New WA Smoke Alarm Rules & Maintennace

Hi all

My agent sent me a letter on the new "rules" in wa regarding smoke alarms.

I have already mains powered ones so thats ok, but they say that maintenance is also required at $97.50/pa. I can see why its needed - but is it legally required to be "maintained"?

Considering what they do for 100 bucks its alot - is this about the going rate for such services in anyones experience?

Cheers for any responses

The smoke alarm rules in WA are pretty much the same as in QLD.

The Agent is obviously trying to upsell you a third party service which supposedly is yearly maintenance to inspect and "test" the alarms. (I'm sure Agent get a kick back from these Companies).

Make yourself aware of the legislation and the owner requirements and ensure that your PM includes clauses about the tenant testing the smoke detectors on a regular basis etc.

For example: Hard wired smoke detectors are fitted at the premises and new back up batteries have been fitted to each prior to the commencement of this lease. The Tenant remains responsible for testing these on a periodic basis (eg monthly) and also for replacing each back-up battery as required but not longer than 12 months after commencement of the lease.

At the end of the day, the responsibility still rests with the Owner whether or not you use one of these "maintenance" companies.

it just has to be tested, not 'certified' - remember that.

buy a 9V every 12m and push the 'test' button afterwards.

Thats what I'm thinking. $100 is a bit of a rip off. Unfortunately i'm in QLD for a bit but will look at getting someone to go over and do it I think!

I'll have to remember to put some batteries on the shopping list for next time I have to pop around the IP's. Sound simple enough for me.

$100.. how does one come up with such a price ?

$100.. how does one come up with such a price ?

You have to think of it from the business owner's perspective. The Secretary / Job Allocation person sits in an office, at a desk with a PC, all paid for by the business. He/she allocates the jobs for that day to the technician/s. He drives around all day in his company supplied vehicle and tests / replaces batteries in smoke detectors. Then he has to fill in his paperwork with the test results, give it back to the Sec. to type up in the database on the PC on the desk. Then the Sec. has to produce an invoice for the work to the REA and then make debtor chase up calls if they're not paid by the end of the month, along with checking the bank rec's to see if they've come in via EFT (where, no doubt, the REA payer has not used any reference so the payment can be identified).

...and you want them to do all that for $100?:confused:

You have to think of it from the business owner's perspective. The Secretary / Job Allocation person sits in an office, at a desk with a PC, all paid for by the business. He/she allocates the jobs for that day to the technician/s. He drives around all day in his company supplied vehicle and tests / replaces batteries in smoke detectors. Then he has to fill in his paperwork with the test results, give it back to the Sec. to type up in the database on the PC on the desk. Then the Sec. has to produce an invoice for the work to the REA and then make debtor chase up calls if they're not paid by the end of the month, along with checking the bank rec's to see if they've come in via EFT (where, no doubt, the REA payer has not used any reference so the payment can be identified).

Good business mdoel

Why not employ 100 people then you caan charge $1000 per battery check

I'm actually not sure if you are being sarcastic or telling me I'm wrong :confused:

Based on what's involved, and how easily even a simpletion like me can do it, I don't actually want them to do anything for me for $100 :)

i would have charged $100 just to write that post.

We have started installing 10 yr smoke alarms.After it is installed, a tenant cannot remove.The battery cannot be removed.They cost about $40.
They have lithium batteries..and no maintenace.
Do they have something similar here?

Our "bad" tenants used to disarm the regular smoke alarms.

Hi mark213,
Just tell your property manager to change the back up battery around every 1st of April during the routine inspection and charge you say $10 for the battery.
Alternatively employ me as your property manager here in Perth,WA if your property is in the metro area. I am a licensed R/E agent and electrical contractor (EC52). (Good combination). All my LL have signed my disclosure that I am their preferred contractor for minor maintenance other than for work requiring licences except the electrical one which I hold. (I don't do painting >$199, plumbing, air conditioning work.)
I do my 3 monthly inspections and test RCDs, smoke alarms etc. any problems, I fix. Never had any dramas with my clients.
The problem with property management is.... most of them are not "hands on".

re kathryn d,
10 year battery operated non main powered smoke alarms (the ones that cost circa $40) are only allowed to be installed if:-
a. the wiring can not be concealed because of say concrete ceiling or
b. any other valid reason (no cavity, asbestos material to be disturbed)
Where the electrician can fit mains powered smokies he/she must do so.
:)

Back