Newbie Question: How do you know you've made the right decision?

Hi

How do you know (or at least feel confident) that you’ve made the right decision when you are buying a property (particularly your first property)?

After considering all of my options for my first purchase (and trying to manage my fears about about getting into debt with a mortgage!), I've decided to take what I think is a ‘low risk’ option that will suit my circumstances. I’ve mentioned my circumstances in another post, but basically I’m a first time buyer, relatively new to Brisbane, single income (approx. $95K pa) with a low deposit and wanting to take that first step onto the property ladder. After weighing everything up, I’ve finally realised I can’t afford my ideal property right now (which would be a house rather than townhouse or unit), but have decided that I need to start small and hopefully build up to buying a house in a few years’ time (and keeping this first purchase as an investment property).

So, I have found what I think is a good option for me, and have put in an EOI. I felt confident when I submitted the EOI that this was the right decision – but I’m now second guessing myself, as despite all the hours of reading and research I’ve done, I still feel like a total novice and like I don’t know enough! So before it goes any further (I haven’t yet heard back or received a contract), I’d really appreciate thoughts on this, particularly if there is something I’ve not thought or should be considering:

• The property is a new build 3 b/r townhouse in Richlands (not yet complete, but will be within a few months)
• Price is low $300s, which is considerably cheaper than the majority of other ‘new build townhouses/units’ I have found in the Brisbane area that meet my criteria and are within an acceptable commuting distance to the CBD
• Developer is a well established company that has completed many other developments and the quality looks fine to me (its not designer high end obviously, but it’s not at the bottom end of the scale either!)
• I can therefore take advantage of the FOHG of $15,000 which significantly helps as I only have about a $20K deposit
• My mortgage repayments will therefore be reasonable (equal or less than my current rental payments) and my total mortgage under the $300K mark, which makes me feel more comfortable in terms of ‘doing it alone’ and not getting into financial difficulty
• It also means that I can put away a reasonable amount into savings each fortnight, in the hopes of either making extra mortgage repayments or saving for a deposit for a second property
• The estimated rental returns) are between $350-$370 pw (although the documentation shows this assessment was done in mid 2012)
• Body corporate fees are reasonable
• The property is within walking distance to the train station (and its 30 minutes train journey into the city)
• Richlands looks to be an area of focus for Brisbane City Council and I’ve looked at the neighbourhood plan for the suburb. Also, there is a new supermarket etc, and what I’ve read seems to indicate that Richlands is an area that is planned for growth

What are your thoughts on this as an option? Is there anything I haven’t considered? And would this be considered a good investment in the longer term (ie when I am able to move on and buy a second property). Is the cost vs potential rent return ratio about right (I’m not sure how to even assess that). I’ve looked at other townhouses and what they have sold for in the suburb and am confused, as there is currently one being advertised at $249K whilst others are up to the $370K mark, so quite a big price range (and I can’t work out why, as the quality and differences between them don’t look that much different at first glance).

Sorry for all the basic questions, but I have no one else to ask, particularly in terms of the Brisbane market. I do feel like this is the best option for me, but am not sure whether I am missing something. Interestingly, I attempted to get financial advice this week (to try and give me a long term strategy and some assurance that I’m doing the right thing) – the advice I was given was pretty much told to go home and live with my parents for a while, save more of a deposit, then buy a house and stay there for the rest of my life and aim to have it paid off by the time I retire (and that’s it). Considering I went in asking for a strategy to try and be more financially savvy, enter the property investment market, and to be in a position where I can help my mother financially when she retires (and obviously be comfortable myself when I retire which is a long way off yet!), I walked out of there feeling pretty disillusioned and annoyed at having wasted $$$$ in advice that didn’t answer my questions or even suit my circumstances! (I’m so grateful therefore that I’ve found this forum which is fantastic for sharing advice and information!)

Sorry for the super long post…. Thanks for reading , I’d really appreciate any comments, feedback, suggestions?!

Hi NZGirl,
Buying your first Ppor or IP is the biggest financial decision and to question yourself if you'd made the right decision is normal.
I'm risk adverse myself,i bought what i could afford and if job loss was to happen,staying afloat wouldn't be an issue.Mortgage repayments were the same as the rent i was paying but considerably lower now,i bought in the next suburb where i was renting and still close to work.My motivation was to get a foot in the door and stop paying rent.
Don't know if my post helps but i'm sure the helpful people on SS will be along to dissect your post and give you some good advice.
Cheers Spades.

Hi

How do you know (or at least feel confident) that you’ve made the right decision when you are buying a property (particularly your first property)?

After considering all of my options for my first purchase (and trying to manage my fears about about getting into debt with a mortgage!), I've decided to take what I think is a ‘low risk’ option that will suit my circumstances.
This is when you know.

Make sure you have adequate property and Landlord insurance, a good PM and away you go.

Can you get FHOG and rent it out? I don't know what the rules are but it's worth making sure.

I'm fairly certain there's rules preventing you from doing that without moving in at some point yourself - need to live in it at least 6 months continuously within the first year of ownership. I don't think there's anything stopping you from renting it out outside of that 6 months, but transfer duty concessions are forfeited if rented out before you move in.

More on the eligibility requirements for QLD here: https://www.osr.qld.gov.au/first-home-owner-grant/eligibility-fhog/

NZGirl, make sure you leave enough saved up for the other upfront expenses involved in the property purchase as well - building inspections, transfer fees, applications and mortgage fees, LMI, etc.

