Newbie question about building issue

Interested in buying a property in qld

inspected it (not too bad inside - average for the area)

On the outside it seems the fibro panel (notsure hence the question) is coming off on one side)

Have been negotiating with the vendor (Im quiet cautious due to building condition and am pretty much lowballing atm). The vendor is willing to accept around 15k over my original over which is actually only 7500 more than what i was originally willing to pay.

The thing that concerns me is the panels on the side that are coming off.
As an example of i am going to post this house for sale (not the same property but the house is similar)
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-crestmead-119092075

So can someone tell me what the external panels are?
If some of them are coming off (like on one side) what may be reasons and implications (e.g) termite etc?
What someone could estimate id be looking at to fix (replace and paint etc them) its pretty much one side similar size to the side wall on the linked house.

Thanks

I understand i could get a proper building/pest inspection but if someone of here at face value could give ideas of extent of the damage i will consider this when i consider whether to accept the vendors offer (then get building and pest done) or not to accept and move on to another house.

thanks - that shows how clueless i am lol.

Hardi plank (ill do my research)

Don't have any pics

Is hardi plank prone to termite attack or is most likely damage caused by weather etc

May keep playing hardball with the vendor and get the price i want (well a buffer zone so if there is unexpected issues i can play with)

If the house was built in the 70s and was built with hardi-plank or fibro cement sheeting, chances are that the fibro material may have asbestos in it.

Go to Logan pdonline and you can check when the house was built because there would have been a building approval for the original house and when the building was approved.

Suggest you get someone qualified to check if the hardi-plank is likely to contain asbestos or ask the agent if he can provide/confirm/disconfirm that information..

If the panels are falling off (compromised) or the panels are breaking off. First, thing, I would be worried about is if the asbestos fibres are being released into the nearby atmosphere :eek:

The tell tale sign are the special fibro nails that do not have a point.

Picture of this here
http://www.asbestosremovalguide.com/446/how-to-identify-asbestos-fibro-cladding/

I would proceed with caution with the house till I can ascertain if the cladding contains asbestos or not.

Back