New Post /Old Fart . Kidney Transplant Recipient(Still Alive)

undefined

HI FORUME PEOPLE FROM ALL AROUND!

Just wanting your humble opinions. :)

I went through life with out a breeze. Everything I wanted & set as Goals just happened.

Until KIDNEY Failure at 33yrs old. From a basic Flu Virus. :confused:

3 yrs on Dialysis. :eek: (Needles in your arm . Filter your blood, Basically keep you alive.) Could not even have a beer without being blouted & ready to be admitted to Renal Unit.

In 1997 I was SOOO fortunate to receive a kidney transplant. From someone I will Never Know.?

So Basically what I am asking has nothing to do with Property/Investing/ etc.

But Survival.

Would you be willing to donate a loved ones organs to someone Less Fortunate , if the situation occured ? Usully suddenly without warning??

Gee Cee

Still Kicking (& Giving Advise)undefined

Yes

For me or my loved ones (if their wishes do not contradict).

But no-one can have my gall bladder - already removed :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

My wife and I are organ donor's (marked on our drivers licence)

We Both have been blood donor’s for years and have registered our bone marrow type (an extra sample of blood is taken and tissue typed in case a patient can receive some of our bone marrow for an operation)

I think some people don't like talking about death and donation of organs with friends and relatives, but we see it as the ultimate way of helping people and a way for a part of us to live on.

Simon H

GC
Good to see you're alive and kicking after that experience. I'm a big believer in organ donation....I would donate my bits to my family if they needed it....

but I really don't think that they want my liver :D

Ecogirl :)

Ecogirl said:
GC
but I really don't think that they want my liver :D
Ecogirl :)
I can't think of any part of my body that's not well past it's use-by date either. LIver..... the worst!

I have never met GC but clearly I am happy that he benefitted by modern science and kind hearted donor/survivors. We all like a good news story. (re-reading that it sounds dismissive. It is heart felt)

I am reluctant to post a "bad news" story after this but I would not start a new thread BUT....

THE SYSTEM IS NO LONGER WORKING!

Today my brother-in-law was turned back for the second time for his bypass surgery. No bed. This is life threatening.

My son has also been told this week to go pay his own bills to correct an "umbiblical hernia" (sic) because the system could not look for two years. TWO bloody YEARS? His condition is near critical now. The doctors know that the status quo can't last but they cannot do anything UNTIL they are forced.

A million to one odds but his older brother had the same complaint a couple of years ago. It has taken three months for the medicos to believe us that we have been there before. BTW his (no1 son) op cost nothing because he presented to Concord in a seriousl condition.

What is clear is that only "life threatening" conditions (in the short term) are treated. It would be far too expensive to treat them sooner.

That's illogical to me.

GC, I hope you don't feel I have hijacked your forum.

Thommo

Hi
Answer is yes, to any of the family, but then my grand daughter wouldn't want used parts that old. :rolleyes:
Blood donor occassionaly (not often enough)

Well done Gee Cee. Survival is a good word. Progress on top of that is also good. :D
BTW. Many years ago there was a young bloke who used to work for me who caught a flu virus. He was sent to the doctors from work, and died shortly after he got home. The virus went straight to his heart. :mad:
As I said, survival is a good word.
jahn

Thommo said:
I can't think of any part of my body that's not well past it's use-by date either. LIver..... the worst!
How about your brain Thommo - it seems to have a few good years left in it :)

The situations with your brother-in-law & son sound pretty horrible. Maybe they should chase some media attention.

If Australian health systems can't cope now (which I think most people looking to build their own financial futures know), how are they going to go in twenty years time with so many baby boomers requiring more frequent and more intensive medical care!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Steady on there Acey, you could be talking about me in that last sentence. :rolleyes:
BTW Saw a white sports car with the number plate ACEY in Newcastle today.
Any connection :D
jahn

Tell me I'm wrong .. it's ok I'm married I have heard it before ;)

But even if you have said you want to be an organ doner on your drivers licence ... a family member can say no.

Is this an urban myth or is it true, and if it's true how far down the chain of family members does this go :(

Cheers

Phil

You Cannot speak when Ya Dead

:eek: Phil H

You are quite right.

Usually when decision has to be made family are under sudden news of losing love one.

Most organs come from people that have had strokes or have had serious accidents. They are on life support.

Family have to make the decision to turn off the machines.
Quite often Drs will not even ask if they are willing to give organs.

Other scenerio is that family may say NO. Even if the person wanted to donate.

THAT IS WHY PEOPLE NEED TO LET FAMILY KNOW THAT IS THEIR WISH SHOULD SOMETHING HAPPEN TO THEM.

That is also why number of organs donated is Australia is so low.

Although every second person you meet is signed up to donate. However families will often think Drs are pinching loved ones parts and say no.

Gee Cee

Back