New to Melbourne

Hello All,

I have recently moved from Brisbane to Melbourne. I am looking at buying my first investment property. I like the idea of the Box Hill area as it is close to shops, transport, parks, hospitals, schooling and so on. I would be using my first home buyers grant so i will be living in the place for the first 6 months atleast. This is when i would (if i can afford) do alot of the renovations. I have not decided what to do after this time.

Would it be a good idea to look for a 2 Brm townhouse around the Box Hill area or should i pick another location. I am looking for property around the 350k mark.

Also anyone know some good real estate agents, in these areas.

Any other advice you would give a newbie >.>

Kindest regards,
William

Welcome to Melbourne. As you are new to Melbourne, perhaps you have fresh eyes, and can see past some of the stygmatised/ undervalued suburbs. I would look widely on the net first, and perhaps do a drive around to get a feel for the place.

Hi Big Will,

I personally wouldn't live in Box Hill. My mrs is Asian, but I'm not, so I feel like I don't really belong there. The upside of that is that it has lot's of cheap restaurants and no shortage of shops, parking can be a shocker though.

You'd probably have a pretty low vacancy rate for an IP there given the amount of international students attending Box Hill TAFE and Deakin Uni in Burwood.

There are some nice pockets of Box Hill, like Wattle Park and in and around Sweetland Rd and north of the hospital. I find the surrounding suburbs of Box Hill more attractive, such as Mont Albert, Laburnum & Blackburn. Laburnum is full of units and townhouses and has a similar look to Mont Albert.

I am looking at buying a unit in Mont Albert at the moment, have previously rented there with my girlfriend who at the time was an international student studying at Box Hill TAFE. A 2 bedroom unit in Mont Albert will set you back around $400k, but I'm thinking you could definately find something for $350k between Blackburn and Box Hill. I recently saw a 3 bedroom townhouse advertised in Box Hill very close to Laburnum station for $360k.

Hope this info helps.

Regards,
Glen.

Last edited:
Blackburn & Laburnum are terrific suburbs. A little further out are Nunawading and Mitcham which are also great areas (I'm bias though as I live and work there).

The best advice I'd give is to stay within walking distance of the train line as this make getting to the city very easy (30 min) from any of these areas.

If you're new in town, why not come along to the Melbourne Investor Group meeting. Details are here:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48551

Hi,

I am also new to Melbourne too. Currently, I am looking at buying a house in Box Hill North/ South. In addition, I am also looking at Doncaster East area.

What I need are (1) reliable public transport system to the city, and (2) good public school.

For Box Hill North/ South, it will fulfil (1). For (2), I heard the Box Hill high school are quite good. However, I am not sure if there are any good primary school in that area?

For Doncaster East, the houses are cheaper than Box Hill areas. For (2), it has Doncaster Garden Primary School and East Doncaster SC. However, the concern then is that i need to rely on the buses that travel via freeways to the city -- not sure if it is reliable/ punctual etc?

I also heard that in terms of capital appreciations, houses in Doncaster East probably won't increase much as it is not close to public transport system. Is this true? (I guess this probably also explains why houses in Doncaster East are cheaper?)

Would appreciate any comment on pros and cons of these suburbs:)

I lived in Box Hill for a few years in the mid-90's, then moved out to Blackburn for 4 years.

Blackburn is nicer in my opinion; less crowded and more "leafy", but still near enough to all the important bits like shops, freeway, train etc.

Thank you all for your advice.

I will be driving through Box Hill on the weekend I think to get a better feel for the place. I choose Box Hill over Blackburn mainly due to alot more facilites in the surburb and I work in an office in Toorak so it is closer for me to work at.

I would have to agree with you Glen about the Tafe and international students which was another bonus to myself later down the track.

PT_Bear thanks for the invite but i already have plans for that evening =( perhaps next one i will be free.

I will keep the other surburbs in mind i have only just started the long road of buying the first property :confused:

Will

For Doncaster East, the houses are cheaper than Box Hill areas. For (2), it has Doncaster Garden Primary School and East Doncaster SC. However, the concern then is that i need to rely on the buses that travel via freeways to the city -- not sure if it is reliable/ punctual etc?

I also heard that in terms of capital appreciations, houses in Doncaster East probably won't increase much as it is not close to public transport system. Is this true? (I guess this probably also explains why houses in Doncaster East are cheaper?)

Would appreciate any comment on pros and cons of these suburbs:)

Buses may be more reliable than trains going by last week's performance!
They have their own lane on the freeway and Hoddle st, but get bogged down once they hit the CBD proper.

Doncaster East comes in 2 parts:

1. the section south, and immediately north of Doncaster Rd. This area has the older 3BR houses on smaller block (700-800sqm). This area is well serviced by buses and is more affordable.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=48757625&s=vic&tm=1232147985

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=48757625&s=vic&tm=1232147985

However, many of these are getting subdivided and units being developed:

2. The section closer to the Pines Shopping centre (actually there is another segment known as the Milgate Estate if one was to be very pedantic :))
This area suffers from a lack of transport, as bus routes are more spread out (they have recently introduced the manningham mover - at the cost of reducing other services!). The houses are typically the 4BR+study mcmansions on 800-900sqm blocks

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...mt=&header=&cc=&c=3383762&s=vic&tm=1232147908

There are pockets of larger (1000 sqm + ) properties such as Deep Ck Drive (on the very northern edge of Doncaste East)

As for schools, can't really comment, other than Milgate Primary seems to be very popular, and I know some people who went to EDSC and turned out ok...

Cheers,

The Y-man

Last edited:
Hi The Y man,

Thanks for the advice. For some of the older 3BR houses in Doncaster East, it seems that many of them have only 1 toilet. The prices are quite affordable, however, ideally I would want houses with 2 toilets. I heard that it could be complicated to build another toilet, as it depends on the existing piping etc... Any idea if it will be costly to build another toilet?

also find out one old weatherboard house which is quite affordable. it is 40 years +. My perception is that weatherboard houses are not as 'lasting'. I guess I can always get a professional inspection on the structure, but just want to check on the general view, i.e. whether it is worth considering old weatherboard houses.

If I buy a house in Doncaster East, I may also consider the option of driving and parking the car at the Blackburn train station. Does anyone know if parking will be a problem at the Blackburn train station? how about surrounding train station?

Thanks

whether it is worth considering old weatherboard houses.

By the same token, weatherboards can be replaced individually relatively easily, whereas repairing a brick wall can be pretty serious!

If I buy a house in Doncaster East, I may also consider the option of driving and parking the car at the Blackburn train station. Does anyone know if parking will be a problem at the Blackburn train station? how about surrounding train station?

Thanks

All the stations (and park'n'ride) fill up pretty fast (7~7:30ish?)

Many people leave their cars parked in a residential street near a (city going) bus stop, and take a brief walk.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I've lived in Box Hill North for the last 7 years.

Box Hill North and Box Hill South are completely different to Box Hill Central IMO. Box Hill North is quiet, leafy, and has a different demographic.

For a PPoR to IP property I would be looking at somewhere as far from BH Central as a short walk to transport allows (either North or South), that way you have easy access to amenities without having to live right among it.

Laburnum is nice and has it's own station, not really walking distance to the TAFE though (probably 25-30 min).

Nick

Back