New tenant wants carpet replaced

Ok. If you are happy with that.

It's a pity you have nothing in return for that.

And a pity the REA can't even address you as Mr Pudding ;-)

Too be honest, I don't think I'm 100% happy with that. I'm just don't know how I would go about asking for varied lease terms in exchange for carpet, or straight out saying tough luck the tenant should have negotiated this before signing.

And I am very glad that the rea didn't address me as a mr ;-)

Reply from RE agent today:

Hello Pudding,
Under the Terms and Conditions of the Lease, the Lessee is to repair, maintain and keep the premises in a good and tenantable state of repair and condition, however with the age and marks of the carpet, the Lessee has come to us requesting it be changed.
Understanding we don`t want to have large costs associated with us just leasing the property we have gone back to the Lessee asking that they get some quotes for the new carpet and would they be willing to split the cost 50 / 50 of having it replaced.* They have agreed to obtain the quotes and split the cost with you, the Lessor.
The floor coverings of the premises are an integral part of the building which will stay with the building should the Lessee vacate the premises in the future, and will be maintained by them until that time.

--end--

I think it would just be easier to agree to what the re agent is proposing, I was going to get new carpet put in once the place became vacant again anyway.

Thanks once again for the advice everyone!

Well.....I certainly would not be happy with that response from an Agent in a residential lease, but would be completely livid in a Commercial Lease.

I would be having a stern word with that Agent. They work for YOU, not for the Lessor! It is not their place to negotiate what you will & will not pay for unless you have given them the express authority to do so.

Any good commercial agent would have clearly advised the tenant that the carpet was in acceptable condition at the beginning of the lease and that they are now requesting a variation outside of agreed terms. How happy would they be if you starting making changes to your needs?

I still stand by the answer of no to the request and if the agent believes that is unreasonable, have them reimburse their leasing fees to the tenant as a contribution to the carpet.

An alternative if you are leaning towards agreeing to the request would be:

1. Personal guarantors to be added to the terms of lease.

2. Clause to be inserted: "if the tenant complies with all terms of the lease during the entire term of the initial lease then the landlord agrees to make a payment of $XX being 50% of the end of the term'.

Too be honest, I don't think I'm 100% happy with that. I'm just don't know how I would go about asking for varied lease terms in exchange for carpet, or straight out saying tough luck the tenant should have negotiated this before signing.

That's the advantage of email. It's much easier to write an email which says what you want politely, without being distracted by the other party trying to change your mind.

"I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with paying for carpet when the condition o the carpet was known when the lease was signed. If I do agree to paying for the carpet if like to suggest that the original lease term gets extended by one year (or the lessee provides a personal guarantee or whatever). Signed Rev. Dr. Pudding".

It's bad enough tenants think the LL are rich, even the PM thinks they are rich.

The carpet will be useless at the end of the lease, even if it is replaced.The next tenant will never like it.

Since the PM didn't follow instructions, let them pay for the 50% cost of the carpet. They offered on your behalf to pay, without even consulting you.

If you say yes to this, it will be never ending, until you start saying no.
You might as well have a residential lease.

I wouldn't agree to paying carpet cost in your example, however, if it were me and I was leaning towards a contribution it would be in the form of an equivalent "x" weeks free lease at the end of the lease term.

If tenant's business goes south and they don't make it to the end of the lease you don't pay, likewise, the agent doesn't get any fees for that period.

Yes, however if it is leased to a start-up, the odds of them surviving for more than 2 years are limited (95% of new business fail - or something like that). So....getting them to agree to a longer term might not be worth the paper it's written on.

OR.....maybe it was vacant because the previous owner wanted too much rent & the OP is more realistic and has set the rent at an affordable level that can attract new Business.

Either way, I would not spend money on something that had not already been agreed to. It is a Business Premises, so a Commercial Lease should be in place & they should have discussed the carpet prior to the signing of the Lease. Sounds to me of a Tenant that wants to get more out of the deal than the contract he signed. What's next? I want a new Air-Con, Paint, etc......

I say NO! Nip it in the bud now.

^^^^^^ Agree

Any good commercial agent would have clearly advised the tenant that the carpet was in acceptable condition at the beginning of the lease and that they are now requesting a variation outside of agreed terms. How happy would they be if you starting making changes to your needs?

Bingo!
The operative word here being 'good'.

Tell the PM it ain't happening. If they want new carpet to do it themselves.

Without knowing the more details, what's the story with the endless options?
As a commercial agent I would never (insert disclaimer) recommend a landlord accept 3x1year options, especially on a 2 year lease. It devalues your property and limits your options.

Pudding is the Lessor.

But he has to learn to be one.

The tenant is asking for a variation and the answer should be a clear no unless there is a clear and definable benefit to him.

An option is not a benefit.

As to the agent, it may be time to look for another.

In case anyone was interested in knowing the outcome, I will not be contributing towards new carpet. The lessee is aware that any improvements/maintenance is at their cost. Thanks to everyone for your valuable advice. On a side note, any recommendations on property mangers?;)

HRH Pudding:p

If we told our landlords we want carpet replaced, they would laugh us out of their office.

If any of my tenants ask me for a carpet, I would not do so and would happily not extend their lease when expiry comes.

My landlord recently tried to bill me for $40k air con fee that is part of their shopping centre, but he thought we were anchor tenants and so easy targets. I told him happy to see you in court.

Pudding,
I'm curious to what the PM said, when you informed them of this.

Hi Kathryn,
I emailed the PM basically what Geoffw suggested, and after about a week they called me letting me know that they have informed the lessee that maintenance and improvements are at their cost...

I'm thinking, why bother emailing me with the request if you knew that it was never gonna be my responsibility?!:mad:

Oh well, I've learnt to be a bit more assertive anyhow.

Back