New Stove for Tenants to Replace Faulty Stove

We have a stove in the house we are about to let out that came with the place when we purchased it 8 months ago. The stove was not included in the contract because it is faulty. It is a Westinghouse Freestyle 143 model and the elements will do strange things, usually they stay on high even when turned down low. From doing a search it seems it's a common problem with this model and it seems that if repaired it would happen again soon after. It's too bad as the stove looks quite new and works well besides this major dangerous problem.

We have managed to get by with it and worked out how to use it without burning our meals although it would be easy to burn the place down if you didn't know how to use it like we have.

So I wonder what we could do with this stove, do you think anyone would buy it?

What model stove could we buy that we can replace it with that won't cost too much?

Last edited:
We have managed to get by with it and worked out how to use it without burning our meals although it would be easy to burn the place down if you didn't know how to use it like we have.

If you cannot get it replaced under warranty (was it new eight months ago?) then just disable it and dump it. How would you feel if you sold it to someone? How would you feel if someone sold it to you?

So I wonder what we could do with this stove, do you think anyone would buy it?

What model stove could we buy that we can replace it with that won't cost too much?

Get your measurements and find one that fits (assuming it is fitted under bench) and choose the best value one that fits, but if it is going to be a rental, don't pay too much.

Please don't sell it if you know it is faulty.

Accidents involving electricity are usually nasty, and often fatal.

You should be able to get a basic upright stove around $600-$700. And for another $30 or so they will take the dangerous old one away.

If it is relatively new, it may pay to contact Westinghouse to see if it can be safely repaired.
Marg

I just Googled it and there are heaps of similar complaints, it may be worth calling the manufacturer to see if there has been a recall.

It appears to me that the problem is in the simmerstats and should be easy to change, or replace with a different brand control, (by a qualified person).:)

Something like this $589 Chef upright would do the job, providing it will fit the space:
http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/asps/type1.asp?type=electric+upright+stove
It's almost tenant proof - solid elements (so they can't get liquids into the electrical connections and corrode them, knobs at the front instead of the rear where they will melt and I don't think it has a griller!!
With those 3 elements (pardon the pun) you're on a winner for a rental property stove.

Get your measurements and find one that fits (assuming it is fitted under bench) and choose the best value one that fits, but if it is going to be a rental, don't pay too much.
it's not under a bench but the older white higher style. yes it's will be a rental and the house is nothing much so we don't want to spend too much.

Please don't sell it if you know it is faulty.

Accidents involving electricity are usually nasty, and often fatal.

You should be able to get a basic upright stove around $600-$700. And for another $30 or so they will take the dangerous old one away.

If it is relatively new, it may pay to contact Westinghouse to see if it can be safely repaired.
Marg
Yes we would not sell it and be sneaky, we were thinking of selling it to a shop that might want it to repair and sell again. We would make the buyer fully aware of the danger. It sounds like a good idea to contact Westinghouse, I might do that.

I just Googled it and there are heaps of similar complaints, it may be worth calling the manufacturer to see if there has been a recall.

It appears to me that the problem is in the simmerstats and should be easy to change, or replace with a different brand control, (by a qualified person).:)
maybe there is some hope to salvage it so I will look into these ideas, thanks.

Something like this $589 Chef upright would do the job, providing it will fit the space:
http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/asps/type1.asp?type=electric+upright+stove
It's almost tenant proof - solid elements (so they can't get liquids into the electrical connections and corrode them, knobs at the front instead of the rear where they will melt and I don't think it has a griller!!
With those 3 elements (pardon the pun) you're on a winner for a rental property stove.
Thanks Rob, if we buy a new one then this sounds like a good one to check out.

I repair stoves all the time (REC).

To supply and install four new simmerstats (assuming all four are faulty) for that stove will be approx $300-$400.

If all four are not regulating temperature, it could even be a faulty neutral connection to stats, easily fixed ($100-150).

If you like the condition of the stove, get a GOOD electrician/stove guy and get it fixed.

The new el cheapo $500-$600 stoves are very crappy.

I repair stoves all the time (REC).

