New public holiday?

I heard Jeff Kennett on the radio this morning talk about why he was opposed to the idea of creating a new public holiday. He argued that it would create a loss of productivity at a time when unemployment is increasing, especially youth unemployment.

Being an employee, I'm usually all for public holidays (also not a great fan of Jeff), but I couldn't help thinking he has a point.

I'd be interested to know people's thoughts. How much does it affect small business?

Another lost day of work, but the same wage cost to employers. And for those who open during public holidays, skyrocketing penalty rates.

It's a significant impost on business and agree with the line of thought.

Of course he has a point, if an employer has to pay their employees for a day off or pay them penalty rates to work an extra public holiday they are going to be worse off than if the holiday wasn't introduced.
Personally as an employee I'd love another paid day off but in the bigger picture it would put extra, unnecessary strain on business', especially small business'.

What was the proposed holiday in celebration of?

Guess it depends on which side of the fence you are on whether you are in favour or not. This relates to Victoria only, a pre-grand final public holiday on the Friday before grand final.
Don't we already have another public holiday for a horse race about 6 weeks later!:)

I'd be open to a new public holiday. Especially in the 2nd half of the year which doesn't have very many. How about if Melbourne Cup was Aust wide instead of just Melbourne? Then we wouldn't wreck Kennett's productivity :p

They actually tried having Melbourne cup as a public holiday in the ACT - everyone whinged about missing the office parties (and downturn in business for caterers) they moved it forward about six weeks

They actually tried having Melbourne cup as a public holiday in the ACT - everyone whinged about missing the office parties (and downturn in business for caterers) they moved it forward about six weeks

And called it christmas?

Yep, it's this weekend. W've got two long weekends in a row.

It came in because the act govt was trying to make a point around the 2007 federal election and work choices. They made union picnic day a public holiday (Melb cup day). But then businesses whinged about the loss of catering work and the day got moved to the Sept school holidays.

Yep, it's this weekend. W've got two long weekends in a row.

It came in because the act govt was trying to make a point around the 2007 federal election and work choices. They made union picnic day a public holiday (Melb cup day). But then businesses whinged about the loss of catering work and the day got moved to the Sept school holidays.

Sounds like WA and the fact we celebrate Queens Birthday on Monday which ties in nicely with Royal Show starting today.

State Governments have a couple of outdated/esoteric public holidays they can play around with if they want to create a 'new' public holiday. Queens Birthday, and Labour Day (not sure which states still have this) come to mind.

Cue Bayview now
LOL! :D

Yep; y'all know what I'm gunna say on this.

On ABC radio on FRI, there was a bloke talking about we should have a Pub Hol for the GF weekend (in Vic)...and how good it will be for the economy and so forth and so on.

It is true that a variety of businesses will benefit from it.

The obvious ones will be restaurants and accommodation places, weekend destination areas, caravan parks, etc..

The grapevine news is that many restaurants are rethinking the whole Sunday/Public holiday thing due to the extra cost of wages versus possible extra turnover.

And there will be others which it will simply be another cost of labour for a day of no productivity.

A huge number of regional businesses will suffer.

The overall picture to consider is; if we - as as Country - are struggling to compete on the world scale due to higher production costs; can we afford another day of lessened productivity?

Employees love them, employers hate them (unless you are one of the above businesses which holiday makers might want to use - and in big numbers.)

For me; it would be good in one scenario because we could rent our house out for the entire Grand Final weekend and the rent would more than cover a trip away for us at the same time, but for the workshop it is just another day's wages down the drain.

Last edited:
My wife (who works in my office) mentioned it, I told her she wouldn't be getting a public holiday for GF weekend. :D

Personally I do enjoy public holidays, it's an opportunity to recharge a little. As an employer it's a day where I give my staff money for doing nothing. Overall I don't think we need another public holiday.

I do agree that it's a six month stretch between public holidays (in Vic). I wouldn't be adverse to giving up Easter Monday for a public holiday in August or September.

As I understand it, the proposal is an election promise by the Victorian Labor Party.

Back