You don't...

As you become a more sauvvy investor, you may look back and see how you could have gotten a better deal. Negotiated, bought that other property whihc had better potential you hadn't seen. Sometimes you buy a great place and then the GFC hits.

What it comes down to is not buying that one perfect property. It is about using the knowledge you have to buy the best property at that moment in time. Accept it. If it is bad, sell it, or make it work with the knowledge you have gained, and apply it to your next purchase.

My first property I feel was a shocker, yet it is still positive cashflow and has gone up in value. Why? a bit of dumb luck and the fundamentals of what I was after was there.

As for buying something where you can manage the debt... you will quickly get to a point where this will be a barrier. To really grow you have to overcome the fear of debt, understand how it can work for you.

I don't think I made a smart first purchase, I look at it now and I think I got caught up in the hype, the market was hot, I followed the herd.
But, it's gone up in value, slightly positive geared and got me into my second property, which I believe was a better buy.
I think everyone second guesses themselves when they buy property, well I know I do, for a few weeks until the rent starts going in the bank and it's all good then lol.
Like has been said, you will be waiting a long time if you wait for the 'perfect' property. If you have done the research its just a matter of trusting what you have come up with and taking action.
I guess you can only learn so much from reading, seminars etc. You learn most from experience, the more u buy the better u will get at it :)

I've seen people over-analyse property deals. They figured out their criteria, looked at the figures they needed to make it work, put together a detailed plan down to the last cent.

I got them a pre-approval. They spend ever weekend for the next 3 months looking at properties, making offers that fitted in with their figures and getting every offer rejected.

Their pre-approval expired so we went through the same process again. They then spent every weekend looking and having lots of offers rejected.

When they came back for a third pre-approval, I asked them what they were changing in their plans to accomidate the current market. Their answer was essentially nothing. They weren't willing to reduce their profit margins, change their strategy or look at different areas (too far to travel), etc. At this point I refused to get another pre-approval because I told them it was a pointless exercise.

There is analysing and then there's over analysing. Likewise you often don't know that you've got a good deal until well after you made the leap. Chances are you aren't getting the perfect deal and you may never get it, but at least you've comitted yourself to doing something. You've also stated that a lot of things in the deal work well. You appear to be comfortable with the location, affordability, ongoing costs, accessability, quality.

It's normal to have buyers remorse and there's a good chance that you'll spot something else and thing that perhaps that would have been a better deal. You have gone with something and analysed it well, then committed to it. This is a greater step than the majority of people are willing to take. I'd suggest you've done well.

Ive had buyers remorse, buyer euphoria, and buyer despondancy all over the same investment at one point or another. Come to mention it, ive had the same feelings about the whole investment in property, delayed gratification mantra in total, but thats another story.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel so much better now after reading everyone's responses and happy again with my decision!

I kept second guessing myself and going back for more and more research just in case there is a magic formula or 100% foolproof test that will confirm to me or point me in the direction of the 'perfect property'. But after reading through your replies, I now think I've researched and considered all the important factors. So now I just have to take the risk, go for it and learn along the way!

Re the FOHG, I've also researched that to death as well, and will meet all the eligibility criteria (and will be living in the property longer than the minimum time required).

So now, I guess I wait to see what happens as a result of my EOI. Just another quick question - what is the usual process for this (when its a new build townhouse, I've had to submit an EOI and settlement is due within 6 weeks or so). Will I just get a contract sent to me and the solicitor I've nominated, or will they contact me first and say yes, and that a contract is being drawn up? Should I be doing anything in the meantime?

Thanks again for all your comments, I really appreciate it!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel so much better now after reading everyone's responses and happy again with my decision!

I kept second guessing myself and going back for more and more research just in case there is a magic formula or 100% foolproof test that will confirm to me or point me in the direction of the 'perfect property'. But after reading through your replies, I now think I've researched and considered all the important factors. So now I just have to take the risk, go for it and learn along the way!

Re the FOHG, I've also researched that to death as well, and will meet all the eligibility criteria (and will be living in the property longer than the minimum time required).

So now, I guess I wait to see what happens as a result of my EOI. Just another quick question - what is the usual process for this (when its a new build townhouse, I've had to submit an EOI and settlement is due within 6 weeks or so). Will I just get a contract sent to me and the solicitor I've nominated, or will they contact me first and say yes, and that a contract is being drawn up? Should I be doing anything in the meantime?

Thanks again for all your comments, I really appreciate it!

I dont know what the rules are in Brisbane. Yet I would suggest you call everyone, solicitor, mortgages broker and agent, tho I would expect a call from the agent to state I have/havent got the house. Ask the questions. Theres a lot of little things that pop up and the first time doesnt run as smoothly.

Thene the second, then the third and it has become a relatively smooth process. All the best.

Hi NZ Girl,

I am a novice myself and sorry if someone has mentioned it above, however have you spent time looking at your finance structure? I find it equally important. IMHO, if you can pay interest only with offset account ( not sure if FHBG restricts this) It will help your confidence when you watch your savings grow as well as benefit paying down your property.

Sounds like you wish to continue to grow your investments and your finance structure may make all the difference.

Please note, this is not educated financial advice, just experience.

If it wasn't scary buying your first place, I would be worried. I still remember the feeling and it was 13 years ago and the best decision I made.

Enjoy the excitement too!:p
:)

Back