To supply and install four new simmerstats (assuming all four are faulty) for that stove will be approx $300-$400.

If all four are not regulating temperature, it could even be a faulty neutral connection to stats, easily fixed ($100-150).

If you like the condition of the stove, get a GOOD electrician/stove guy and get it fixed.

The new el cheapo $500-$600 stoves are very crappy.
Thanks for you help units4me,

Apparently this model has the problem with nearly all the ones sold. I still have yet to ring Westinghouse as well.

So if it is needing new simmerstats or it's the faulty neutral connection to stats then would getting these fixed mean it will not happen anymore or will it be an ongoing problem?

I have replaced multiple simmerstats in this type of stove on numerous occasions. I never hear back, so I can only assume that it fixes the problem.

Buy New Stove or Repair Old Stove?

We got a quote to get it fixed as well as I rang Westinghouse. Westinghouse said they had not heard of any problems with my model but I said it's all over the Internet with so many people having the exact same problem, total denial! :rolleyes: They suggested it would be a the thermostat needs adusting or could send out servicemen and costly rates.

I decided to look in m local paper and the serviceman I found after calling several told me he was familiar with this problem in this stove. He said the controls (thermostat) would need replacing at $50, with labour charges etc. That sounded good until I realized I have to pay for the 4 + the grill thermostat, not just one. so anyway he offered to do it discounted at $300 including G.S.T with one month warranty on labour and 1 year on parts.

I have also contacted The website of the stove that Rob linked to above and I'm awaiting to get a price for the delivery charges. I have no idea what the delivery charge will cost but it looks quite serious as I had to request a quote :(

So I'm just going to guess it will cost $50 to $100 for delivery and that will take the price up over $650 to $700 for a new stove as opposed to $300 for the repair.

The guy who would repair the stove said he will also help me change a light switch for free although he doesn't do this normally and I have to buy the switch. That could save me hiring an electrician to come out, that could cost $50+ for that alone.

Anyway It would be nice to have a new stove with all new parts and I might be able to request a little higher rent of $10 per week so it could pay for itself in just over a year.

Anyway, I would be interested to know what you members would do in our situation, would you buy the new stove for go with the repair?

I would probably buy new, get a warranty, and avoid any problems down the track.

I would not think a tenant would pay any more for a new stove.

So I'm just going to guess it will cost $50 to $100 for delivery and that will take the price up over $650 to $700 for a new stove as opposed to $300 for the repair.

You'll still need the electrican to disconnect the old stove and connect the new one.

the other day I bought a near new 2nd hand 1 from ebay @ half price

that might be an idea, I did consider Ebay or looking at auctions etc.

So I guess I could get an electrician to hook it up and also fix my light, I hope it doesn't cost too much.

So I'm leaning towards the new or Ebay stove now, thanks for the feedback.

Had to replace a stove in my Hedland property a couple of weeks back, pretty hard from Brisbane self managing.....lol. Called the local Retravision store as I found a flyer on the web listing the current specials, ordered and payed for it over the phone and delivered that arvo. For $90 extra I took out the extended warranty so I now hopefully have 5 yrs troublefree on the stove. Even better, my tenant (company) got their sparky to install it since the local sparkies are so busy. All done the day after it was delivered.
As a side note, seems the previous owner had made himself very hard to contact for the tenant, didnt return calls etc. Still, makes a good impression for me I hope.

We ended up ordering one of these but used PricePirate as it was cheaper $550 and we paid $50 for delivery, will be here on Monday.

Had to replace a stove in my Hedland property a couple of weeks back, pretty hard from Brisbane self managing.....lol. Called the local Retravision store as I found a flyer on the web listing the current specials, ordered and payed for it over the phone and delivered that arvo. For $90 extra I took out the extended warranty so I now hopefully have 5 yrs troublefree on the stove. Even better, my tenant (company) got their sparky to install it since the local sparkies are so busy. All done the day after it was delivered.
As a side note, seems the previous owner had made himself very hard to contact for the tenant, didnt return calls etc. Still, makes a good impression for me I hope.
Not a bad idea to get the 5 year warranty but I think most stoves should last for 6 - 7 years at least

Back