New World Order

I thought some be interested in S McKnight's views and what is happening, in particular US now the worlds biggest oil producer....

What The Frack? A New World Order Is Here!

Oil. The world depends on it. Kingdoms have become enriched by it. Wars have been fought over it.

It?s well known that the Middle East is a major supplier of ?black gold?, and that the US is a major importer. Well, until now?

You see, the Saudi Kingdom has just decided to *drop* its oil export price in an effort to ?take out? the competitiveness of the new and emerging home-grown US oil boom.

This small step for Saudi is a giant leap for world oil, as evidenced by the correction in oil prices illustrated in the graph on the below. Further drops to below US$70 a barrel are forecast in the near future.

Oil prices are dropping!A Little Background The Middle East has primarily two natural advantages: geographic strategic importance, and oil. You could add in tourism as a distant third (thanks to Dubai), but then again, maybe not. So in regards to economic prosperity, it?s oil, oil and more oil.

Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, are, by most standards, the most ?western orientated? of the Arab nations, and because their future economic prosperity depends on it, have huge political motivations connected with oil exports, and in particular, with oil exports to the US.

Remember the Kuwait oil wells on fire at the start of the Iraq invasion? America to the rescue? Why? Oil, and perhaps the ability to rebuild what they destroyed (thank you Mr. Cheney), and finally a little humanitarian intervention (any weapons of mass destruction been found yet?).

A New World Order
But the oil game has recently and radically changed on two fronts, both of which diminish the importance of the Middle East as an oil supplier and therefore the strategic importance of the Middle East to America. They are:

1. The emergence of other oil producing nations, for instance Africa, that have added to world supply, and

2. The fracking revolution unfolding in the US right now.

You may not know it, but the US is now the world?s biggest oil producer, overtaking Saudi Arabia. Really! If you don?t believe me you can click here to read more.

Now, Americans are usually a polite and agreeable bunch when they want something, but they tend to turn the cold shoulder towards you if you are, er, how shall I put it delicately?? Of little future economic interest to them.

What Does It Mean?

The truth will come out in the passage of time, but the short answer is lots! Here are a few off that should happen quickly:

1. Lower fuel costs ? not just in the US, but across the world as exports that were targeted for the US seek alternate markets. This in turn will lead to less inflationary pressure as oil is a big component to the cost of living. Already this week the cost of gas in the US has fallen sharply? by as much as 10 cents a gallon.

2. A much stronger American economy and currency. Put away your ?I Love China? flag because the era of American dominance might last a little longer yet. Already the US unemployment rate is lower than before The Great Recession, although the stats are a bit rubbery. What isn?t made up is that the floodgates of ?home grown? prosperity will open if (when?) the US starts exporting oil (Click here to read more about this!)

3. Less US intervention in the Middle East, with diplomacy being more politically than economically motivated. Who knows, without the need (or perhaps desire) to be the world?s policeman in the Middle East, America might finally get around to repaying some of the colossal debt it?s racked up.

What To Do?
As always, with change such as this there is a massive redistribution of wealth ? both macro and micro economically. But let?s focus on you, shall we?

If it were me and I owned energy stocks in general (and oil stocks in particular), I?d be reassessing the validity of my investment strategy and my expectations of future performance.

In respect to real estate, the impact will be embryonic until it filters through to personal household finances via a lower cost of living leaving people with more money to justify higher debt. When this happens the natural affordability ceiling on house prices will rise.

Finally, don?t trade in the V8 for an electric car just yet.

In summary, the simple point is this: we live in very interesting times, and this seemingly small pebble ? a drop in the price of oil in Saudi Arabia ? will result is some rather large and worldwide ripples!

What do you think? Your feedback and comments are most welcome.

- Steve McKnight

Very good thread.

This may well reduced the weight on our inflation. And eventually, Rates more likely come down than going up.

But professionals happy to follow RBA band wagon, and scare the 99% by saying that "rates going up next month". But for me, that next month is far far away at the moment...

And finally, I think this new world order, would some what discourage the Electric Vehicle enterprises. But I cross my fingers and wish, this will not Kill The Electric car again...

Thanks for the post MTR. :)

I'm not sure the US dominating in global economic weight is a 'new world order' or much of the same.

Also Oil is just one commodity - precious and incredibly valuable for sure - but in an open economy where goods/services are traded quite freely around the world - oil isn't the be all, end all to economic prosperity.

also that fracking looks a bit off, saw that US movie on it a few weeks back. A pretty boring watch but there's a few shocking revelations in it... like how many truck loads of materials they need for one well (can't recall it now but it is enormous)and people holding cigarette lighters to their kitchen tap and the water (and gas!) igniting. imagine drinking the stuff!

Interesting to watch the timelapse map

DrillingInfo.com engineering research analyst Kevin Thuot has put together this stunning timelapse map showing the history of U.S. unconventional oil and gas drilling starts ? that is, the recent history of fracking.

It all starts in the Barnett play near Wichita Falls, Texas, then shifts west up into Colorado and down into Texas? Permian. In 2007, we start to see the stirrings of the Bakken, which is a raging boil by 2013. Finally, around 2011 the Eagle Ford in southern Texas, as well as Pennsylvania?s Marcellus gas plays, materialise practically overnight.

WellStart640.gif

They are also fracking around in Australia also

The coal seam gas rush

Coal seam gas has emerged as a major industry in Australia in little more than a decade.

