new valuation and changing to interest only

Hi guys!

I bought my 1st IP two years ago in Taringa, Brisbane. Looking to buy 2nd IP in the next 12 months.

My current loan balance is $339,000 and is P&I. I really want to change to interest only payments so I can redirect that money to a new investment and to keep deductible interest high. My problem is that my bank said I need LVR below 90% to be considered for IO.

Two factors have changed since the initial valuation of $370,000, firstly I have done a renovation to the kitchen (stone bench top, new cupboards) and put floorboards throughout the unit. Secondly, the unit had city "glimpses"when we bought it, now a large tree has been removed and the view is substantially better.

So I guess my questions are, is it worth getting the property re-valued? Or is there another option I am missing here?

I was thinking that with the conservative valuations most banks give, this would not be in my favour in the current climate. However, a recent unit sold for 370,000 with no city views and minor renovations.

Thanks so much in advance, this forum is such a wealth of information!

Which lender are you with. This would help to be able to give specific answers.

The general answer is that it shouldn't be difficult to do this in most circumstances, a new valuation probably isn't even required.

Back