New tenant requests lots of maintenence... help?

Hi guys
a Tenant in IP has listed a lot of things they want doing, what do should I do? what do I have to do? Its a long post but your feedback is much appreciated

Install an air con they own - they want me to install it? - I asked for all the air con details etc and what the "deal" would be

Glass door in shower - its a glass cube, but they say the door "is sitting on the wedge just waiting to smash"

Washing machine connections in laundry are to close to the tiling to connect the washing machine - this has never been an issue before?

There is no washing line - thats no surprise there never has been? Washing has been in the past done on a washing rope under the verandah

Front door deadbolt - there is just a deadbolt and they are saying its to hard to hold the door and lock it (there isnt a handle, but you can hold it back with the key)

Front door screen - the lock doesnt lock properly - but it never has?

Front door has a slight gap (couple of mm) between the door and the frame, which they say "would open if someone kicked the door in and it lets bugs and allsorts in"

Back sliding door - they say can be opened with a butter knife, and if you tug on the locked door it pulls on the frame thats connected to the bricks and it needs to be fixed. THis glass door only opens about 3/4s of the way and she wants it replaced?

Fly screen sliding door has a tear on the edge and wants it replaced

Back laundry door has a gap under the door and the lock isnt adequate (similar to bathroom lock)

Laundry window lock isnt adequate?

Missing "Fly screens" on some windows

She doesnt feel like its a "safe house and not feeling comforateble that anyone can break in" She also has a dig that the house wasnt clean, cobwebs and dead bugs... even though the place was professionally cleaned only weeks before hand.

Now I'm quite diplomatic, and happy to comply what needs to be done - but I feel she is "taking the ****" and is a bit pedantic... I feel she should have mentioned these things before she applied for the property. What should I do - what needs to be done?

Thanks in advance, I'm a bit overwealmed. I thought the PM would have gone through the property to flag any of these things at hand over?

Feeback greatly recieved!

Offer to let her out of the lease if she thinks the house is too unsafe and find yourself a new tenant.

That really is quite a list. Some of the things should maybe be done, but the amount of things mentioned that are quite petty to say the least, is unreasonable, IMHO.

Asking you to install their aircon?? Did they even ask if they could get and aircon installed?? I would be saying that you will LET them install an air con PROFESSIONALLY at their expense, provided they leave it there when they move on. But then I can be quite petty when people tick me off...

Two ways this can go in my view:
1) They knew the condition when they signed the lease (they DID sign a lease, didn't they?!) - tough, live with it.
2) Be careful that you don't open yourself to legal issues. Technically, now that they've alerted you to these issues, if "something" happens because they're not attended to, you may be liable! :eek:

Sorry that's not too constructive, but you could have a nightmare tenant on your hands. Or they could be model tenants once you attend to the things that need attending to, and set the record straight on those that don't. (Mr. Ambivalent here!)

I agree with rugrat in relation to the AC..they can pay for it to be professionally installed and leave it there when they leave or you install the AC and increase the rent to reflect a property with AC.

In relation to the other repairs they sounds like general maintenance issues that should be the responsibility of the landlord/owner anyway. Keeps your IP in top shape/condition to minimise vacancies, minimise maint costs and maximise rental income.

If you keep your IP in bad state of repair, the lower rent required to attract a tenant, will effectively attract the wrong type anyway.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Her main issue seems to be with security,

Obviously you need to make sure the house is lockable,

She wants you to install the Air conditioner ,well give her a phone number of an installer at her cost.

They will probably take it when they leave anyway,so don't give in to much:(

If she cant use her washing machine,then she doesn't need a clothes line :D

they sound like a real pain in the ***, this is bread into some folks , this won't change,
dear madam , we are in the understanding that you are not compleatly satisfied with your product,we are happy to advise to you you have four weeks to vacate this unsatisfactory home, so that you may find somthing more suitable to your liking.

p.s **** of winger!:D

See what you can negotiate in relation to the air conditioner if they are willing to keep it there after they move out. if not then my answer would be no.

Out of curiosity on all the things that you mention that, that is how it was and they should have noticed them before they moved in, most of them seem like very minor things like locks/torn fly screen/ no lock/no flyscreen/gap under door etc etc. If you lived in this place prior did you not notice these things, do you know a handyman as most of these things you mention are $10 - $25 fixes each. This may be why you have got these people as tenants as other prospective tenants may have also noticed them and did not apply. Not being too enquisitive I just question why you would not have fixed them as all are 100% deductable in the first year

thanks for the replies guys... we all seem to be on the same wavelength, I feel a bit more confident

Air con isnt really an issue, I asked the logical q's when the PM asked the other day. Its just this is the reply I got - 100 other requests.... also got asked that I can buy her dads hills washing line.... lol

I'm replying back, stating each point (I was sent it in letter form) and to quote on all repairs if its easy enough, but tell me what *needs* to be done and what she "wants" done.

