Newbie Fence situation

Hi guys,

I'm asking this as I'm a newbie to this topic. I recently bought a piece of land and had the titles given to me recently. The owner of the land adjoining to mine has started building his house and has just served me notice via his contracted fencer asking me to pay half the cost of the fence to divide our properties.

I'm happy with this matter but just to be cautious, is there any questions I should be asking the fencer/owner/council? I'm very green in this matter and would like anyone with experience in this to guide me through. I've had a read of the Victorian fencing laws as well prior to posting this

The invoice states "Double paling and capping and exposed post timber boundary between our lands" quoted at $47.85 per quantity (unsure of measurement here) with 30.5 units (quantity) to a total of $1459.43. Is this a fair pricing? I havent got a clue about fences..

Thanks ahead in advance
Dennis

I assume the "Quantity" is metre of fence.

Is the value quoted your half? or the total?

It's cheaper than the 12m of hardifence I just paid for, that was over $100/m

You are obliged to pay half of whatever is the cheapest material considered "normal" in your area ... or ... the material you jointly choose. Not merely what you neighbour chooses to erect.

Colourbond or timber panelling are the common "normal" fence materials nowadays. Not sure what is the cheapest is between the two ... but if you'd like the look of the paling then just go for it.

You would pay direct to the fencing contractor.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.
Jake: thats my quoted half of the fence cost. What is hardifence? Mine's just plain exposed timber

Lizzie: Thanks for the info.

I think the price is reasonable shifting through different websites on the net.
Should I be asking any specific questions or does this seems pretty straightforward..

That's a good price for fencing. We've just had ours done and the cheapest we could get was $61 a metre.

You can ask the neighbour for 3 quotes if you want to confirm the price is fair. My husband sorted ours out, including contacting our 4 neighbours and none required additional quotes or delayed payment for whatever reason.

I guess the only thing you may be concerned with is to ensure that the fence is installed in the right spot. If your neighbour's house has been built slightly off where it is supposed to, the fence may also be put in the wrong spot. You may need a surveyor to look into this though if you are concerned.

Thanks beachgurl.

I think I'll just do a couple of quick calls this week to see the prices here in Victoria. My fears seem to be allayed about the cost and regardless we still need a fence to be good neighbours so wouldnt want to delay them too much.

Just being cautious. Thanks guys...
Dennis

Make sure you are happy with the fence that is being built. Are the posts on your side or the neighbours? Generally all the fence in a street would face the same way so that every house has one fence with the palings facing the house and one with the posts facing the house.

Hi Graingrower, facing my property from the street, the fence is to be built on the left side boundary of my property but i have no idea which side the post would be on. Would it preferable either way (post facing my property or away)?

You may need to get some clarification as it sounds a little morrow than a standard paling fence ss there is a capping &the fence double palings. the DA have required your neighbour to erect the fence at their cost.

If your buying vacant land you only have to pay your half when you have commenced or completed your build I believe. You technically dont have to pay for half now that was my understanding.

But of course you need one, one day but when are you going to be building your place? Same material all the way around? Developer requirements?

Plus keep peace with neighbour can be done now!

Back