New to Perth

but he has to drag himself over to burswood each day fron there. why not look east and take advanatge of the new gateway projet on gt eastern hwy?

Agreed, not to mention the down right depressing nature of those sandpit suburbs. Not a scrap of character out there, nothing but sand and 4x2's with double lock up garages.

Why not look at a villa in the Vic Park area (Victoria Park, East Victoria Park, Carlisle, Lathlain, St James).

Atwell to Burswood everyday would drive me nuts too.

Definitely eastward, avoid going through the city if possible.

A search of Atwell and surrounds for available rentals brings up a lot of hits. How do you assess strong rental demand?

Depends on one's definition of 'lot of hits' I suppose - 20 is not in my books.

By weekly rents and time on market.

Last edited:
Atwell to Burswood everyday would drive me nuts too.

Definitely eastward, avoid going through the city if possible.

If you think Cockburn Central is accessed through the city your mistaken

Takes me 20 minutes to Burswood outside of peak hour.

Driving anywhere in peak hour drives me nuts. Then again Perth's peak hour is a leisurely drive after Melbourne's/Sydney peak hour.

Instead of driving, one could always catch the train to work in Burswood too - 30 mins.

Last edited:
HAHAHA, I already have that feeling now ;)

So you would be looking at areas which are within 7km from CBD.

Just google areas surrounding Burswood and then check out medians of these areas, $400K your budget you can not afford to be picky, unless someone knows something I don't know.

Just thought about an area they may suit, Maylands, good value........ it would be a townhouse though, close enough to Burswood, just make sure you pick the right streets.

Cheers, MTR

Agree with MTR.
A quick drive over Garrett rd bridge and you're in Burswood.
Plenty of townhouses and villas to choose from.
They are easy to rent, being so close to CBD.
They are slowly cleaning up the area, but as above, do your research and choose your location wisely.

So you would be looking at areas which are within 7km from CBD.

Just google areas surrounding Burswood and then check out medians of these areas, $400K your budget you can not afford to be picky, unless someone knows something I don't know.

Just thought about an area they may suit, Maylands, good value........ it would be a townhouse though, close enough to Burswood, just make sure you pick the right streets.

Cheers, MTR

Agree with MTR.
A quick drive over Garrett rd bridge and you're in Burswood.
Plenty of townhouses and villas to choose from.
They are easy to rent, being so close to CBD.
They are slowly cleaning up the area, but as above, do your research and choose your location wisely.

Also dont forget what his main criteria is -
My wife and I have a few ideas, however the main one being a house and land package or ideally a property which has just been built.

Also dont forget what his main criteria is -

Hi Rixter,
don't know where you would get house and land package for $400K within 7km from city, I would say you would be looking at minimum of $750K and this would be on small block (strata).

Also what Morg mentioned is probably right, there are bargains out there but not house and land, units/villas in this price range.

Land and house packages I would be targetting outer suburbs, if happy to commute then this would may be the way to go.

Cheers, MTR

Hi Rixter,
don't know where you would get house and land package for $400K within 7km from city, I would say you would be looking at minimum of $750K

Thats my point - doesn't meet criteria.

Remember also, he said driving is not an issue.

Last edited:
Beware that the "freeway" is not built to handle peak hour traffic, it's a parking lot. I would avoid the outer suburbs like the plague if I was working in burswood.

I drive east through the tunnel at 5.30pm and pity the cars heading west - then you have the car park on the narrows. No thanks!

Beware that the "freeway" is not built to handle peak hour traffic, it's a parking lot. I would avoid the outer suburbs like the plague if I was working in burswood.

Definitely. A house to live, as much of an investment, is also a lifestyle choice.

A 45 minute commute one-way is 375 hours in traffic for the 250 day working year. That's over two weeks straight in traffic for the year!!

This, compounded over time, can take years from your life!

Definitely. A house to live, as much of an investment, is also a lifestyle choice.

A 45 minute commute one-way is 375 hours in traffic for the 250 day working year. That's over two weeks straight in traffic for the year!!

This, compounded over time, can take years from your life!

How many hours does that that work out to be if ones a fully fledged member of the 40/40 club? (works 40hrs week for 40 years of ones life)

Huuuuuuuuuuuge I tell you.

Investing ones time sure beats a 40/40 club membership & selling it!

Hi guys great forum you have here .
I have many questions to ask but thought i would try to help first .
I'm on my fourth reno's in perth ...mosmon park , cott , maylands and now bayswater my first home was in maylands and i just sold it 4 weeks ago for a very nice profit .hense the bias towards this area .

i would say that maylands, bayswater ,bassendean and ashfield are the areas i would be looking at .They are all very close to burswood and have a great history of capital gains and good rental returns .
last week i saw a 3 bed villa with courtyard 400 metre from the river in a group of six with street frontage for $419,000 in maylands which i thought was a good price .
i'm currently looking at places in ashfield as i believe this is a area that will soon have massive growth ,being on the river and so close to the city .

just my 2 cents
rob

Back