I finished it off by saying if she wants to have a go at this "unsafe" "unclean" house we can "negotiate an early termination".... (I'm personally offended by this seen i spent over $800 getting the place cleaned and tidy'd and another $600 on maintenence.. by professionals......before I put the place up for lease!)

Bloody hell, I will do what needs to be done but she is just pulling the pis!

I finished it off by saying if she wants to have a go at this "unsafe" "unclean" house we can "negotiate an early termination".... (I'm personally offended by this seen i spent over $800 getting the place cleaned and tidy'd and another $600 on maintenence.. by professionals......before I put the place up for lease!)

Dont take it personally - the tenant doesnt know you. Expenses are a part of business/investing and shouldnt become emotional. If it is then try and keep focussed on the big picture as to why you have the IP and not on the day to issues that are always going to pop up along the way.

Just out of curiosity: How old is the property? How long have you had it? Is it a house, villa , townhouse etc? Where abouts is it? What's the weekly rent?

Offer to let her out of the lease if she thinks the house is too unsafe and find yourself a new tenant.

Is it really that easy??? Can one actually do this??

How do you legally word this....
dear madam , we are in the understanding that you are not compleatly satisfied with your product,we are happy to advise to you you have four weeks to vacate this unsatisfactory home, so that you may find somthing more suitable to you
?????????????

I had a demanding tenant like this. She was a nightmare from day 1. She hadn't signed the lease, but it was against the law to kick her out regardless or come up up with some sort of excuse anyway. Kinda sucks hey?

I ended up servicing all of her requests over the months and as soon as the 12 month period approached, I kicked her out. From memory, if you give them 30 or 60 days notice, you don't have to give them a reason. You should have seen them beg and grovel to stay. I felt kinda sorry for her, but I had had enough. 2 years later, 2 different tenants, haven't heard boo.

I hate to say it, but your hands are tied. I don't think there's much you can do apart from starting at the top of the list and working your way through it till you get to the end.

my new tenant infomred 2 light sockets are damaged, the lights blew and now new ones won't work, in the kitchen and somewhere else. Also a drain they complained about late November but has not decloffed. New build, they're the frist tenants. And that was me introducing myelf as a follow up to the letter I posted Friday infroming them we wont need t deal through the pm from no on.

I'm guesssing I call the builder first (?) or do I just stump up for tradies

Tough call redfox. They do sound like the type that wants more, even though some things obviously could be done, but the feeling I'm guessing you get is you dont want to open a can of worms by doing the right things and have them come at you wiht more & more of the unreasonable requests.

Anything on the list that NEEDS doing to protect your IP or make it safe needs to be done.

Anything else is simply their WANTS and you can tell them that the house is now secure and lockable and they can go whistle.

Hi guys
a Tenant in IP has listed a lot of things they want doing, what do should I do? what do I have to do? Its a long post but your feedback is much appreciated

Install an air con they own - they want me to install it? - I asked for all the air con details etc and what the "deal" would be

Glass door in shower - its a glass cube, but they say the door "is sitting on the wedge just waiting to smash"

Washing machine connections in laundry are to close to the tiling to connect the washing machine - this has never been an issue before?

There is no washing line - thats no surprise there never has been? Washing has been in the past done on a washing rope under the verandah

Front door deadbolt - there is just a deadbolt and they are saying its to hard to hold the door and lock it (there isnt a handle, but you can hold it back with the key)

Front door screen - the lock doesnt lock properly - but it never has?

Front door has a slight gap (couple of mm) between the door and the frame, which they say "would open if someone kicked the door in and it lets bugs and allsorts in"

Back sliding door - they say can be opened with a butter knife, and if you tug on the locked door it pulls on the frame thats connected to the bricks and it needs to be fixed. THis glass door only opens about 3/4s of the way and she wants it replaced?

Back laundry door has a gap under the door and the lock isnt adequate (similar to bathroom lock)

Laundry window lock isnt adequate?

Missing "Fly screens" on some windows

She doesnt feel like its a "safe house and not feeling comforateble that anyone can break in" She also has a dig that the house wasnt clean, cobwebs and dead bugs... even though the place was professionally cleaned only weeks before hand.

Now I'm quite diplomatic, and happy to comply what needs to be done - but I feel she is "taking the ****" and is a bit pedantic... I feel she should have mentioned these things before she applied for the property. What should I do - what needs to be done?