The scale and speed of its growth has been nothing short of astonishing: billions of dollars have poured into regional areas; new jobs have been created; state and national coffers have swelled; export contracts have been signed and sealed; massive liquefied natural gas facilities have been approved for construction at regional ports.

Farmers fear they are losing control of their land. Miners and some politicians say coal seam gas offers a much greener energy choice. Environmentalists and other politicians have cast doubt on those claims.

The ABC's data journalism project has pulled together information from dozens of sources to provide an insight into the promise and the dangers inherent in the coal seam gas rush.

There are some 2011 maps here from an SBS link, however there are also around 700 wells in SA (not shown), there would probably be a lot more across Australia nowdays

NUMBER OF WELLS IN AUSTRALIA

Commercial production of CSG in Australia started in 1996, although exploration started in 1976. Queensland has far more activity, with numbers of wells perhaps ten times greater than NSW.

According to the Queensland Government, in September 2011 the total number of wells drilled in the state was 4,489.
2880_csg-wells-qld.jpg

According to the NSW Department of Trade and Investment, in September 2011 a total of 493 CSG exploration and production wells had been drilled in NSW.

5235_csg-wells-nsw.jpg

I thought some be interested in S McKnight's views and what is happening, in particular US now the worlds biggest oil producer....

I'm not sure why you're republishing the rubbish SM waffles on about. Outside of PI'g his blogs are are just low grade content fillers.

As for the US being the biggest 'oil' producer I suggest you do some real research and find out the real story.

His blogs are so full of inaccuracies and strange assumptions they're not worth wasting your breath on.

I was shouted down about 6 years ago on this very forum.

Not because IV is an oil expert. I am pretty dumb in this area.

But because I understand how capitalism works.

When excess profits are being made, capitalism will naturally work to exploit that excess profit, either by
*increasing supply
*finding closely correlated substitutable products
*re-engineering products that use less of that 'expensive' product.

Fast forward 6 years and we are seeing a combination of all three.
We now have
*production equipment that uses less oil (in its basic form think more efficient cars using less petrol per liter)
*alternative oil: gas/fracking
*deep see oil exploration that wasn't viable when oil was cheap
* green energy expansion that becomes increasingly viable at high carbon priced energy units

So where are all the doom and gloomers about finite energy, and that we are all going to enter the caveman period again??????

People must understand about doom and gloomers.
Yes they highlight potential risks, but they always underestimate the effects of capitalism.

If this downwards pressure continues (and I think it will),
The next area to receive media attention will be the screams from renewable energy sources.

As oil/coal becomes cheaper, renewable energy will less be able to compete.

Expect screams from this sector.

And yet it is all a laugh really.

The truth is we need both.

There is a valid reason for a marginal renewable energy sector that encompasis traditional carbon based energy.

The argument was for peak oil of light sweet crude, no all oil. And LSC is in production decline, but as you say alternative options become available as the price rose. I feel that smart countries will use this time to ensure their energy security by whatever means they have available (invading other countries excepted).

I believe antartica holds excellent natural resources. Unfortunately Aus doesn't have the firepower to maintain its claim so will lose its territories. Ultimately the entire country is undefendable but it will take time for that to unfold, far flung claims will fall first

Why is that?

It's the last unexplored (drilling exploration) piece of real estate left. The challenges in drilling there are still insurmountable during the winter as far as I know. Given the challenges and cost you have to be desperate or nearing the end of places to look for moar oil.

I think its all hocus pocus and I agree with one of the above posters that SM is very flaky. I rather focus on smart investing/developing than waste time on nonsense. IMO all this stuff isn't important for property investors.

Aren't we discussing the price of oil here? This is relevant to the cost of living for everyone who requires power, transportation of goods and services and heating. That is pretty much everyone who is not a subsistence farmer.

If the cost of oil for Australia is coming down, I will celebrate. If it isn't, then big deal, life goes on. All I know is that fuel at my local has been 20c a litre cheaper these past two months than it has been in ages.

For what it's worth, when we were in Singapore we tried to compare the price of petrol at the pump, being as our fuel prices are based on Singapore markets. It was impossible, given they only seem to use gas and diesel. Nobody we spoke to had any comprehension of the fuel we put into our Subaru.

Well my personal opinion is that its not very relevant to property investors. If cost of living goes up, then you buy IP according to the needs of the demographic your buying into. If you buy in a more affluent demographic then your purchase will vary accordingly.

During the last 100 years there have always been "major" events every month, year, decade etc etc... and regardless the savvy property investors still manage to do reasonably well regardless.

This is just my opinion. Besides, if when there is a downturn in economy, or cost of living goes up and ppl cant afford stuff etc etc, its a great time for investors to secure bargains to realise their great gains when market conditions change (and they always do). Really the macro stuff shouldn't influence investors. Much more important is the DD investors do on an area, demographic of the area, intrinsic growth factors, vacancy rate, discount buying, adding value etc. Much more pertinent to successful investing than worrying about oil prices..again IMHO.

The day they start drilling down there and you know we're nearing the end.

It will never get to that stage, some one somewhere in the near future which at the time they may not even be looking for in renewable energy
will find a new way and with computing power and the pace it grows just a matter of time,or u end up living out the back of Nimbin waiting for the corn to grow..

Back