New water main connection

Has anyone had experience with connecting a new water main in NSW?
I'm looking at a corner block with potential to split and torrents title. Elec/comms and sewerage run along both sides of the block so these are not too much of a hassle. I understand I will have to pay the costs to 'tap in' to each for a subdivision.

There looks to be 2 options for a 2nd water main:
Run along the boundary to the 2nd lot (approx 29m) which would create an easement, Or run under the road from across the street (approx 16m). The lot has not been registered yet and the roads/services are not constructed so coming across the road may be an option if the developer is willing to assist.

Any thoughts or experiences are welcome and appreciated + happy to learn of things I may have overlooked. How would I go about determining costs involved too?

Thanks,

If you can get it from across the road do it. Try to avoid having to create an easement - always puts people off.

If you stuff it up it will be a torrent title not torrens ;)

Can you go to the dial before you dig website and get the plan and upload to see what's there and where the main is. High light your proposed blocks.

It should also show if there is a sewer connection there or if you need to cut in.

What suburb/area?

Depending on the current service size you may be able to tee and run along the footpath outside the property but depends on a few things. Costs vary of is syd water or a council and also who can undertake the work

Thanks guys, yep, should check that torrent title out ;)

I've tried to upload an image, hopefully I've done it right! It is lot 80. It is on the mid north coast NSW, Taree council

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 56
Being a council they are usually responsible for the service - connection to main and pipe off the main to meter. So they'll most likely do the work to the meter. depending on the street, assuming normal residential street it's an easy day job for plumber, labourer, back hoe/excavator (with or without operator depending their crews)
Say plumber $70/hr x 8 hrs
labourer $50 x 8
excavator $100 x 8
<$500 materials

I was just doing this work with council in qld.

Sewer connection they could probably do in the same day if they have a go but probably 4hrs for the crew above.

Rough prices to give you an idea

Your plumber will need to do the rest from the water meter and sewer at boundary

Thanks again guys, I will call mid coast water (MCW) tomorrow to make some enquiries. Would MCW be the authority on approving and getting a plan done for the work also? And would the owner of the land have to provide consent for this to be done?
I think i have read elsewhere that someone did a similar thing under an existing road - obviously this would cost a lot more so getting it done when the main work is taking place would be ideal?

Thanks again guys, I will call mid coast water (MCW) tomorrow to make some enquiries. Would MCW be the authority on approving and getting a plan done for the work also? And would the owner of the land have to provide consent for this to be done?
I think i have read elsewhere that someone did a similar thing under an existing road - obviously this would cost a lot more so getting it done when the main work is taking place would be ideal?

Not sure what you mean with the road.it's pretty straight forward work. They'll shut the main off for less than an hour. They'll put a tapping band on the main which is for your service (they'll only run poly pipe 3/4 or 1 inch across the road not 100mm main) once the band is on it isolate your service till the pipe is across the road and valve/meter in for isolation.

When you lodge the da for the works it would most likely be picked up. They won't do anything till they see lots of paper and $$. it's not really an urgent step for building as you already have water to the site.

Sorry forgot it's a a seperate authority. They'll probably want da or some form of council approval to show the new development. They well do the plans and determine the connection will be. If you have plans they can match the water to that.
They'll let you know if they do the service or if yo have to engage a plumber.

Fyi the pipes to the house/meter is a service. The pipe is the streets feeding the services is the main, yo don't want a main just a service.

Thanks Bob, ok so the connection, whether it be along the fence line or from across the road will be establishing a service by connecting to the main and the plumber would connect from the meter to the house. I thought it would have been more $$ but maybe I'm thinking of the sewer? Is the sewer usually more expensive?

sewer can be as it varies pending depth. Check the plans for that!

There will also be fees to the water authority for the honour of cutting into their mains.

You could also add traffic control potentially pending the traffic, council and plumber say $1000-1500/day

Back