New Toy (investment tool)

I have just ordered a 24 volt cordless double sliding compound mitre saw, I will post pictures when it arrives ($1635), its my tax time present for all the hard work I have done.

Great saw, why cordless?

btw...Those new Audi A4 's look nice...:D

Originally posted by adaran01
I have just ordered a 24 volt cordless double sliding compound mitre saw, I will post pictures when it arrives ($1635), its my tax time present for all the hard work I have done.

Got a Link to a photo on a website somewhere? What brand?

Duncan.

double sliding compound mitre saw = YUM

Cordless double sliding compound mitre saw = DOUBLE YUM

The number of times I have had to turn the power on and off because I needed the saw....

Details pleeease!

Jas

The link is as follows
http://www.grahams.com.au/Grahams/index.cfm?ID=93&ProductView=588

I wrote a nice long email, then hit the wrong button, and it all disappeared.
The main reason I like cordless tools is portability, and I suffer from an illness called extension cord rage, where I tend to become unreasonable when it takes half an hour to untangle an extension cord.
Cordless tools also continue to amaze me, and I appreciate the technology that goes into them, I could be the worlds first cordless tool collector.
Only one tool that needs to be cordless that I cannot find anywhere (decent quality) is a cordless variable speed sander, these just flat out do not exist, and there would be a good market for them.
Regards Adam

Wow those DeWalt tools are sure sexy.. something to do with that DeWalt yellow.. love the 1hr charger! The specs dont provide the actual cut width that it can do.. my Bosch does around 330mm... but its a corded type..

Organising extension leads is sure a pain!

Duncan.

Hi Duncan
The cut is 300mm x 70mm at 90 degrees, but more importantly the batteries have their own onboard fan cooling system, this is essential when trying to impress people.
I am getting close to completing the house, I will have a BBQ up there when finished (its been 2 weeks to go now for the last 3 months).
Brains I would have gone the A4 however I could not bring myself to put 40KG bags of cement or other building supplies into a car of that quality, I reckon I might skip the A4 and go straight for the S8 when I don't need to get my hands dirty anymore.
Regards Adam

You guys need to hang around a building site for a while and check out how to roll up a lead.:) One of my guys is so pedantic about his leads he wont let anyone else roll them up for him, cause he gets pi.....d off when they dont unroll correctly.

BTW....great saw. DeWalt are excellent tools , but not cheap. A friend of mine swears by them, Ive always liked Makita, incredible reliability and toughness.

I think DeWalt are made by Black & Decker in the states as their professional trade range .

Originally posted by brains
You guys need to hang around a building site for a while and check out how to roll up a lead.:) One of my guys is so pedantic about his leads he wont let anyone else roll them up for him, cause he gets pi.....d off when they dont unroll correctly.

I'm sure the materials they use for Extension Leads are just inappropriate now.. older leads seem to have a more rubbery sheath that doesnt retain kinks and bends..

With a new lead I've found it helps to fully unroll it after purchase and lay it flat in the sun for an hour or so then re-coil it in whatever your standard loop size is (mine is around 1m..)

Duncan..

Extension lead material is fine ive found, just dont buy cheap ones. Leads (and all cables) are harder to work with in winter, especially early in the day and some sparkies do what you do with your lead with the cable they are working with on a cold winter morning, so youre on the money there.

I think a 1-1.5 metre loop is fine and try not to cross them over in your hand. Instead of looping the last bit around the centre (making a fig.8) just tape the top of the lead up so it satys like a big loop.

When using the lead, lay (dont throw) the side down on the floor with the end you are taking at the top and it should come out fine.

Duncan, it sounds like you know how to do it, at least you dont rol it around your arm with elbow sticking out, i saw a guy do that on the wekend and it drives me crazy. :D

I love you DeWalt!!!

They have some great drills - with 20min charger times & guaranteed for 2,000 charges.

Unfortunately I can't afford to buy all my tools as DeWalt (doing it gradually from the pittance I'm budgeted for tools per reno project).

However, I have found that painting your powertools yellow & black gives almost the same result.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Cordless

Have to agree with Brains on this one. I use a Makita Cordless drill at work (14.4 volt with replaceable brushes) and talk about reliability. If you have quite a bit of overhead stuff to do, you will notice the difference as the De Walt is so much heavier than the Makita. All of my work (Electrician) is done in industrial environment and, IMHO, you just can't kill the Makita.
JIM

Originally posted by brains

Duncan, it sounds like you know how to do it, at least you dont rol it around your arm with elbow sticking out, i saw a guy do that on the wekend and it drives me crazy. :D

So, Brains, please tell me exactly how to do it, because this (the elbow thing) is my usual MO. I wondered why it ended up all kinky!

Cheers:rolleyes:

Itenerantotter,

Have you seen the ad on tele with the guy standing on a yacht looping his sail rope. (I think its a finance or super ad)

He has one hand at his waist with palm up and the other hand laying the rope in his palm with about a one metre loop hanging down. If you do the same with your lead without crossing them over and then tape one end up when its finished you'll have a big rolled up loop about a metre in diameter.

When you use the lead again, lay the loop down with the end you want to pull away on the top and it should come away easily with no tangle. The more you do it the better the lead behaves as it sort of gets used to it.

Its a bit hard to explain in words, you might need to see it done.

Jimmyjamjars,

As youd know, Makita is very respected as a tradesmens power tool. As for weight, your right. Years ago I used to have a Makita drill with the grip half way up the drill body instead of on the end. It was great for ladder work, pretty light with excellent 50/50 balance.

I will have a BBQ up there when finished (its been 2 weeks to go now for the last 3 months).

Adam, missed this on the first reading.. will you have your new saw when the BBQ is on? :)

Your project sounds like most typical software projects.. 90% done.. 90% to go!

Cheers, Duncan.

I have an original Makita 9.6 volt cordless drill, checked the battery and it is was made in July 1983! The bloody thing won't die and I really really want one of those keyless chucks!! a bit more grunt and battery life wouldn't hurt either.

regards, MC

wow, there is some serious tool fetishes going on here...

another vote for Makita seems to have served well - though I do like the dewalt yellow

I worked for Hitachi for 4 years before setting up my furniture business. I only used Hitachi tools for years but slowly I began using Makita and found them to be a far superior design. The switches are better placed and they are simply easier to use.

Some of the Bosch tools I found excellent too.

Only problem I found was every tool was made for bloody right handers. :D

I still have all my fingers, that's more than my Dad can say. ;)

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Only problem I found was every tool was made for bloody right handers

Kevin, I reckon in the US, there'd be a company that solf left handed power tools. do you a deal. I'll distrubute them, you be the model :)

Jas

Back