree, I'd check the cabling.
Is the cable plugged in properly and the pins not bent?
Have you got different cable to try?
If all looks ok, take the monitor to a friend's PC and try it.
If it's ok on other PC's then it could be your cable or your graphics card.

I know there are plenty of techies here but I was under the impression you didnt need a driver for the screen to work. How did you install the driver with a green screen?

you don't. it's good to have it, because it allows the system to work better with it, and let's you use different tuning applications, but it is not a necessity, and it definitely should work without it

Yes.

Please tell me something.

Regards
Marty

Small world... My wife brought one today. It is still under warranty - I would be calling the people you purchased it form. Check manufacturers warranty contact. Could be hardware - video card or video cable. Might be what Strannik suggests - onboard colour Red Green Blue. There is a factory default reset somewhere.

loose plugs can cause colours to drop out.
How very very embarrassing :eek: :eek: :eek:.

ianvestor (among others) is a champion and I'm an idiot

Last night I turned PC off as I was too frustrated watching a green screen. I turn on PC this morning and check emails to find this response from Ian.

This was the problem folks. The D-Sub cable was not in tight enough.

Thank you all so much for your replies, it is greatly appreciated.

It's great to have colour again.

Regards
Marty

Back