New WA Residential Design Codes are out! (effective 2nd Aug)

The big news I was waiting for ...

Ancillary Dwellings (aka Granny Flats)

Ancillary accommodation

Amended Heading “Ancillary dwellings”. The provision is amended to remove the family member occupancy restriction and to increase the maximum plot ratio area from 60m2 to 70m2. The minimum parent lot area requirement of 450m2 is retained. Also parking requirements reduced in accordance with sub clause 5.3.3.

Massive news I didn't see coming

R20 min lot 350 (was 440), avg lot 450 (was 500)

R25 min 300 (was 320), avg 350 (no change)

R30 min 260 (was 270), avg 300 (no change)

R40 min 180 (was 200), avg 220

R50 no changes, Open Space ONLY 40% now, 2m front setback

R60 min 120 (was 160), avg 150 (was 180) Open Space ONLY 40% NOW, 2m setback now

R80 min 100 (was 160) , avg 120 (was 180) Open space ONLY 30% NOW, 1m setback now!

The R20, R60 and R80 are the biggest impact. Reduction in open space is a big win and the reduction in setbacks. WOOHOO

There are also some reduction in sizes to battle axe lots

I still love the fact your Private Open Space requirements are so small - well compared to Melbourne :p

Cheers
Oscar

I still love the fact your Private Open Space requirements are so small - well compared to Melbourne :p

Cheers
Oscar

They are good - ours end up more than yours in the lower density like R20 but it's good that it decreases for the higher density lots.

myf, that's potentially huge news for your lot.

any change to the MD provisions?

It doesn't look like any changes to multi dwellings.

The impact on Highgate is impressive - if I wasn't going to do a multidwelling I have a massive fall back plan. Subject to local DAP it is now a duplex block (2 street front green titles possible) with 70% site coverage and 1m setback.

.....so my R20 1569sqm site can now fit 4? Still trying to get my head around it!

Nope sorry :)
You'll need to still meet the 450 average but with the 350 sqm minimum lot size you can vary the size of your lots if you wanted. But in your case I'd keep them as is around 500sqm each.

The R20 changes are really good for people that want to build behind an existing house as they can then do a 350sqm lot in the rear and 550sqm at the front to cater for the existing house.

It doesn't look like any changes to multi dwellings.

The impact on Highgate is impressive - if I wasn't going to do a multidwelling I have a massive fall back plan. Subject to local DAP it is now a duplex block (2 street front green titles possible) with 70% site coverage and 1m setback.

Have you run the numbers on this? The build cost should be much lower and the resale values higher for each of the 2 new dwellings than for the previous 3. Could be a similar outcome for profit?

Has this been something in the pipeline for a while westminster? and was it expected/known that the minimum site areas would drop for some r codes?

Its crazy to think that some peoples properties have just jumped 50, 100, 200k in value and a lot of them may not even realize...

good news!

Has this been something in the pipeline for a while westminster? and was it expected/known that the minimum site areas would drop for some r codes?

Its crazy to think that some peoples properties have just jumped 50, 100, 200k in value and a lot of them may not even realize...

good news!

It has been in the pipeline for awhile - I've been checking for around 6mths since I knew they were working on them. I'm not high enough up the chain to see drafts and things so I was guessing the Ancillary provisions would be coming in but I had no idea about the reductions in minimum site areas. I'm sure there were plenty of people who knew about the minimum site areas but I wasn't one of them but I don't think it was known or expected - if that makes sense?

Have you run the numbers on this? The build cost should be much lower and the resale values higher for each of the 2 new dwellings than for the previous 3. Could be a similar outcome for profit?

I haven't run the numbers - only known the possibility since this evening. The local planning scheme takes precedence so it would need careful due diligence to come up with the answer. It is possible that it would be simpler and/or more profitable.

Nope sorry :)
You'll need to still meet the 450 average but with the 350 sqm minimum lot size you can vary the size of your lots if you wanted. But in your case I'd keep them as is around 500sqm each.

The R20 changes are really good for people that want to build behind an existing house as they can then do a 350sqm lot in the rear and 550sqm at the front to cater for the existing house.

Ta! Got it!

Thanks Myf
Now that throws a spanner in the works for my 3x2 villas.

Maybe this RE agent new about the changes, hence massive increase, I just settled practically next door for $530,000, now they want $680,000 R60, same size block 742 sqm.
http://reiwa.com.au/Buy/Pages/More-...1&listingid=10269791&listingno=3270859&puid=0

I am now thinking perhaps four 2x2, however I think Cockburn Council requires double garage??? Not sure, here we go again. More phone calls.

Appreciate the update

MTR:)

It has been in the pipeline for awhile - I've been checking for around 6mths since I knew they were working on them. I'm not high enough up the chain to see drafts and things so I was guessing the Ancillary provisions would be coming in but I had no idea about the reductions in minimum site areas. I'm sure there were plenty of people who knew about the minimum site areas but I wasn't one of them but I don't think it was known or expected - if that makes sense?

good news!

Excellent news.

Have been watching closely for over a year once i saw what they were proposing to change. Mainly for the granny flats and the change in minimum lots. Now some borderline sites should be able to be passed through quite easily.

And maybe some new stock of development sites will come onto the market for those struggiling to secure one.

Exciting times

Cheers

Back