W

WebBoard

We have read a number of books on property investment and general investment books - had a not so nice experience with the Investors Club, but have got past that. We have come across a company called Harvard Securities in Melbourne that we are interested in buying a property through - has anyone had dealings - good or bad!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi G
I have no personal experience with Harvard but do a search on this forum as it has been mentioned numerous times.

The general view would be spend a bit of time reading this forum (esp the archives) and maybe joining the Freestyler Network (purely a networking organisation www.freestyler.net.au)and you may feel confident enough to manage your own investment prop purchase.

A number of regular forum members have expressed concerned over "newbies" buying IP's in the current heated market in Syd and Melb - have a think about this issue too.

Regards

Rachel
Canberra Freestyler Coordinator

Reply: 2

I seem to recall some discussion about them previously..................

Time to break free and do your own thing I think.

Duncan.

Reply: 2.1

Hi Newbie,

Harvard are the crowd that stick the CDs in milk bars etc. You will find discussion on them elsewhere in the forum.

My question is why you feel the need to buy a property through someone else. I just can't understand why people feel compelled to do it this way, when buying property is something you can so easily do for yourself.

Basically, anyone flogging you property will be out to make money. Ninety-nine times out of 100, that money will come out of your pocket. Usually by getting you to pay more for a property than it is worth.

Let me ask you this - what does Harvard Securities promise you that you don't feel you can provide for yourself?

Gail

Reply: 3

There's a lot of groups which provide similar services as NPI & Harvard. Some are better than others.

A short time ago I was on the phone to a rep from the investors club. I'd spoken to him about a year ago and he was telling me to buy in Brisbane. I told him that I wasn't in a position to do my 'due diligence' in Brisbane so I wasn't interested.

I was told that they will do the due diligence for me.

Whilst some of these companies will provide a reasonable service, I never take the word of the person trying to sell the product to me, and in most cases, that is the main service which these companies are providing.

PT_Bear

Reply: 3.1

Hi G,

Sourced from http://www.dictionary.com

4 entries found for caveat emptor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

caveat emp·tor Pronunciation Key (mptôr)
n.
The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[From Latin caveat mptor, let the buyer beware : caveat, third person sing. present subjunctive of cavre, to beware + mptor, buyer.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Caveat \Ca"ve*at\, n. [L. caved let him beware, pres. subj. of cavere to be on one's guard to, beware.] 1. (Law) A notice given by an interested party to some officer not to do a certain act until the party is heard in opposition; as, a caveat entered in a probate court to stop the proving of a will or the taking out of letters of administration, etc. --Bouvier.

2. (U. S. Patent Laws) A description of some invention, designed to be patented, lodged in the patent office before the patent right is applied for, and operating as a bar to the issue of letters patent to any other person, respecting the same invention.

Note: A caveat is operative for one year only, but may be renewed.

3. Intimation of caution; warning; protest.

We think it right to enter our caveat against a conclusion. --Jeffrey.

Caveat emptor [L.] (Law), let the purchaser beware, i. e., let him examine the article he is buying, and act on his own judgment.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

caveat emptor

n : a commercial principle that without a warranty the buyer takes upon himself the risk of quality
Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University
---------------------------------------------

From a personal experience, heed the following and do some due diligence of your own. Thankfully i did before it was too late....

"The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying."

Cheers
Watto
Melb Freestyler

Back