Newcastle & Hunter the Place to Buy with 17% Rise over Next 3 years

Sydney property squeeze drives Hunter’s boom time

HUNTER property prices are set to boom, according to a report that predicts a 17 per cent increase in the next three years.
The study, by business research agency BIS Shrapnel, predicted the greater Newcastle housing market would be boosted by the ‘‘inward migration’’ of people fleeing the Sydney squeeze.

It comes less than a month after Residex, a property information firm that collates data on real estate markets throughout Australia, listed 17 Hunter suburbs as among the best for capital growth in NSW.

The author of the latest study, Angie Zigomanis, told the Newcastle Herald a tight rental market, an undersupply of housing and a strong local economy propped up by the resources boom would ensure positive returns for homeowners and investors.

Mr Zigomanis said the market was ready to kick back into life, after a boom in the early part of the 2000s followed by four or five years of modest growth.

‘‘Prices probably overshot the mark [in the early 2000s] and we witnessed a period of catching up,’’ Mr Zigomanis said.

‘‘It may well be that lower interest rates have become a trigger for bringing people back into the market.’’

The Herald reported on Saturday that Hunter-based lenders the Greater Building Society, Hunter United Credit Union and the Newcastle Permanent Building Society had all recorded significant increases to their home loan portfolios in the past year.

Mr Zigomanis said Newcastle was a better place to invest than similar-sized areas such as the Gold Coast, where there was an oversupply of housing.

The report also predicted that Sydneysiders squeezed out of an increasingly unaffordable market would look to Newcastle and Wollongong, where prices were lower.

BIS Shrapnel predicts the median house price in Sydney will be $750,000 by 2015, and the report says new dwelling construction in the city is well below the level required by population growth.

‘‘As the deficiency of dwellings in the Sydney market increases, and affordability deteriorates due to a combination of rising prices and higher interest rates, [Newcastle and Wollongong] are likely to benefit from a higher inward migration of residents from the state capital,’’ the report said

from: http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...squeeze-drives-hunters-boom-time/2601049.aspx

This makes sense and especially Newcastle is a great little city with so much growth potential.

If they are fleeing Sydney for the Hunter, wouldn't they stop on the central coast first?

I love the central coast and I would like to buy my PPOR there one day I think but the reality is the majority of people always prefer to be in a city so that is why Newcastle is a better prospect but I think the coast also has a lot of growth potential.

Great if this happens.....I own a place near Maitland...bought last year! The rents are certainly booming!

Yes rents have gone up a lot in the outskirts towns and regions along with the city area and capitol growth has been very steady in Newcastle.

Why do you think the coast ahs alot of growth potential? What will drive that growth?

Imo there will be little if nay growth on the central coast for a long time, just as there hasnt been for a.long time.

I love the central coast and I would like to buy my PPOR there one day I think but the reality is the majority of people always prefer to be in a city so that is why Newcastle is a better prospect but I think the coast also has a lot of growth potential.

can somebody please clairfy, I know where newcastel, hunter valley and central coast are, but from each of these areas, which suburbs do property investors normally go for???

can somebody please clairfy, I know where newcastel, hunter valley and central coast are, but from each of these areas, which suburbs do property investors normally go for???

Newcastle suburbs and as mentioned close to services and central location along with good access to public transport, doesn't need to be close to city as there is really no city centre besides a few shops and a couple of banks. Places like Kotara and Charlestown are more of the place where people shop so close enough to get there without too much time is ideal. So places close to there to Mayfield, Waratah is very central, as is Hamilton although it has already had it's boom so places out from there are good to look at. Also Bar beach, merewether and over that side are worth considering too.

Bar Beach, Merewether, Cooks Hill are great places to live but for wouldn't be my first choice for investments.

Tighes Hill and Islington have long term potential imo. But people have been saying that for a while now.

Newie

Hi
Would like to disclaim that I do own a house with my wife in Adamstown which is an inner suburb of Newcastle.

I really do believe that this prediction will prove close to the mark (17% rise in prices over 3 years). The jobs on offer and the amount of money people are earning due to the energy and resources sector is propping these house prices up.

Where else can you have close access to all that Sydney has to offer via train or the F3 with the added benift of a lucrative jobs market provided by the mining sector and all the related industries???

To me the town has a real energetic and positive vibe about it (Especially when the knight win!). For those who dont know the area or city that well and would want to look at a potential move into a decent 3-4 bedroom house with a yard (500m2 +-) not to far from the beach (for 400k +-) then my suburbs of choice to make this happen would be:
- Mayfield
- Waratah
- Georgetown
- Adamstown
- Adamstown Heights
- Lambton
- Broadmedow
- Charelstown

Rents are definately on the move in the Upper Hunter. I have consistently increased rents about $20 every 6 months but the market has now taken huge leaps to $120+ pw increases. A decent 4 bed now rents for $500+ pw

I have even had a potential tenant offer $100 pw more to secure a property.

Sunshine

Rents in the Lower Hunter are going ballistic. It is very easy to get 6-7% yields from plain vanilla H+L presently.

BUT, this is pretty standard RE cycles performing 'normally'. The rents are usually 5%. Then prices stay stagnant for a while. Rents increase. Investors move in to buy for yield. Prices go up. Yields expressed as a % go down to near 5% again and then to 4% on buying exerburance. Prices stagnate for a while. Rents go up .......over and over. Same old cycle.

Rents in the Lower Hunter are going ballistic. It is very easy to get 6-7% yields from plain vanilla H+L presently.

BUT, this is pretty standard RE cycles performing 'normally'. The rents are usually 5%. Then prices stay stagnant for a while. Rents increase. Investors move in to buy for yield. Prices go up. Yields expressed as a % go down to near 5% again and then to 4% on buying exerburance. Prices stagnate for a while. Rents go up .......over and over. Same old cycle.

so which part of the cycle do you believe it is in? Bottom, starting to rise, just before the bottom, risen signficaitnly?

Back