Thanks in advance, I'm a bit overwealmed. I thought the PM would have gone through the property to flag any of these things at hand over?

Feeback greatly recieved!

1. Airconditioner - check that a/c is a quality brand name and how old it is first. IF a quality brand suggest you tell her she can have it installed by a qualified person at her own expense and it will have to stay as part of the house when she leaves (my son paid a mate to install an airconditioner in the last house he rented).

Alternative she can by a portable a/c.

2. Glass in shower - get PM to check this and fix if needed, ask PM to get 3 quotes first [Handyman may be able to adjust this].

Alternative remove door and put in shower curtain - I wouldn't if I was you go down this track.

3. Taps in Laundry get PM to check this - can PM attach washing machine taps? What is she doing that she needs to attach and unattach taps.

4. Clothes line - buy one and have it installed. No: I wouldn't buy

5. Dead bolt - get her a handle.

Alternative - maintenance required to dead bolt to make it easier to lock

6. Front fly screen - maintenance & security issue - get it fixed

Alternative if front flyscreen door is a cheap version - get quotes and install a safety screen as cheaper than a security screen and tenant most likely will not notice difference.

7. Gap around front door - ask PM to check.

Alternative - safety screen may fix bug problem.

8. Back sliding door - maintenance & security issue - get it fixed.

9. Back laundry door has a gap under the door and the lock isn't adequate (similar to bathroom lock)

Get PM to check lock (to see if comparable to other IP back door locks) - you could possible install a weather strip on backdoor.

10. Laundry window lock isn't adequate? Get PM to check lock (to see if comparable to other IP laundry window locks)

11. Missing "Fly screens" on some windows. Personally I would install the missing flyscreens.

I'm a bit overwealmed. Yes it can all be overwealming!

ACTION PLAN
a) Arrange PM to visit house to inspect problems and let you know whether they are an 'urgent need' to be repaired or a tenant request to improve their comfort and security.

b) Bear in mind when some inspects a property not all faults are found by PM as they don't live int he property and some tenants comfort needs are higher and some tenants have a family member of friend who attends to small maintenance issues without bothering to worry PM etc.

c) Ask PM to ask tenant is she unhappy with the property and looking to move?

d) After discussing with PM the problems he or she sees that need to be attended, instruct PM to send the person they use as a Miantenance/Handyman around to the house with a list of agreed items for a quote on getting all of these things fixed.

e) After getting quote - talk to Handyman & then make you decision.

Personally, I would get most of the issues for security & comfort attended to promptly except the airconditioner THAT can wait till next financial year after you get your refund and after you have raised the rent.

f) Experience - is this tenant looking after your IP house & yard eg. clean and tidy on inspections.

Kind Regards, Sheryn

I'd say to give them notice tovacate if legally possible. Meanwhile fix and change the things that suit you. Think of them as your home testers who paid for the privilege. Don't wait for their personality to change, take control and change the tenants. Otherwise you're leaving it to fate.

Oh She Sounds Like the One We Just Evicted !!!!

Dead serious ..... is she an older lady? Sweet as pie?? Butter wouldn't melt?? So nice until the keys are given, then her nasty alter ego appears???
She has taken a private rental but we were never rung for a reference ... and she goes by a couple of different names too! Message me if you want to compare notes. This sounds right up her alley! Not in the Perth Hills/East by any chance?

We too copped war and peace from our lovely difficult tenant, with everything from carpet not matching to dust to mysterious leaks, bugs, filth and stenches. Took a while, but we did finally get her to "move on", albeit with a heap of hard work and gritted teeth.

My experience and attitude would be this:

If it is a security concern, I would do it. If it is affecting her quiet and peaceful amenity, fix it. Aircon, nope ... especially if it was rented without aircon. Everything else not urgent or essential would be on a maintenance schedule and addressed.

These are the worst kind of tenants, those with very high standards and expect you to do everything for them, to make the place as they would if it was there own. These are the ones who think nothing of calling in a plumber or sparkie and then sending you the bill. And when you try to reign them in, they run to Tenancy Board and dob on you.

Ahhhh, the joys. Excuse my sarcasm, we had a very long six months last year.

These are the worst kind of tenants, those with very high standards and expect you to do everything for them

...and whilst you were going through this TSS, did you simply sit back and look at the big picture as previously advised ??

Of course you have to keep thinking of the big picture. These "fixes" are no biggie, low cost and don't affect the big picture.

They are just normal maintenance, which would need to be done if you have a tenant or if you live there yourself. Either way, it is hardly worth the sarcasm Dazz.

Back