New to Perth

Hello all,

I am new to Perth and need some guidance on where to purchase. My wife and I have a few ideas, however the main one being a house and land package or ideally a property which has just been built.

We would like to hold the property as an IP for when we move back to Melbourne, hence the property does not have to be our dream home/suburb. As long as the area is comfortable and we are not looking over our shoulders every 5 mins:)

Any advice on suburbs?

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, and welcome to Perth
First thing you would want to consider is north or south of the swan river. This is often a major factor in deciding where to head. For investment properties, places like Baldivis and Byford are very popular, as they are affordable, good rental returns and in growing areas. Alternatively there are up coming suburbs such as Alkimos north of the river.

Hope that helps!

Regards
Dwayne

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree about Baldivis...
This suburb is way out on the outskirts of the metro area and as such will suffer first during any downturn. Also, as it is a relatively new area, the prospects for any significant capital growth in the near to mid future are low.
I should know, I had 7 out there!:eek:

I would be looking somewhere like Nollamara, Westminster, Balga, Tuart Hill (all NOR) as these areas are experiencing some major gentrification and are within 10 kms to the CBD. There are quite a few triplex devvies going on around these areas so getting a new build should be quite easy. What's your budget?

Boods

Hi,

Welcome to Perth! If you are looking to build definately look at Baldivis. You can build some quality $300-320K homes on about 400sqm at it's 10 minutes to the beach, next to freeway and only 30mins to perth (north) and 30mins to Mandurah (south).. Have a look on real estate.com at some of the packages on there.
Byford is another cheap area. Personally I don't think it's a very nice area but if you want the country feel and to still be relatively close to the city then it's perfect.
Anywhere north of the river to build is more expensive. Places like Alkimos that HALPC mentioned are going to be really good developments, the land there is just very expensive and the developers can sell it at inflated prices because they know it will sell ($240K for 340sqm). It's pretty far north too, about 45mins to the city.
I wouldn't recommend building in places like Ellenbrook. Great estates & development but I think the area has had its run and prices will stablise for quite sometime.
To make the most out of your money I would recommend building where the land is cheap (like Baldivis) as you can get some great deals on the land itself.

As you are going to be living there, before returning to Melbourne, you would be better off looking for something that suits your lifestyle while you are here.
Consider location of your workplace, schools, shopping centres, transport etc.
All these things are going impact your life and make it easier and more enjoyable whilst you are here.
Sure, consider it's future rental appeal and growth prospects, but you have to live there too.
No point buying a place in the boondocks if you have to commute to the CBD everyday, consuming precious time you could be spending with your family.

How much dosh do you have to spend?

Where will you be working?

There are many options. But no point buying a house in Baldivis if you work in the City.

If you are looking to build definately look at Baldivis. You can build some quality $300-320K homes on about 400sqm at it's 10 minutes to the beach, next to freeway and only 30mins to perth (north) and 30mins to Mandurah (south).. Have a look on real estate.com at some of the packages on there.
----
Anywhere north of the river to build is more expensive. Places like Alkimos that HALPC mentioned are going to be really good developments, the land there is just very expensive and the developers can sell it at inflated prices because they know it will sell ($240K for 340sqm). It's pretty far north too, about 45mins to the city.

I dunno about those commute times.

If you leave for work at 8am from your house in Baldivis and expect to be in town at 8:30am, well I'd bet you'd be considerably late! Same goes for Alkimos.

I work in Leederville with someone who commutes from Yanchep and it usually takes her about 1.5 hours.

No point going any further with this thread until that question is answered by the OP.

A bit of narrowing down on on area would be handy too - Perth's a big place. Will you be working in the city or elsewhere? Will you be driving or public transporting? Do you want to have a big backyard to mess around in whilst in Perth or do you want to be close to the city or beach?

And as Dazz says, what kinda budget?

I dunno about those commute times.

If you leave for work at 8am from your house in Baldivis and expect to be in town at 8:30am, well I'd bet you'd be considerably late! Same goes for Alkimos.

I work in Leederville with someone who commutes from Yanchep and it usually takes her about 1.5 hours.

Well obviously if you're leaving at peak hour times then there will be delays. As is the case anywhere in the world. If you were driving from the city to Baldivis at any other time it would take approx 30 minutes.

Hello all,

I am new to Perth and need some guidance on where to purchase. My wife and I have a few ideas, however the main one being a house and land package or ideally a property which has just been built.

We would like to hold the property as an IP for when we move back to Melbourne, hence the property does not have to be our dream home/suburb. As long as the area is comfortable and we are not looking over our shoulders every 5 mins:)

Any advice on suburbs?

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated!

As mentioned by many, unless we have more info, ie price bracket etc. have no idea how we can help.

However, if you are in the money you will have it all....lifestyle, capital growth guaranteed if you go Scarborough, pots of money to be injected in this area.... google this area, it stacks up.

But please provide more info.
Cheers, MTR

Thank you to all for your responses!

Budget would be about the 400K, and driving is not an issue as the traffic in Perth is a nice change from that of Melbourne!

Sorry for the delayed response!

Thank you to all for your responses!

Budget would be about the 400K, and driving is not an issue as the traffic in Perth is a nice change from that of Melbourne!

Sorry for the delayed response!

Beware that the "freeway" is not built to handle peak hour traffic, it's a parking lot. I would avoid the outer suburbs like the plague if I was working in burswood.

Are you looking for a house with a bit of land or would you consider villa's, townhouses and apartments?

My wife and I have a few ideas, however the main one being a house and land package or ideally a property which has just been built.

Any advice on suburbs?

Psakoulas,

Have a look around the Cockburn Central and neighbouring precincts. ie, Success, Atwell, Aubin Grove, Cockburn Central, Jandakot, Hammond Park, Beelier etc.

Its a growing satellite cbd, major shopping, public transport with a 14 minute train commute into Perth cbd/Burswood, 5 minutes to ocean, 10 mins to Fremantle by car, very good private & govt primary schools, secondary schools, colleges, university, Medical / Hospitals, and recreational facilities all close by.

Strong demand from owner occupiers and rental market wanting new/near new Houses, Villas, Townhouses & Apartments within your budget.

Last edited:
but he has to drag himself over to burswood each day fron there. why not look east and take advanatge of the new gateway projet on gt eastern hwy?

Back