Newly built IP

Hi,

Our builder has just finished the completion of our new Ip and wants a site meeting this week so we can go over any thing that needs fixing or we are not happy with.

I am just wondering if there is any professional we can call upon that could come with us and go over the house with a fine tooth comb and can assess the quality of the workmanship?

Is it a building inspector that we need?
If someone knows of any contacts could they post the details

We are in Melbourne

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Marina,

My favourite building inspector in MEL is Norm Marr, phone 0416 194 645.

He ain't flash, (written report not typed) but he is VERY good, and explains everything in easy to understand detail. Also he has over 40 years building experience.

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes!

asy

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 1.1

Asy,

Spoke to Norm and said he cannot help me.

He inspects Pre-purchases and won't inspect a brand new property that has been built, mainly because it hasn't settled and the building company doesn't like someone like him inspecting their work.
Apparently its a bit of a grey area. ( whatever that means)

I have found a few faults such as faults in the grouting of tiles,etc, but I am wondering how many other faults I have missed.

He mentioned a Building surveyor inspects the property after each initial stage but that is done through the builder and its not really up to him to let me know of every small thing that needs fixing inside the house.

Ultimately I need someone to be with me at the Site meeting who is experienced in picking up faults in the quality of work.

Can anyone help?

Reply: 1.1.1

Oh, OK then,

Sorry, thought it was worth a try!

good luck with it :eek:)

asy

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 3

Keep hunting for a building inspector - I have teed up a building inspector for my soon to be built IP in QLD who will inspect through all stages of construction.

Also, my contract provides for a further review at 6 months post-completion, as Norm is right.....things settle and grout comes loose, doors need adjusting, etc. at the very least.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Reply: 3.1

The other thing to ensure is that the builder cleans everything up properly. The best place to look is inside the door and window frames... do you know how hard it is to get all of dirt and building debris out of them yourself. We are still trying to get rid of it from ours over 12 months after our house was built.

Reply: 3.1.1

There is a new company formed on the northside of brisbane but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of them.

They do inspections on new homes before you take possession of them, it was a brilliant idea.

Just found it

Go to www.handovers.com, they do new home handovers in South East Queensland.

Rick
Brisbane Freestyler Co-Ordinator

Reply: 3.1.1.1

One thing that caught us out was checking that the storm water drains were working / free of rubbish.

We found that one of ours was damaged , but by that time the landscaper had been around with a bobcat. We believe that it was the truck that removed the rubbish from the site, but couldn't prove it , and of course the landscaper denied that it was his problem ......

see change

it's better to be guided by your dreams than your fears

Reply: 1.1.2

Ambition is the lock motivation the key

Building inspectors and surveyors are concerned with the regulations and compliance with the BCA

They are not concerned with sticking doors, mitres that have gaps and sub standard workmanship

I was going to start a business where the builder signs a declaration at the start of the project agreeing with basic standards and finishes that would be inspected by a third party

There will be a 3-6 month maintenance period and a 7 year structural guarantee

Email me back And I might be able to suggest a solution

Frank

Back