New tenants re-let fee 1 weeks rent?

My tenants gave a months notice on my nsw IP. The pm found new tenants and charged a weeks re-let fee as per my contract with them. Is it normal that they also charge their usual commission in this first rental statement as well? Its kind of like a 'double dip' but I can see that its 2 different fees / reasons.

thanks for your opinion

Sounds normal from most PM I talked to?

I have one property manager that charge flat % (soon to be ex-PM), probably just coincidence, but this PM is not very motivated to get new tenant in

Example of my latest statement from another manager
Re-let commission: 1 week rent plus GST
Management fee: x% of weekly rent (on top of re-let fee)

This one is excellent - I've got no issue paying more.

Yes 1 weeks rent + GST is the norm these days for each new tenant. If I only sign a 6 mths lease, very rare, I normally only charge half a week.

You could try to get the weekly let fee reduced when signing up a new agent.
All but 1 of our IP's are 1/2 weeks rent, so if we do 5 or 6 new leases a year, that's a few grand saved.

I have a few that have rolled onto periodic leases (I must admit I am slack at following them up) and for one of them the property mangers couldn't get them to sign up for another 6 months (they didnt give a reason but were happy to stay) so they just sent them the notice of rent increase

but it made me wonder that most of the extra ten dollars a week is being eaten up each time by the weekly fee?

if you had good tenants and the pms think they want to stay, to minimise expenses what would be the issue of just letting periodic leases continue and increase as appropriate with market rent

The only issues I can see

-security of having a tenant (if tenants want to leave they generally do anyway) and the areas the properties are in I am not concerned about finding new tenants (bar one)
- insurance (my landlord insurance covers loss of rent etc until it is "tenantable again" regardless of lease.)

why else would you insist a new lease each time which absorbs your rent increase?

Knowing that you can terminate the tenancy upon 30 days notice at expiry rather than 90 days if they are periodic.

Thank you for that contribution

if they are good tenants though why would you want to give them notice..and have no intention to sell in the short term ie if wanted it vacant for sale

or am I being naive as I have never had a bad tenant (touch wood)

and I would say that sometimes good tenants can turn bad....

I have a few that have rolled onto periodic leases (I must admit I am slack at following them up) and for one of them the property mangers couldn't get them to sign up for another 6 months (they didnt give a reason but were happy to stay) so they just sent them the notice of rent increase

but it made me wonder that most of the extra ten dollars a week is being eaten up each time by the weekly fee?

if you had good tenants and the pms think they want to stay, to minimise expenses what would be the issue of just letting periodic leases continue and increase as appropriate with market rent

The only issues I can see

-security of having a tenant (if tenants want to leave they generally do anyway) and the areas the properties are in I am not concerned about finding new tenants (bar one)
- insurance (my landlord insurance covers loss of rent etc until it is "tenantable again" regardless of lease.)

why else would you insist a new lease each time which absorbs your rent increase?

It sounds like you're implying that the 'new tenant lease fee' (of one weeks rent + gst) is applied every time a new lease is issued to your current tenant?

If this is so I suggest that you find a new PM. This fee should only be charged when a new tenant is placed in your property by the PM.

It sounds like you're implying that the 'new tenant lease fee' (of one weeks rent + gst) is applied every time a new lease is issued to your current tenant?

If this is so I suggest that you find a new PM. This fee should only be charged when a new tenant is placed in your property by the PM.

I thought this was standard....are these conditions not the norm?

in SA fees seem to be higher some charge 11% (I am not exaggerating) mine is 8.8%
eg
but in SA for my pm it is 1 weeks rent for lease renewals

and my nsw their rate is quite cheap and I am happy with their service and is half a weeks rent for subsequent leases

next time I try to find a pm I am going to at least try to negotiate some of these points
thank you (always learning)

My tenants gave a months notice on my nsw IP. The pm found new tenants and charged a weeks re-let fee as per my contract with them. Is it normal that they also charge their usual commission in this first rental statement as well? Its kind of like a 'double dip' but I can see that its 2 different fees / reasons.

thanks for your opinion

Seems there are a lot of different things going on. My PM charges 1 week's rent+GST as a re-letting fee. However they do *not* collect any commission on the first week's rent - I guess the logic is because that wedge was not collected on my behalf.

for agencies that charge more then a lease prep fee, ie 1 weeks rent, I always put them on periodic,

if the tenant wants to break the lease, they will break it anyway

Some of the comments in this thread confused me a little. We have 2 situations. A) tenant vacates and a new tenant need to be found. B) A fixed term with an existing tenancy expires, and should or not a new fixed term be entered into.

While I appreciate that landlords look at the monthly management fee and then ask why is a letting fee also applied? We have tenancies where they have occupied for a long time in fact many years and others where the tenancy changes every 6 months. What are the contributing factors?

There is a lot of work involved in reletting to a new tenant. From starting with exit inspection/condition reports photographs etc, following up with the outgoing tenant of getting issues fixed/resolved, then viewings, receiving and vetting applications. Preparing paperwork (to comply with legislation) getting it signed up (which with the disclosure requirements takes time) and then doing bond transfer etc and then finally, reviewing the tenants returned "entry condition reports" comments.

With regard to renewal of a tenancy, yes the PM has to be abreast of "current value" of rents. How do they do that. Each day spend some research time. In QLD we have to come to agreement 60 days prior to expiry on the new rental. Which means we start the process 90 days out. Guess what they ignore us so we have to follow up and follow up etc. They don't see the need to respond until the fixed term is about to expire so the follow up is very time consuming when a LL insists on not having periodic tenancies.

I believe more and more agencies are including percentages of income into salary packages in the property management arena, so attract the best people they can. So give thought to chasing discounts when hiring a PM

ACE, I appreciate that agencies will consider reduced fees when you are a multiple owner, as there are efficiencies an agency enjoys and can then pass on. I tend to think that the LL and PM agency are is some respects forming a partnership. One provides one part, and the other another part. If one believes there is an imbalance then the outcome will not be to "both's" liking in the long run.

I have read in many threads on this forum, as an investor treat it like a business, which I agree with, however while I understand it may refer to remove as much "emotion" as possible, but I also believe it means paying for value. I am not saying that a higher price means better value, I believe most adults can distinguish between price and value.

To the OP, yes its 2 different jobs, and 2 different fees. Think about it, and I am sure you will understand.

Back